half day only (afternoon / evening) in Anchorage

Kitty Ellas Mom

I know there's a lot of talk about what to do in Anchorage but I am wondering what you would do if you had only a half day.  My cruise disembarks in Whittier and then I have to have the transfer to Anchorage. I haven't booked flights yet but was eyeing one that leaves at 6 am the next morning (I have a long ways to go to get back to the east coast).   I've made a tentative reservation at the Hotel Captain Cook but would be open to changing to a different hotel.  I am unsure if I want to do a simple transfer that gets me to Anchorage or if I want to do one of the tours, but I'm leaning towards just getting there ASAP so I can wander around as I want.  I chose the Captain Cook b/c I wanted a big hotel with lots of dining options around it but also something I can't get back where I live.  I lean towards museums and historic houses etc. but am open to any suggestions.  I've thought about the tour (trolley? I think) that goes through earthquake park.  I like to stay up late but as I'll probably have to get up really early this might not be a good idea.  I know it will be light out very late then, as the solstice celebration is that next day when I will be flying.  Renting a car or going very far from the hotel isn't in the cards.  I will probably do a museum or two but please let me know if there's anything that is a "do not miss" in that short length of time.  Thank you!

Since your time is so limited and you don't want to rent a car, I would suggest taking a transfer with wildlife tour.  The Alaska Wildlife Conservation center is a great little stop.

https://www.alaskawildlife.org/

This company has been well reviewed on this forum.  I have no personal experience as I always use a rental car or RV.       https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/schedule/

For your free time in Anchorage, I suggest the Culture Center. Hopefully you can time it right to see some of the native dancing or other live displays/exhibits.   In the past they've had a free shuttle that leaves from the Visitor Information Center ( a sod roof cabin with beautiful flowers).

https://www.alaskanative.net/

The Captain Cook is a great location, a very nice hotel and perfectly located in the downtown tourist area.  You might enjoy visiting  the Anchorage Museum or take the free downtown trolley  to the Ulu Factory.  I agree with mapleleaves that a transfer that includes the Wildlife Conservation Center would be a good way to see more of the wildlife and beauty of Alaska.  You probably already know that the Captain Cook is the hotel that Princess uses so their bus will probably drop you off at the hotel.