A BIG BIG BIGGEST ship Not Princess thankfully

FredS

If Princess were to commission a ship this size, it would certainly be good news for this board. We’ve already got threads about crowded pools, crowded buffets, inability to tender in a reasonable amount of time – a 5400 passenger ship is only going to magnify those problems and that type of Wal-Marting of the industry will mean lower quality. The cruise lines can barely process the number of people they have now on a 7-day cruise. And I doubt that this will mean more choice for anyone – the additional room on these ships will be used to house the additional 2000 passengers. Island will be overrun – think tendering in Grand Cayman is an issue now? – and ecosystems will not be able to handle the influx of people.

Great idea, RCI. :rolleyes:

If any line can manage it, RCI can. I don't think Princess could based on the poor results from the Grand class. I agree with you that Princess should stick to smaller ships and leave the larger ones to other lines. I will be curious to see how successful the Freedom is before I make judgments on the Endeavor class.

I guess that would mean use on the cruisecal site would go up. Cruising fans would check which ports the "Hummer of the Seas" would be going to and what days and not book a cruise going to the same ports.

BTW, had to wait for an Expedition to pull out of a parking space in my doctor's parking lot this morning. That's one ugly car. Probably doesn't do well in the windy weather we get here. And I imagine it gets half the mileage of my sedan.

Give me good value for my $$, I will love to cruise on it. Here is business competition coming at Princes. All those posters who worry about Princess's bottom line -- worry some more. There are enough people like me who will switch given a good deal. /Sultan

If any line can manage it, RCI can. I don't think Princess could based on the poor results from the Grand class. I agree with you that Princess should stick to smaller ships and leave the larger ones to other lines. I will be curious to see how successful the Freedom is before I make judgments on the Endeavor class.

You mean RCI is going to modify island infrastructure so that all 5400 people can have a nice peaceful visit? And they are going to change the habits of people so they can rid the ship of all the garbage and waste of passenger twice the number that they have now? RCI or no, any cruise line can offer a better quality experience on a smaller ship. I would be very happy if Princess would stick to smaller ships and hope they do. I’d prefer not to sail on Target-of-the-Seas.

Give me good value for my $$, I will love to cruise on it. Here is business competition coming at Princes. All those posters who worry about Princess's bottom line -- worry some more. There are enough people like me who will switch given a good deal. /Sultan
There is no way that processing 5400 people a week can result in a quality cruise experience…so if you’re willing to sacrifice quality for price, have at it.

You mean RCI is going to modify island infrastructure so that all 5400 people can have a nice peaceful visit? And they are going to change the habits of people so they can rid the ship of all the garbage and waste of passenger twice the number that they have now? RCI or no, any cruise line can offer a better quality experience on a smaller ship. I would be very happy if Princess would stick to smaller ships and hope they do. I’d prefer not to sail on Target-of-the-Seas. There is no way that processing 5400 people a week can result in a quality cruise experience…so if you’re willing to sacrifice quality for price, have at it.

See post above. Taken your happy pill today?

I'm sure that RCCL considered of all of these complaints and much much more before building these ships. Its not as tho they are going to randomly build a ship without any consideration.

Trust me when I tell you that these ships will be filled! It may not be the same type of vacation that some of you personally enjoy, but I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who do.

See post above. Taken your happy pill today?
:rolleyes:

You could have directed me to the “post above” without the snippy remark. It would be nice if you could debate a topic without making attacks – I’d hate attacks to be your only means of debate.

Assumptions Assumptions

Everyone agrees that a 7-day cruise is too short. So with larger ships the minimum cruise will be 10 to 12 days (at the price of Princess's 7-day cruises). /Sultan

....There is no way that processing 5400 people a week can result in a quality cruise experience…so if you’re willing to sacrifice quality for price, have at it.

Trust me when I tell you that these ships will be filled! It may not be the same type of vacation that some of you personally enjoy, but I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who do.

That's probably true--there are a lot of people whose idea of a good vacation is very different from mine. Like my dad always says, everyone else's hobby is crazy. :)

:rolleyes:

You could have directed me to the “post above” without the snippy remark. It would be nice if you could debate a topic without making attacks – I’d hate attacks to be your only means of debate.

Ditto. It is the only way you post. I'm pretty sure you would win any snippy contest.

Trust me when I tell you that these ships will be filled!

Absolutely! And my crystal ball is down for repairs today, so I can't predict doom, failure and a horrible cruise experience for those aboard. Guess I'm just one of those "choice is good, alternatives are better, and I want everyone to be able to have fun cruising" kinds of people.

I'm not sure if your last cruise with RCI was really in 1986 or not, but we sailed them last year and in 2003 and the process was very efficient. It probably depends on the departure port more than anything else. The Grand out of Galveston is a good example.

I want to sail on the Freedom, but not until the novelty wears off and the prices come down. Probably 2007 or 2008.

I can see the new Pinnacle Princess right now. Two MUTS, a double size shopping cart handle on the back of the ship. Looking good to me. 6500 passengers. Want to bet that we see something like this before long???;)

Absolutely! And my crystal ball is down for repairs today, so I can't predict doom, failure and a horrible cruise experience for those aboard. Guess I'm just one of those "choice is good, alternatives are better, and I want everyone to be able to have fun cruising" kinds of people.

Well said, JMB410!!

I must say... I'm gobsmacked. I'm young, I enjoy novelty... but can you imagine? It's not that object to the size of the ship itself (from a technological point of view, I'd be even in awe) but to the impact it has on cruise port and the sea itself.

Already think Saint-Thomas is a nightmare? Imagine several ships that size in ports! Where is the experience of travelling abroad when everywhere you turn, there's another tourist. Damn, the island has 51.000 inhabitants. Sooner or later, the nuisance to the locals and the environment will be greater than the benefits of mass tourism and cruise ships might not be as welcome.

It's a shame really.

I can see the new Pinnacle Princess right now. Two MUTS, a double size shopping cart handle on the back of the ship. Looking good to me. 6500 passengers. Want to bet that we see something like this before long???;)

Two MUTS! :eek:

The 220,000-gross-registered-ton new vessel will be 360 metres long and carry 5,400 passengers, .

Will it have moving sidewalks or golf carts to get you from one end of the ship to the other?

Maybe it'll be the first ship ever where you lose weight from all the walking from your cabin to the restaurant and back!!!:D

It's ironic actually. I'm currently reading a book that chronicles the cruise ship industry from the beginning and many years ago, one of the founders of NCL was thought crazy for dreaming of something just like this! He ultimately was forced out of the company when he wouldn't give on this idea. Amazing that what was once thought of as impossible and impractical is now "new" and "innovative". Throughout history, the only reason the cruiselines built bigger ships was to maximize the profit dollar. Not to offer a better experience for the passenger, but to get the largest number of people onboard and operate the ship more cost effectively.

I, for one, have no desire to sail on a ship of this size that carries this many passengers. I have no desire to sail on the Freedom of the Seas either. Can you imagine even walking from one end of the ship to the other? From top to bottom? I've only been a cruise addict for the last 6 years or so, but I'm already becoming afraid of the direction the industry is heading. I'm afraid that at this rate cruising will no longer be the vacation that I love. :(

Ditto. It is the only way you post. I'm pretty sure you would win any snippy contest.

I’m sorry you don’t appreciate the tone of my posts – quite frankly, I'm not enamored by yours either. The tone of my posts continuously vary, so it’s difficult for me to understand how I only post one way. But again, what has this got to do with the topic? You haven’t really answered my query about environment, island infrastructure and waste…I guess you intend not to.

It's ironic actually. I'm currently reading a book that chronicles the cruise ship industry from the beginning and many years ago, one of the founders of NCL was thought crazy for dreaming of something just like this! He ultimately was forced out of the company when he wouldn't give on this idea. Amazing that what was once thought of as impossible and impractical is now "new" and "innovative". Throughout history, the only reason the cruiselines built bigger ships was to maximize the profit dollar. Not to offer a better experience for the passenger, but to get the largest number of people onboard and operate the ship more cost effectively.

I, for one, have no desire to sail on a ship of this size that carries this many passengers. I have no desire to sail on the Freedom of the Seas either. Can you imagine even walking from one end of the ship to the other? From top to bottom? I've only been a cruise addict for the last 6 years or so, but I'm already becoming afraid of the direction the industry is heading. I'm afraid that at this rate cruising will no longer be the vacation that I love. :(

Are you referring to the book " Devils on the Deep Blue Sea"? Good book.

Here is something that I posted on a couple of other boards. This gives a comparison to the QM2 and the new RCI ship. I remember when the first 100,00 ton ship was annouced which was the Conquest. People stated that it was more than they wanted to cruise. Would never work and on and on. Now that size is becoming known as a middle size ship. This will come to pass too.

To give one an idea of this ship and her size, she is not that much different than the QM2 in size.

Genesis height = 240 feet - QM2 height = 237 feet - Genesis is 3 feet taller.

Genesis length = 1180 feet QM2 length = 1132 feet - Genesis is 48 feet longer.

Genesis width = 154 feet QM2 width = 135 feet - Genesis is 22 feet wider.

The obvious difference will be the number of passengers that the GOTS carries. One also has to wonder what the draft will be on a ship this size. If it is similar to the QM2, then she will not be able to dock in most ports as they are not deep enough. Since she is not considered a ocean liner then she may not have a draft as deep as the QM2.

Archived