3 or 4 day cruise,is it worth it?

cruizinmama

I would suppose if you live near to the port, it would be a different consideration. If I lived near to a port, I would probably try and do a lot of "long weekends" on a ship. If you are flying, it would seem kind of silly to go for that short of a time.

Personally, I have only done one 4 day and it was waaaayyy too short for me!!

To each their own...at least you would be getting away for a little bit!

I've done one 3 day cruise and thankfully it was after I did a 7 day cruise cause I don't think I would have done the longer if I had sailed the 3 day first. The short cruises are just not the same as a 7 or longer cruise. No sooner are you on and settled, you're docking and leaving. You really don't get the full feeling of cruising on the shorter ones. Anyone that has asked me about cruising I always tell them to do a 7 day to get the total experience!!! JMO

We did a 3 day over fall break one year and decided then and there that it was entirely too short. Just as we got unpacked, we had to pack again. Of course, it was better than no cruise at all and we do live only 5 hours from Galveston so we always drive but from now on - only 7 days or longer. If you only had a few days for a cruise, then I'd say go because it would be better than no cruise at all, but if you do have the time, I would opt for the longer cruise. We are totally addicted to cruising and the longer the better. TG23

I have 3 kids that are very active in sports that usually go year round, so it's very hard to get away. Have been on a 4 day a couple years ago and going on another in 10 days-any time away is a bonus. 7 day is perfect in a perfect world, but I'll take what I can get when I can get it. Being gone even a couple days means missed games/practices.

Living for the day I can go on a 10 day or longer, but that'll be after the kids are raised!! So, enjoy what you can when you can!

I have 3 kids that are very active in sports that usually go year round, so it's very hard to get away.

Being gone even a couple days means missed games/practices.

Living for the day I can go on a 10 day or longer, but that'll be after the kids are raised!!

I have three kids in sports/activites too...I admire your dedication to the sports, especially if they are team sports because their team members count on them!! But you all need a vacation to re-charge from hectic schedules!! You should try and find the time of year that you have the least amount of time commitments and treat yourselves!! Everyone can benefit from a little time away from the routine!!

(Not suggesting this just in the realm of cruising...just getting some time away as a family is part of raising the kids!! Enjoy some vacation time together while they are still around!!)

Just did a 3 day in January, having done two 7-dayers and one 5-dayer in the past. I won't likely ever do a 3 day again, since I live in Nebraska and am not close to any embarkation port and airfare is too high for such a short get-away. Just my opinion about the shorter cruises. And it was my especially bad luck that this NCL cruise got shortened even worse....NCL pushed back embarkation and we didn't even get on board until evening of our 1st day, so we really ended up with a 2 day, 3 night cruise. Many unhappy people on this cruise. Anyway, I mention this so that you realize this is a possibility, although probably fairly remote, and that the cruiseline says this is "completely within their power", as long as they get you on board before midnight the first day. Also, I will say that our 5 day cruise was really delightful....so if a 7 day one isn't possible for you, maybe you could consider the 5 day ones. Good luck!

I agree...living in Ohio and having to fly to get anywhere to cruise, it just isn't worth the airfare and hotel since I am a worry-wart and always fly in the day before. Now if I lived close and could drive to embark, that would be a different story....

If I had to fly to a port, I'd never do anything less than 7 nights. I happen to live just over an hour from two different ports, and I tried a 2 night CTN and one 4 nighter. Never again. 'Way too much hassle for such a short cruise.

We did our first 7 night cruise a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Our other 3 cruises were 4 night cruises and they just had a different feel to them, more like long weekends for people to drink and party hard, lots more rowdy kids and drunk people on the shorter cruises. I was nervous to do a 7 day cruise because on the shorter ones I was always sick on sea day, but I was not sick at all on our 7 day cruise with 2 days at sea, maybe because it was a larger ship or possibly the Pacific vs. the Gulf of Mexico. I also think there is more value in a 7 day cruise vs. 3 & 4 night cruises. Can't wait till we're cruisin again.

We are about a 45 minute drive from the port of San Francisco. We also can drive a mile and a half, take the rapid transit into SF and walk to the ship. Last October we did a two niter, the price was great and we had the chance to try a different line and we also wanted to try an inside cabin. I'm glad we did that but we wouldn't so it again., we have learned all we need to know. It's way to short to relax and we aren't big "party people."

Thanks for the replies.We do not live close to any ports and I was thinking the same thing about it being a hassle.So I am going to stick to 7 or more day cruise or vacation and leave the 3/4 day thing for something close to home but far enough drive that you feel away from home.thanks again for the replies:)

Or you can do a short cruise and vacation the balance of the week in the area where you cruise from.

Luckily we now live in Florida, so we won't have that problem. We just need to come into some money!!!:rolleyes:

We have done one three day...all party people..we took are then five year old and she was one of very few kids..We have also taken two four day.one was a party ship, and we did not have kids..it was a lot of fun.. and our family has taken one four day together...just as the kids were making friends it was time to go. We only live an hour from San Pedro, so it is not such a big deal..I would not fly anywhere for a short cruise...We are now hooked on the seven day Mexican cruises..perfect amount of time..anything longer would probably not work for us...:rolleyes:

Archived