Sightseeing in a Jeep

Morgan32

We're renting a Jeep while in Grand Cayman. I'm trying to compile a list of places we might stop. So far I've got Starfish Point, the blowholes (worthwhile?), a beach somewhere (the less busy, the better), and a lunch spot somewhere. Where would you go if you had a car in Grand Cayman? FWIW, we're two adults and two elementary-aged kids. We're more interested in nature/beach experiences, historical points of interest, fun casual restaurants, and out-of-the-way spots than in shopping or the bigger tourist draws (like the turtle farm or swimming with the dolphins).

Beach-wise, I've noted Cemetery Beach, Smith's Cove, the public beach access before you get to Rum Point, and Collier's Beach. Any thoughts on these? Am I missing someplace even better? Just looking for a place to enjoy the sand and water without 10,000 other people.

For restaurants, I've got Macabuca, Cayman Cabana, and Rackams, if we're in the Seven Mile Beach area. Any recommendations for good, laidback places on the other side of the island? Not sure where we'll be come lunchtime.

Thanks!

I’d use Google Maps to plot all those places out.  Most are nowhere near each other.  For example, Rum Point and Starfish Point are about 45 min from the port, and Macabuca is about 30 min from port (depending on traffic) in the exact opposite direction.  The blowholes are in kind of the same direction as Rum Point from the port, but not on the same road (about 15 min out of the way and then 15 min back to the road to Rum Point).  Traffic can be an issue, and you’ll want to leave yourself extra time to get back so you don’t miss the ship.

You will likely want to skip anything downtown near the port during the time you have the Jeep, parking can be a bit problematic and anything near the port is easier to access on foot.

Along the road to Rum Point are the botanical gardens, the Crystal Caves, and Over the Edge restaurant, and more or less on the way is Pedro St James historical site.

The best beaches on your list are Rum Point and Smith Cove.  Starfish Point is also a good beach area.

If you want to actually spend any amount of time at your stops, you’re going to have to narrow down your wish list and probably stick with one general direction to explore.

• Like 1

If you do the trip around the island to Rum Point, you can do lot of things on the way there and back. Pedro St James is a historical landmark.  I like Spotts Beach - if you are into snorkeling it's the best odds that you will encounter a turtle, but it's a nice beach anyway - just no facilities.  The blowholes are worth a stop for a few minutes, as you are driving right by, Tukka (https://www.tukka.ky/) is a unique place for lunch with a nice view, sitting outside in the shade.    If you would like to do some shopping, check out Pure Art (closer to George Town) and Beach Bubbles in Boddentown (https://www.facebook.com/Beach-Bubbles-Cayman-192074414137064/ )

Rum Point and Starfish Point would be on the end of that drive.

• Like 1