Carnival Horizon

never_cruised

A few questions if I may

1. Is the Horizon a good choice for a small family ?

2. What location or room type would you recommend for 3 people ?

3. Whilst I accept all the mainstream cruise lines are busy especially on sea days how does the Horizon fair in this respect ?

4. As a family who've never cruised Carnival before you hear a lot of horror stories about the line what's your experience ?

5. From Miami the month we wish to go their appears to be two sailings a 6 night which goes to Ocho Rios , Grand Cayman and Cozumel the other is an 8 night which goes to Aruba , Bonaire , Curacao being we haven't visited these what are your thoughts on the best ?

Just for info we've cruised a few Royal Caribbean ships before and one Disney. All replies are greatly appreciated.

Yes. There is lots to do for everyone on the ship.

This is your call on what you want to spend and what type of experience you'd like. When you select 3 people, you will only be given access to options that house 3 people, so there are no worries there. Some of the differences are if you want a balcony, oceanview, or prefer couch beds for the extra person vs a pullman.

3. Whilst I accept all the mainstream cruise lines are busy especially on sea days how does the Horizon fair in this respect ?

It is likely to be busy. Especially in certain areas like the lido deck and buffet at peak times. Some more than others, especially peak season.

4. As a family who've never cruised Carnival before you hear a lot of horror stories about the line what's your experience ?

Take the horror stories with a grain of salt. If you come in with a positive attitude and to have a good time, chances are, you will love it.

5. From Miami the month we wish to go their appears to be two sailings a 6 night which goes to Ocho Rios , Grand Cayman and Cozumel the other is an 8 night which goes to Aruba , Bonaire , Curacao being we haven't visited these what are your thoughts on the best ?

You will probably have a blast in either. The "ABC" islands is probably going to be the popular choice here. They are gorgeous, and uncommon in most itineraries due to their distance. They also may be a little more family oriented than the other ports. Plus, 8 days of cruising is better than 6. It goes by fast!

Edited by Joebucks

@never_cruised

You may want to list the ages of your family.  A couple of unique features of Vista Class ships (which Horizon is part of) is Family Harbor staterooms and Havana staterooms.  The former offers amenities to younger children and the latter requires all guests to be over 12 and gives those staying exclusive access to an area that has a pool and 2 hot tubs with an aft view.  There is a surcharge over an equivalent cabin for each but helps alleviate some of the crowdedness these high capacity ships tend to have.

Edited by soonernstlouis
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

@never_cruised

You may want to list the ages of your family.  A couple of unique features of Vista Class ships (which Horizon is part of) is Family Harbor staterooms and Havana staterooms.  The former offers amenities to younger children and the latter requires all guests to be over 12 and gives those staying exclusive access to an area that has a pool and 2 hot tubs with an aft view.  There is a surcharge over an equivalent cabin for each but helps alleviate some of the crowdedness these high capacity ships tend to have.

Two mid 40's and a 13 year old.

Edited by never_cruised

15 hours ago, never_cruised said:

A few questions if I may

As far as Carnival goes, it's one of the better options.  Fun water park and they have a Family Harbor separate buffet and lounge built for small families staying in the Family Harbor rooms (Aft Deck 2).  We walked by this and thought it seemed like a nice quiet safe area for a family.

Again, I'd recommend the Family Harbor area.  The lower levels of the front of the ship has loud bangs (louder than any ship we have been on).

All depends on where you hang out.  The main pool area will be busy but consistent with other Carnival ships.  You can find quieter areas (deck 5, deck 15 Serenity, Aft pool)

If I was traveling with kids, I'd encourage them to use the kids programs, have them in bed by 10, I would avoid the Love and Marriage show and the main Pool deck for things like the hairy chest competition and other dance competitions.  You will still encounter a lot of near thong bathing suits and drunks.

5. From Miami the month we wish to go their appears to be two sailings a 6 night which goes to Ocho Rios , Grand Cayman and Cozumel the other is an 8 night which goes to Aruba , Bonaire , Curacao being we haven't visited these what are your thoughts on the best ?  We just got off the Horizon 6 night you described.  We liked the itinerary.  I would use a Carnival Excursion (Dunn River Falls and/or Magic Mountain) to make sure you are safe in Ocho Rios.  Grand Cayman seems safe, as does Cozumel.

Just for info we've cruised a few Royal Caribbean ships before and one Disney. All replies are greatly appreciated.

Carnival is similar to Royal in my opinion.  Disney probably has a higher class of guests that might be better behaved and more kid oriented.  Full disclosure, we don't cruise with our kids because of the stress, expense, and because we don't want to worry about the scantily clad and poorly behaved guests.  There definitely seems to be a substantial increase in the alcohol consumption on Carnival more recently which can be problematic for families.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the advice much appreciated.

I missed off my list Princess Cruises which we have been with once , on Carnival can you purchase sodas and water online before your cruise for your stateroom ?

How much are the drink packages on Carnival ?