Transatlantic Crossing

koalabear6314

We're considering the Navigator crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Funchal this April and were hoping to gather some opinions on this type of sailing. We've previously sailed on Silversea, Seabourn, and recently Seadream, but these were on port intensive cruises in the Med and Caribbean.

We have crossed the Atlantic on QM2, and loved all the days at sea, but the ship had so many activities on offer. Will the Navigator have enough to keep us occupied for 8 days at sea ?

Any opinions, good or bad, would be welcome.

Many thanks.

I have not been on the Navigator.

However,last April,we were on the Voyager's cruise from Ft.Lauderdale to Funchal.

We were blessed with 8 days of glorious weather,so much so that the Captain said he had never known such an early crossing with so much sun.The ship was only half full,and so service was outstanding.

Unlike your Navigator's cruise,which is a "Spotlight on Theatre",our's was on Frank Sinatra comprising a Big Band,and an excellent singer.

I would think that given the nature of the cruise,sufficient activities would be available in case the weather was not conducive to sunbathing.

I was on the Navigator for 10 days, LA to Tahiti this fall. We had 8 sea days in a row. I am a huge lover of sea days and I must say they flew by. For some reason I had a hard time waking up the first few days and a lot of my time was spent napping (I guess I was exhausted). There is always something going on and once I woke up I stayed busy. I enjoyed a little bit of everything and a lot of doing nothing as well. It was a great trip.

I'll be on that cruise, only just made a last minute change to go on to Monte Carlo. I've also done a number of other crossings, most longer than this one. I can say without hesitation that the days will be filled with "just enough" activities that the time will fly by. Although I haven't sailed the Navigator before, the other ships have always pulled out the stops with magnificent theme lunches and other activities. As I've mentioned on other threads there is an exciting lineup of talent on this particular crossing. Or you can sign up for the Cordon Bleu classes, which will fill three half-days, two dinners and three receptions (yeah, like we need any more free drinks! Oh well, force yourself).

If you do decide to take the cruise, I really urge you to stay on in Funchal for a couple of days. That is such a beautiful time of year with all the flowers coming into bloom. And the tourist season has not yet moved into (crowded) full swing. It feels really strange to be going on with the ship instead of staying in Funchal this trip. I won't bore the rest of the board, but feel free to email me if you want any more info on Funchal.

JoanneB, your post is encouraging to me, as I have often wondered whether a crossing will be boring, even thought I love "sea days" on a cruise! I think about 3-4 over 14 days is perfect. Trying to get to the point, (when I have the time and money) where 7-8 would also be nice at the end of a port intensive cruise.

That's kind of what we'll have, on my upcoming Mariner cruise, Auckland to LA. It's 18 days, with the first 10 port-intensive through NZ, Tahiti and French Polynesia, then 8 straight sea days. I've yet to even HAVE a sea day on RSSC -- my Voyager cruise in May was 12 days with a port every day. But I've read enough on this board to believe that there will be plenty to keep me as busy (or un-busy!) as I want. Ours is also a spotlight cruise, with the spotlight on film, which sounds great to me as I'm a movie lover. The website says this about it:

"From the burgeoning film industries of New Zealand and Australia to Pacific Islands captured in the cinema, we have 18 nights at the movies and plenty of opportunities to discuss film with experts from North America and New Zealand. And our celebration continues at dinner when the Seven Seas Mariner's chefs once again recreate some classic film meals, including Babette's Feast, the exotic dishes from Like Water for Chocolate and the towering timpano from Big Night. Here's a Pacific crossing with Hollywood style when we shine our Spotlight on the Movies."

I imagine on yours they'll have some great theatre nights, as well as fascinating lectures and discussions!

I haven't yet sailed on Seabourn, SeaDream or Silversea, but from most of what I've read, they are similar cruising experiences, in terms of being on the upscale lines. If you enjoyed them, I have no doubt you'll enjoy Radisson!

LeeAnne

Hi ,

We were on a 26 day cruise on the Navigator and it was about 18 sea days. Yippeee. They had some of the most inventive ways to keep you as busy as you would like. Trust me you'll love the Navigator. Perfect size, and great comp[liment of passengers.

Hownnder

I just returned from the Navigator. Let me say if you have a tendency towards sea sickness it might at times be a bit rough with a crossing. The ship does tend to "roll" a bit more then other ships I've been told. I didn't have a problem but my S.O. (and about 1/2 the passengers) did one or two nights, the first time he's ever gotten sick on a cruise.

If you do decide to do the crossing, and you're not sure about your stomach, I'd suggest you stick with a lower floor and as close to mid ship as possible. The night my S.O. got sick, I pulled him out of bed and insisted he go to Compass Rose for dinner as it was much calmer sitting in the restaurant.

I have to admit that I have some concern about the stability of the ship, but was able to get the larger size cabin on deck 6, so I moved down a couple decks. I don't usually get sea sick, rather I enjoy the roll of the ship. But only to a certain point. I've had success with sea bands, and whether they are placebo or not, if they work I'm happy.

However, all said, the spring crossing is usually pretty smooth as long as you stay south of the Azores. I'm more concerned with the Dover-Monte Carlo in August, as that can be pretty rought. I don't anticipate any rough seas on the crossing.

Returned in December from an L.A. to Tahiti to L.A. cruise on the Navigator. It was wonderful! The entertainers that they brought on were not very good but the ship's entertainers were. There was so much to do every day that I had trouble fitting everything in. Ping Pong tournaments, bocce ball, golf games, needlepoint, arts and crafts, Teatime and trivia and they even had a scavenger hunt which my S.O. and I won! Transderm is great for seasickness. It is a prescription and pricey but well worth it. Best get a stateroom near the front of the ship, the vibration is not bad there. Do not get 855 which is right next to the airconditioning unit and is noisy and has lots of vibration. Am going on the transatlantic crossing on April 21st to Funchal and Monaco and going to Provence for a few days after the cruise is over. I live in Northern California.

Margaretrose, my goodness, so much good information on your first post! A big welcome to this board, and we hope to hear more from you in the future! That med that you were talking about for seasickness....did you get it from your Dr. at home, or on the ship. The only one I remember them dispensing from the receiption desk is Meclazine. Transderm almost sounds like the "patch" I have heard about on other threads.

jhp, yes transderm is a patch you put behind your ear. It lasts about three days. Got the RX from my doctor - its costs about $8.00 a patch at costco. I guess I'm just very enthusiastic about Radisson. After we complained about the air conditioner and vibration on the Navigator they gave us each $1500 towards the next cruise which was pretty decent of them. Its Theater at Sea so should be fun. Ed Asner, Patricia Neal, Leslie Uggams, Cherry Jones, etc. Can't wait!

We Loved the entire intinerary. You will too. The ship was practically filled cabin wise, as there were many singles. The entertainment as Margaret Rose has described was fairly poor except for the foursome of singers. They also had a concert pianist who was fantastic. However, you will have more interesting things to do on Radisson than any other cruise line I have traveled on and that's about 20 lines. I honetly believe that the passengers we met were more interesting than the entertainment.

Go for it , as I think you'll love it.

Howndder

Archived