San Juan with a Wheel chair?

conodor

I've been to SJ a couple times,  this spring i will be with my father that is in a wheel chair.  If i remember correctly, there wasn't much other than very close to the cruise port that i could go with my father.  Maybe hit a close bar or 2. There was a couple stores right there.  I figure we will leave the scooter on the ship, and use a manual one.

Anyone out there have some experience getting around SJ with a wheel chair?  I'm not worried about hills or pushing him, i'm more worried about narrow or giant holes in the sidewalks.  I think after the main street most of the side walks were extremely narrow.

My wife uses a scooter than travels through San Juan fairly well. It is narrower than most wheelchairs and makes it up hills that would be hard to push a wheelchair up. One of the main streets, Fortaleza, has narrowed the street to make much wider sidewalks. A wide wheelchair like most of the cruise lines use would have difficulty on most of the narrow sidewalks. 

Thanks for the input.  just to clairfy,   when you say she uses a scooter do you mean one we would rent for the cruise only. they are pretty narrow.  We typically rent a scooter, and a manual wheelchair.  I'm a pretty big guy so pushing him isn't the issue, it's trying to find a place i can get some "pushable" surfaces i guess. 

We have our own small foldable electric scooter that can drive through the regular doors on the ship. Most wheelchairs are much wider and would have problems on the narrow sidewalks although there are now some wider sidewalks on the main streets. The cobblestone streets are a little rough for either one if you can't use the sidewalk.