We’ve chartered a boat for the day, what do you recommend for a itinerary?

AZFirsttime42

We are on Celebrity Edge and coming in April 8th to Tortola. I believe we are in port from 8am to 6pm. 

If you had your own power boat with a captain and roughly 6-8 hours where would you go?

This is our first time to the BVI. Extended beach time isn’t a necessity. We’d like to snorkel at least one spot, and are open to hitting other islands if there are places you recommend. 20 year anniversary and no kids. 

Appreciate any insight you can provide.  Thanks. 

Depending on the boat - and sea conditions that day - look at Norman Island (the Caves) and the Indians for snorkeling, maybe Cooper Island for lunch and beach time, and then the Baths and Devil's Bay for snorkeling if time permits. You would want to time the Baths to avoid the biggest crowd from the ships.

The wreck of the RMS Rhone (one of the most popular wreck dive sites) is popular with divers and snorkelers alike...

The operator will hopefully have ideas to share based on conditions...

Thank you so much for the response. 

When we’ve looked at places we want to see the Baths have come up as well as soggy bottom dollar and the Indians for snorkeling. 

The captain is meeting us at 8am for pick up. Should we head right to the baths or make that the last stop to time it correctly?

Any fun bars along the water that we will pass? Also suggestion on where to stop for lunch?

Thank you. 

For the Baths you'd need to ask your captain if he would beat the rest of your fellow cruise mates who will arrive at the Baths between 9:15 and 10AM. If not, later in the afternoon would be better. For those going to Virgin Gorda on their own, there are departing ferries at 8:30 and 9, and return ferries from Virgin Gorda at 3:30 and 4:15PM. So since the Baths could be crowded as late as 3:30, 4PM would be the best time to go.

Hit Willy T's for drinks and Cooper Island Restaurant for lunch!

http://willy-t.com/

https://cooperislandbeachclub.com/

Thank you Blue Water. I keep seeing your name pop up in my research. 

If I may ask a few more questions. 

In reading the reviews on crowds we’ve decided to skip the Baths this trip due to our short time in port and wanting to see other places. This was the main reason we were chartering a boat. 

If we skipped the Baths and Virgin Gorda all together, would it be necessary to charter a boat? We’d like to visit Jost area, a nice snorkeling spot with fish, and hit a few bar restaurants along the way. 

I’d prefer to skip ferries and mass transportation, but aren’t seeing excursions that do this other than on a sailboat. 

Thanks for your time. 

Yes the main options are the ferries, private charters, and shared independent catamarans like Aristocat, Kuralu, and Patouche - check those out to see if any of the itineraries work for you. Often the first group to book chooses the itinerary (east for snorkeling or west for Jost and Sandy Spit), depending on conditions that day...

One note - Jost is a good distance from the more popular snorkel spots like the Indians and Norman, and also from the Willy T and Cooper. So unless you have a private POWERBOAT option you probably won't hit Jost and these other spots.

Having said that, there are good snorkel spots that you can enjoy on an itinerary that includes a couple hours in White Bay, and the independents I mentioned are all excellent, just check for availability...

• 1 year later...