Port Everglades to MIA

snoopsbc

Hi all,

My AA flight was originally scheduled for a 1:35pm departure from MIA however it has been cancelled and I have been moved to an 11:30am departure instead.

As I am not familiar with this port, will I have enough time to travel from Port Everglades to MIA to make an 11:30am flight? or would you recommend I call the airline and request to be moved to a later flight?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the boards! 😎

The ride from PE to MIA airport, depending upon traffic and day of the week, takes about 45+ minutes.  Is the 11:30 flight an international departure, or a domestic flight to somewhere in the US?  Assuming domoestic, then for an 11:30 flight you will need to be at MIA by about 10:00, and 9:30 or earlier is better with the general TSA security chaos.  That translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:30.  Then grab a taxi (about $75+ on the meter) or an Uber or Lyft (about $35-40) for the trip to MIA.

If you carry your bags off, and  if it is a domestic flight, and if there are no delays with customs/immigration, then you can make a domestic flight at 11:30 - but that's a lot of "ifs" to worry about.  If it is an internaitonal flight, with an earlier check in time requirement, I don't think you can make it.

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight? 🤔  I would call AA and ask for a later flight, or extend my vacation and spend a day in Miami and catch the morning flight the next day.  It is your call!

One of these days I will make it to Sydney.  Have a great cruise! 😀

12 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Welcome to the boards! 😎

The ride from PE to MIA airport, depending upon traffic and day of the week, takes about 45+ minutes.  Is the 11:30 flight an international departure, or a domestic flight to somewhere in the US?  Assuming domoestic, then for an 11:30 flight you will need to be at MIA by about 10:00, and 9:30 or earlier is better with the general TSA security chaos.  That translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:30.  Then grab a taxi (about $75+ on the meter) or an Uber or Lyft (about $35-40) for the trip to MIA.

If you carry your bags off, and  if it is a domestic flight, and if there are no delays with customs/immigration, then you can make a domestic flight at 11:30 - but that's a lot of "ifs" to worry about.  If it is an internaitonal flight, with an earlier check in time requirement, I don't think you can make it.

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight? 🤔  I would call AA and ask for a later flight, or extend my vacation and spend a day in Miami and catch the morning flight the next day.  It is your call!

One of these days I will make it to Sydney.  Have a great cruise! 😀

Thanks John. You’re right, I don’t want it to be on my mind during the cruise and I know it will niggle at me. We are flying to DFW and connecting to a flight to Sydney the following day. To be safe I’ll move to a flight later in the afternoon. Thanks for your advice. 
ps I totally recommend a cruise from NZ to Sydney.