Cruise line insurance?

yvrbos

We are sailing Celebrity next January and were wondering about travel insurance. I am traveling from Boston and my sister is traveling from Canada. We would like to get the same policy. Does it make sense to use the Celebrity travel insurance to make it easier? Or should we stay away from cruise line travel insurance?

16 minutes ago, yvrbos said:

We are sailing Celebrity next January and were wondering about travel insurance. I am traveling from Boston and my sister is traveling from Canada. We would like to get the same policy. Does it make sense to use the Celebrity travel insurance to make it easier? Or should we stay away from cruise line travel insurance?

For most people, good third party insurance is often cheaper with much better coverage.  You should, check out tripinsurancestore.com on insuremytrip.com and call them with questions.  Assuming your sister is a Canadian citizen, she will have to take a different route.

If you are comparing coverage with Celebrity Cruise Care, here are some places where third party plans should be better:

• Celebrity only covers items purchased through Celebrity.  
  • Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage is a 75% cruise credit with a 1 year expiration date, as opposed to cash back. Plus, CFAR excludes flights purchased through Celebrity.
  • Medical coverage is extremely low ($10K).
  • Medical Evac is only (25K) which may not be enough, depending on where you are sailing to.
  • No waiver of pre-existing conditions.
  • Trip Interruption benefits max out at 100% of your trip cost.  Others are usually 150%.

Good luck.  Talking with a good broker can be helpful.  Also, sometimes purchasing within 14-21 days of your trip deposit is sometimes a requirement to waive pre-existing conditions clauses in many policies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yvrbos said:

I would also be very careful and research for your sister since she is Canadian. There are some exclusions for cruiseline insurance for Canadians from certain provinces or localities.