Hotel choices Malta

KILLERFEET

23 hours ago, KILLERFEET said:

Any reviews and pearls appreciated? Date of travel October 2020

We have not stayed overnight in Malta, but visited there while on a Seabourn cruise a couple of years ago.  While there, I was so taken with  Mdina (not far from Valetta) that I would love to stay there in a hotel.  Please google and read about Mdina to understand what it is and how special it is (the original capital of Malta).  I found this website which lists what it calls the best hotels in Malta.  I note that at least one of them is in Mdina.  Personally, that would be our choice.  You will need to take a car to the port, but it is not a long drive.  I'm sure your hotel can arrange that. 

Here is the site that talks about the various hotels:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/malta/hotels/

I can recommend The Phoenicia, it’s a Leading Hotels of the World member and is very well situated at the gates of the entrance to Valletta  Lots of good restaurants all within easy walking distance but the Palm Court Restaurant within the Hotel is superb.There are fabulous views of the Grand Harbour from some of their rooms and suites. 
It’s one of our favourite hotels, we visit every year -in fact we will be there in three weeks time!

Edited by Cornet

We’re leaving from  Valletta on 5/2 on the Ovation. We’re booked at the Xara Palace,  a boutique  hotel within the walls of Medina. It’s a Relais & Chateaux property.  WeWeWe like the small size,We like it’s smallPalace and the Corinthia Palace are the two that appeal to me.  

Both are walking distance to some interesting historic sites.  The Xara Palace is very small;  the Corinthia Palace is larger (297 rooms and suites).  

• Like 1

I would second the Xara Palace.

A stunning property with unique charm.

A friend of mine stays there at least a week every year to "read and paint" and last year we visited her at the hotel and got to see her room. Absolutely gorgeous.

We had a phenomenal dinner at one of the hotel's restaurants and we are hoping to find the time to spend a few nights there one day.

If you want something out of the cookie-cutter variety of hotels and dont need a beach, please consider this gem!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, buchhalm said:

I would second the Xara Palace.

A stunning property with unique charm.

A friend of mine stays there at least a week every year to "read and paint" and last year we visited her at the hotel and got to see her room. Absolutely gorgeous.

We had a phenomenal dinner at one of the hotel's restaurants and we are hoping to find the time to spend a few nights there one day.

If you want something out of the cookie-cutter variety of hotels and dont need a beach, please consider this gem!

And this hotel is in the ancient city of Mdina.  That is where we would stay for sure!  We visited Mdina but did not have nearly enough time there.  We WILL return--and hopefully stay in this hotel.  I can just imagine walking these streets at night.  It's a fascinating place.  

Edited by SLSD