Project Genesis ship ordered - 220,000 GRT, delivery autumn 2009

[quote name='Firefighterhoop']RCCL

By the way, it is nice how all the seniors over on HAL are so opposed to this. It is really actually kind of funny!

Remember - NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO GO ON IT![/QUOTE]

They also talk about how the amenities (rock climbing, ice skating) cost the passengers money. Sorry, I've never had to pay for any of that.

There is such a thing called crowd control. I've been on Mariner, Explorer and Voyager and have never had long waits for anything.

Another thing people keep forgetting when they are talking size is that many ports are increasing their size, not only for cruise ships, but for container ships. Additionally, most of these ships aren't pulling a larger draft than their smaller sisters. The Norway had a huge draft which wouldn't allow it into many ports. For instance FOS has a one foot shallower draft than the Mariner.

[quote name='mimikens']They also talk about how the amenities (rock climbing, ice skating) cost the passengers money. Sorry, I've never had to pay for any of that.

There is such a thing called crowd control. I've been on Mariner, Explorer and Voyager and have never had long waits for anything.[/quote]

I'm telling ya, the HAL folks wouldn't be happy on this ship as they will not have blue hair dye machines!!!!:)

I frankly have no interest of being on it or for that matter near it. Certain Caribbean ports are at this point, so overwhelmed as to have all but destroyed them, in my opinion. Can you imagine arriving into St. Thomas with this monstrosity while 2 other 100,000+ ships are visiting. And if you think general standards have been eroded over the last decade, I can't wait to hear the complaints about service and dress codes on this thing. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll stay with ships no larger than 75,000gt and prefer 50,000. Two words you will not hear descibing this thing are "elegant" and "refined",
however two substitutes will probably be "circus" and "grotesque", but then again some folks love to visit a circus for a week and freak shows have always been "grotesque", so enjoy.

[quote name='jeffkauf']I frankly have no interest of being on it or for that matter near it. Certain Caribbean ports are at this point, so overwhelmed as to have all but destroyed them, in my opinion. Can you imagine arriving into St. Thomas with this monstrosity while 2 other 100,000+ ships are visiting. And if you think general standards have been eroded over the last decade, I can't wait to hear the complaints about service and dress codes on this thing. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll stay with ships no larger than 75,000gt and prefer 50,000. Two words you will not hear descibing this thing are "elegant" and "refined",
however two substitutes will probably be "circus" and "grotesque", but then again some folks love to visit a circus for a week and freak shows have always been "grotesque", so enjoy.[/quote]

Considering that this is a mass market line turning out a ship this size I don't think that any of us would describe any of the large ships as elegant or refined. You can have your Crystal, SilverSeas and Seabourne. I prefer to cruise with the circus freaks!!!:rolleyes: By the way bring your nose down before you get flys in it!!!:)

[quote name='Cuizer2']Oh good, at last, something to take everyone's mind off the great jeans debate! :D[/QUOTE]

Do you think jeans will be allowed or will it only be clown garb in the dining room?:D

Actually I disagree with the statement about refined. I think the Schooner bars on most of the ships are refined. There are spots on every ship in the fleet that are refined. And then again, I have been on numerous ships less than 70000 grt where the only refined thing on the ship was sugar!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

[quote name='TexasMom2']Different strokes for different folks. I just hope there aare still small enough ships around in the future to make people happy, the ones who won't sail on the big ones.[/quote]

There will be. It is just that soon the small ships will be 70,000 GRT.

[quote name='Cuizer2']There will be. It is just that soon the small ships will be 70,000 GRT.[/quote]Those are already the small ships. Soon Radiance class will be considered small and the 70,000 GTR. ships will be tiny. And think the Voyager class ships will soon be mid-sized.

[quote name='mimikens']Do you think jeans will be allowed or will it only be clown garb in the dining room?:D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.[/quote]

Jeans are always allowed (except on formal night - when they have to be designer jeans).

[quote name='FitzLA']When you think about it, other than tonnage, Genesis is not that much bigger than Freedom.

At 1180 feet long, Genesis is only 68 feet longer than Freedom.

At 154 Feet wide, Genesis is actually 30 feet [B]narrower [/B]than freedom.

And at 220,000 tons, Genesis is only 60,000 tons larger. Okay, maybe thats a lot...but not THAT much. Freedom is 70,000 tons larger than Radiance class.[/quote]

The width listed for Genesis in the press release is the width at waterline level, 154 feet.

Voyager class and Freedom class are 126 feet at waterline level.

The maximum width you see published in RCCL specs is at the bridge wings. Voyager class is about 161 feet at the bridge wings. Freedom is about 184 at the bridge wings. I have not seen this stated yet for genesis class

I just saw an announcement on the news about this ship. They say it will carry [SIZE=4]6,400 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]passengers, not 5400. That's a passenger / space ratio of 34.38, and that's not even including the crew/staff (will that add another 2,000???):o [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]no thank you.....:cool: [/SIZE]

[quote name='DHADEN']I just saw an announcement on the news about this ship. They say it will carry [SIZE=4]6,400 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]passengers, not 5400. That's a passenger / space ratio of 34.38, and that's not even including the crew/staff (will that add another 2,000???):o [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]no thank you.....:cool: [/SIZE][/quote]

It is 5,400 with double occupancy per cabin. 6,400 would be close to maximum capacity additional berths are full.

[quote name='kiltilad']Project Genesis, eh? Does this mean it will have a disco with a Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan theme? ROFL[/quote]

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Wow.............I wish it did.....LOL.:D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Archived