Mexican Riviera Cruise

richcrow

We're taking the Oosterdam out of San Diego in April for a seven day Mexican Riviera trip. I don't know how this compares to other times of year, because we haven't actually gone yet, but, looking at the shore excursions, it appears that the whale watching excursions are only available from December through March. So, if you're a nature lover and would like to see the whales, you might keep that in mind.

Paul Noble

DW and I are thinking about booking this cruise out of San Diego. Is there a particular time of the year that is better than others in taking this cruise?

Thanks,

Richard & judie

Just returned on Saturday from this cruise and while we really enjoyed the whale watching, we'd choose a warmer time of year if we were to do it again.

Just returned on Saturday from this cruise and while we really enjoyed the whale watching, we'd choose a warmer time of year if we were to do it again.

How warm was warm in Mexico when you went? We're also going in Jan.

How warm was warm in Mexico when you went? We're also going in Jan.

We didn't need jackets in Cabo or Mazatlan but several times when we were out on the balcony, we needed the blankets over us. We didn't go to the beach so I can't speak as to the water.

I was just there the beging of January. We had 80's the whole time, but cooled a little in the evening. The water temp was almost too cold for me to swim, but not quite. Winter is the dry time down there. In the summer it can get into 100's with 90% humidity. Most feel fall, then spring to be the best time to go for weather. December to early March for whales.

I was just there the beging of January. We had 80's the whole time, but cooled a little in the evening.

80's for January sounds fine to me. Since we're from NYC anything above 50 in January is warm :D

Herb, you will love the weather! Bring shorts for sure! Make sure you look for whales on the approach to Cabo. Also the sea day after PV you should pass Cabo around noon. I saw lots of whales breaching from the ship with Cabo behind them. What a sight! In my opinion January is the best time to go. I will be there again at the end of Feb on the "O" so I can compare, lol.

We're from Alaska but were never really hot - and last two sea days (February 2 and 3) were too cold on the ship and quite windy on the deck. The Caribbean is nicer in January but my husband (I'd never call him "Darling"!) is sick and tired of flying to Ft. Lauderdale.

The weather here in San Diego is generally all over the board, but never too hot or too cold. We have very low humidity. One day it cam be 65 and the next day it can be 80. Our summers do not get very hot and, if so, usually not until late August. (The best days of the year seem to be July 4, Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas.)

I never go out in San Diego without a jacket, even in August. The ocean breeze is always there. The first day and half going south on a cruise will generally be cooler due to low humidity and mild temperatures....very different from Florida. Hope this helps!

We have been to the Mexican Riveria in both March and November. The whale watching should be fine in December. The temps may be a bit chilly on the way to Mexico at that time of year, but they quickly warm up once you arrive in Mexico. I highly reccommend the pirate ship whale watching excursion if offered. They turn off the motors and you are under full sail. From what I understand,the whales don't like the sound of the motors, but didn't seem to mind the sailing ship at all. DH was able to capture two whales breeching at the same time on his camcorder. Have a wonderful cruise.

I just noticed that you arer from Mobile. We are in Gainesville, Fl and found it a bit chilly, so I would suggest to throw in a light jacket or sweater. It's a might cold for us from the south while at sea. Have a wonderful time on your cruise, and enjoy the whales.

Richard, make note. Official whale watching season is Jan through March. There will be no (legal) whale watching tours in Dec. As I understand it the whales start to show up in Nov. Dec is when they mate. The Mexican government wants them left alone for that. Thus, tours dont start until Jan. You should still have a very good chance seeing whales from the ship. Keep your eyes peeled around Cabo and PV.

The official whale-watch season in Puerto vallarta always starts on Dec. 15.... so I think it will be the same in Cabo.

However you might see whales from the ship before that date or maybe if you make an excursion by ship also...

Archived