Australia/NZ Ports of Call - Our Experience

A.Emgee

Port of Otago website is showing two visits for NAUTICA in January 2008. I don't know anything further about this ship.

And to OceaniaBuffs, glad to be of some help.

We dont have any info on the Nautica for Tauranga yet, i will have to check out the cruise line site. Regards Ian

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone.

I have been involved with the Shuttle operations between Lyttelton & Christchurch for a number of years with all the cruise ships calling at Lyttelton - not just Princess. Chances are a lot of you will have come across me.

The Shuttle mentioned at the top of the post is actually provided by Princess and is contracted out to a local bus operator. Frequency is constant all through the day - at least one every 10 minutes - although first thing in the morning is bedlam and as there is only a certain amount of buses available it can be difficult at times to keep up with demand. Be assured one will arrive! Once things "settle" down, there is almost always a bus at either shipside or at the stop in town.

Transit time is approximately 20-25 minutes (depending on traffic) and is a point-to-point service, Shipside to Cathedral Square and vice versa.

Pax using the local timetable bus causes real problems for this service. As the bus can leave Lyttelton with a full standing load, it means that local people are unable to catch it, thereby causing them to be late for work, appointments, etc. The Bus Company takes a lot of phone calls from irate locals who are finding that "their" bus has been "hijacked". It also takes longer and causes a hassle for the driver when he/she arrives at the City end with everyone wanting to know where to catch the bus back and other sundry questions. He does have a Timetable to keep to!

Then there is also the problem of getting into Lyttelton to catch it and vice versa. Port security will not allow pax to walk out of the port area, it is a working port with a lot of heavy equipment operating. The only way out is via the free shuttle provided by the Port Company (not Princess) and this is operated by (for the most part) by small 10 pax vans and queues get very long, especially first thing. It's reason for existence is to ferry people out of the Port Area and for those wanting to visit Lyttelton township, not as a ferry service to a local bus.

One further point to consider - the ship will always wait for the last ship-organised tour or shuttle to arrive shipside. Not so for those who may have chosen to take a "cheaper" option. Believe me, I have seen it happen.

This is not intended to be a criticism of the original post but I feel that people need to be aware of the wider implications by taking a so called cheaper option.

I can only post on my own experience on January 16, 2006, and things may have changed by now. I would say that bedlam accurately represents how we found the port traffic to be at 7:50am. We were allowed out of the port by showing our cruise cards to the security personnel. We didn't see any 10 passenger vans. The local bus stop is literally just outside of the port gates i.e., a stone's throw away = you could probably hit the bus stop with a well-aimed throw! I can't imagine getting into a van to go there?!? As for the local bus - it was empty when we boarded at 9:00am and the only others to get on with us were the Australian couple. The bus that we saw pull away at 8:40am picked up only 3 passengers at the Lyttelton stop. The bus drivers we came across were very friendly and accomodating to us, the people with the "wrong" accents!

As I mentioned before, definitely heed flyer682's advice about DIY tours! You WILL be left behind if you don't make it back in time. I have personal experience with being left behind and it's not a risk for the nonadventurous!!!

We were on the Statendam in Nov. and used book all our tours with through Hal. Transportation at the ports was very good. There was always a way to get into the city if needed. Yes, several there was a charge but it was worth it and dependable. We walked into Picton as it was the only port I think you could that, most of the others you not allow to. We also would recommend the day tripper in Sydney. We used it. We went to the Zoo and then took the ferry to Darling Harbour where we were staying. We have done more if there had been time enough for us that day. There five in all ferry rides you can take, it is a great bargin $15.40 AUD a person. Does not include entry fees though, like getting into the zoo for example.

We were on the Statendam in Nov. and used book all our tours with through Hal. Transportation at the ports was very good. There was always a way to get into the city if needed. Yes, several there was a charge but it was worth it and dependable. We walked into Picton as it was the only port I think you could that, most of the others you not allow to. We also would recommend the day tripper in Sydney. We used it. We went to the Zoo and then took the ferry to Darling Harbour where we were staying. We have done more if there had been time enough for us that day. There five in all ferry rides you can take, it is a great bargin $15.40 AUD a person. Does not include entry fees though, like getting into the zoo for example.

Here in Tauranga NZ you can easily walk into the downtown [main street] area of Mount Maunganui, which is the beach suburb of the City of Tauranga.

Often passengers get confused with this, in fact the city of Tauranga is about 5 kms away over the harbour bridge on the other side of the Harbour. The Mount [as Mount Maunganui is known locally] is the main destination for cafes, bars and great gift shops and it is only a 200 meter walk from the ship.

When you come down the gangway, turn left and the port exit gate is about 100 meters away. Once through the gate turn right down Sailsbury Aveneue past the police station and the local Information centre [here you can get local info and book private tours which range from a local 2 or 3 hour trip at $40 and $49 respectively or maybe a Rotorua trip for $130 [all day]. About 100 m past the info centre you will see the Burger King [dont go there] on the roundabout, turn left and thats the main street.

Its one of the easiest ports of call for a walk into town.

Often the ships run a $5 each way bus ride into the main town of Tauranga, but if there are 3 or 4 of you its just as cheap to get a taxi [available at the ship] and also more flexible.

If you need any more info on this port [or other NX ones ] just post here. Regards Ian [Tauranga]

Hello,

We will be on the Diamond 3/21 Sydney to Auckland. I can't wait and am taking in all the information on the various ports and sightseeing. I have arranged a private charter on the day we disembark in Auckland. I'm wondering how long it took to get off the ship in Auckland and retrieve luggage? I'm hoping to be off the ship before 8:00 a.m. and be on the tour bus to Waitomo by 8:30 a.m. Does this sound realistic.

Also, I'm wondering if the times posted for each day port arrival and time to be on the ship are accurate. Do you recall if the pre cruise information and itineary varied much from the actual times you experienced while on your cruise?

I'm a little concerned about booking independent tours that take us quite a distance from the ship (all day tours) and coordinating being back on time to board the ship. I know a Princess booked tour will wait for passengers to return, but they do not wait for independently booked travel.

Any info/insights would be appreciated.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Andrea

The ships publsihed times of ETA and ETD are often changed right up to the last minute. A good private tour operator will always check with the port staff to make sure he knows the ETD and should aim to be back at least one hour before the ships ETD. He will also ask you the passenger when you have been requested to be back on board by. Its certainly in his intereste to make sure you dont miss the boat as he will then be responsible for looking after you until you can rejoin the ship. In the last 5 years of being involved in this business we have only ever heard of a ships tour missing the boat, never a private tour group [thats in NZ though].

Regards Ian [Tauranga]

Tauranga is a lovely town walk around after a tour of the area, if you have time. I wish we could have spent more time there; but there is just too much great stuff to enjoy in Tauranga. When I return I will spend some quality time in this lovely part of NZ.

Thank Kiwiwan, your right, after our tour we watched as passengers went to the left out a gate. We wondered about it and wished we had looked into it. We found later that we could have walked into town or at least done some exploration and saw some more. Next time and I really hope there will be a next time. New Zealand is beautiful, there is lots more too it than we thought. Thank you again.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting in here a little late folks, but we are a group of 6 traveling next February. It's never too early to plan. For those of you experienced in such matters, what would be the least costly, yet quickest method to get us to our hotel (probably the Renvevouz)? We will be arriving about 7 AM.

Thanks,

Ralph

Check your hotel, maybe they will pick you up. We stayed at the Langham and we were picked up in BMW, of course we paid for it, but it was worth it. It at least a 30 minute drive into town.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
cheapest

http://www.airbus.co.nz/home/

Shuttle

plenty of them at the door

$15 to $25 NZ

Taxi

normally about $50NZ but as you are arriving at rush hour it could be as much as $80NZ

I usually use the Taxi's as I dont want to visit every Auckland hotel before they get to mine

hope this helps

According to their schedule and map. it looks like a hike from the bus to The Rendevouz. But then, I'm not that familiar with Auckland.

According to their schedule and map. it looks like a hike from the bus to The Rendevouz. But then, I'm not that familiar with Auckland.

Hey ArizonaRalphie...we are Jeanne & Ed from California. Maybe you saw some of my previous posts.

We are on the same cruise as you. Will arrive @ 5:15am on 2/12/08 on Air New Zealand.

We got a pretty good deal at the Langham Hotel. I have arranged to be picked up by what they call a BMW Limo. (I imagine its just a BMW, but thats fine) It is $75 NZD, so about $54 US. I think it is worth it.

We got a executive room for $290 NZD / per night, and reserve the car service through the hotel. It just goes on your hotel bill.

I looked yesterday on line and the rates were $285 NZD / per night for the same room, but did not feel need to change it for that little differnce.

If you are interested in checking out the Langham (5* hotel) just google it. I guess they are a little out of town, but run a shuttle every half hour.

Just something you might want to look in to.

If you would like any more info you can e-mail me @ xdr5tgbvc@sbbmail.com Just identify yourseld as a CC member;)

Hey ArizonaRalphie...we are Jeanne & Ed from California. Maybe you saw some of my previous posts.

We are on the same cruise as you. Will arrive @ 5:15am on 2/12/08 on Air New Zealand.

We got a pretty good deal at the Langham Hotel. I have arranged to be picked up by what they call a BMW Limo. (I imagine its just a BMW, but thats fine) It is $75 NZD, so about $54 US. I think it is worth it.

We got a executive room for $290 NZD / per night, and reserve the car service through the hotel. It just goes on your hotel bill.

I looked yesterday on line and the rates were $285 NZD / per night for the same room, but did not feel need to change it for that little differnce.

If you are interested in checking out the Langham (5* hotel) just google it. I guess they are a little out of town, but run a shuttle every half hour.

Just something you might want to look in to.

If you would like any more info you can e-mail me @ xdr5tgbvc@sbbmail.com Just identify yourseld as a CC member;)

We have already booked at The Rendevouz at $170 NZD per room per night (there's 6 of us) and just over 8 months to go, so we have time to arrange transportation from Airport to Hotel.

By the way, I'm an Ex-Californian, born in San Francisco, stayed in the Bay Area all my life and finally, 4 years ago, moved to Arizona from Antioch. Just couldn't take the traffic and Gray Davis any longer. Love it here in the desert.

We have already booked at The Rendevouz at $170 NZD per room per night (there's 6 of us) and just over 8 months to go, so we have time to arrange transportation from Airport to Hotel.

By the way, I'm an Ex-Californian, born in San Francisco, stayed in the Bay Area all my life and finally, 4 years ago, moved to Arizona from Antioch. Just couldn't take the traffic and Gray Davis any longer. Love it here in the desert.

I too an a native San Franciscan!! :D

I do know what you mean about Gray Davis & the traffic. We left the south bay and moved to Grass Valley 9 years ago...we LOVE it here!!

Sounds like you got a great rate for you hotel. Since there are only 2 of us, the price in not that big of an issue. I also looked at the Rendevouz yesterday and the price was more than at the Langham.

Are you by any chance a fisherman? If so, check my post on the roll call site.

Jeanne

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Thanks for posting. We leave for Aukland and the Diamond on Thursday. Fortunately we have all of our private excursions already arranged, but your info should be very helpful for those that don't. I hope some of this has been straightened out by the time we cruise. The type of problems you had in Dunedin are so upsetting.

Hi

Cruising Aust/NZ in Feb/08 - interested in doing private tours - can you let me know who you used. Email e.steinberg@sympatico.ca

Thanks

Esther

Archived