To tan or not to tan...

PammyJeanB

Do most cruisers, especially those traveling to warmer climates, start tanning prior to their cruise?

I have a friend who does this and she says it because she won't burn when she gets to wherever she's going and you look and feel better w/ a tan. - especially in a bathing suit!

So, I'm undecided. I'm normally not a tanner, but I'd hate to don a bathing suit looking like I do now....casper!:(

Do most cruisers, especially those traveling to warmer climates, start tanning prior to their cruise?

I have a friend who does this and she says it because she won't burn when she gets to wherever she's going and you look and feel better w/ a tan. - especially in a bathing suit!

So, I'm undecided. I'm normally not a tanner, but I'd hate to don a bathing suit looking like I do now....casper!:(

I think you'll see a little bit of everything.

While no one likes to admit using the tanning be, you'll find many do.

My SIL brought her family to the beach with us one summer. I offered her suntan lotion which she told that she did not need as she was tan - she would not burn. The next day she told me that she was in alot of pain from her sunburn.

I think a tan helps that you don't burn as easily as pale skin but it won't protect you from burning.

I'm pale white and didn't tan beforehand. Everybody knows me as pale so I would think it would be weird to see myself in pictures with an allover tan! I did get a sunburn in Cozumel (forgot to wear the sunscreen!) but just on my back and it wasn't bad, especially after I put on a t-shirt.

I have to otherwise I will burn to a crisp. I know it looks funny to see myself with a tan, but it's all worth it to not have to worry about constantly reapplying sunblock.

I would apply in the morning and then not have to worry about it again all day while port (the good stuff, spf 45).

I starting tanning the beginning of this month.. cruising shortly.. I am white as a ghost as well and hate the sun.. :eek:

The only reason I am getting myself a base is to prevent sunburn.. (I do burn bad) On a vacation to Jamaica I didn't have a tan still using sunblock 45 and burnt my lower legs so bad I was in bed the whole day:mad:

I will still use SPF 45 even with a base.. it will prevent me from losing a day of my vacation in bed due to the sun.. (and I was not lying in the sun I was swimming all day and got that burn... reapplying sunscreen everytime I came out of the water.. yes it was waterproof)

Tanning slowly helps.. you do not go to the tanning beds and expect a tan immediately.. this is my 3rd week and I am just starting to get some colour.. moderation is the key.. JMHO:)

I tan before going on a cruise and I use a tanning bed to do so. :eek: I get a base tan so I don't get sunburned. Nothing worse than a super sore burning red body on vacation. I still use a sunscreen even though my skin is tanned.

Me, too. I do not like being pale and a few sessions in a twelve minute bed do the trick for me.

I know it is not the best thing for my skin, but I just feel so much better with good color. And I will not wear a skirt or shorts if my legs are white.

I tan before summer and also before a cruise. Not so much so I won't burn (takes me forever just to get a tan!) but I just feel I look better with a little color. It seems to hide some of my imperfections! Also, I enjoy tanning...it is more than the physical aspect of it, I get a little psychological boost, too. It is very relaxing to me. And I get my best power naps in the tanning bed!

Besides, I gave up cigarettes, rarely drink, have never done drugs and don't drink coffee. How perfect do I have to be?! :o

I am a definite tanner before our cruises. It does look better in swimsuits and clothes on your cruise. And you feel better. :) Atleast I do. It does help to prevent from burning to have a base tan. Have fun!

I agree with everyone that tanning before a vacation in the sun is a good idea. Some people always seem underestimate the power of the tropical sun!

While I know most ppl abhor the practice of artifical (and real) tanning, it really does wonders to make me feel better. And I like to think of it as a great way to get in the mood a few weeks ahead of time! :cool:

I have tanned and not. I just like the look of it but it's bad on the skin. However, I only do it once in a while so I am willing to take the risk. I cannot live my life without some small risks.

EXACTLY!! We all have to be a 'little bad' once in a while and I figure tanning is not as bad as other things I could be doing to my body!

OK...think I'll go tan tonight. I'm not going on a cruise and the weather is very dreary right now in Iowa. Maybe it will perk me up!:rolleyes:

I don't- but then my poor sisterinlaw who is only 45 recently had a melanoma taken off-and she has always used sun block. (better then sun screen)

I did sunbathe when I was younger-that is why I have bad sun damage on my chest and THAT is why I quit sunbathing-my skin was looking "old". I have not sunbathed since I was around 30-35. Now tha t this has happened to my poor sister-inlaw though I am glad I got too "vain" to sunbathe. Now I will use a little of something like Olay Quench- but that is it.

I have thought of doing that mystic tan stuff-the only thing that has stopped me that is seems even with the faux tanstuff-an older woman just looks older if she gets too dark. I guess I am just too vain.

I don't- but then my poor sisterinlaw who is only 45 recently had a melanoma taken off-and she has always used sun block. (better then sun screen)

:( So sorry to hear about your sister in law...I hope she comes through it just fine. So many things to worry about....

I tan before crusing. All spring and summer at home I just do the self-tanner. I usually start tanning in the tanning bed about a month before a cruise. I feel that it gives me a good base and will help prevent burning.

I know that neither the "real" sun or tanning beds are good for me, but I think not burning to a crisp the first day of my cruise (no matter what you wear or how much sunscreen you use) is worth it.

I always buy a 1 month tanning membership a month before a cruise-I am cruising on March 17, just started tanning Saturday-I just can't put on a suit with a white ghostly glow-you really look 5-10 pounds lighter with a tan!! Plus, I always know my trip is close once I start tanning-it's like a ritual.

I will need to tan again in May, as I cruise again in June.

Have fun.

I am like your friend and I don't like to admit it, but it has been my experience the past several years that If I pre-tan, I am a much happier vacationer. I start out slowly and work my way a little at a time.

I've decided to do the tanning bed for a month prior to the cruise. I've used them twice and loved the look it gave me, and I know it does help to hide the "unslightlies."

Both times using the tanning bed, though, I covered my face with a couple of washcloths to prevent my face from tanning. I'd use a self-tanner for my face. Like the look of a natural tan, but I really like being 40 and still not a wrinkle in sight! :p

Tan fat always looks prettier than milky white fat. And it does make you look thinner, and gives you a healthy glow. I still use a 45 often while Im on vacation. My tan is strictly for my own vanity ;]

LOL! That's my line! I always tan a month before vacation.

:( So sorry to hear about your sister in law...I hope she comes through it just fine. So many things to worry about....

She and her hubby are selling their boat and their lake side cabin-they will be doing other things for recreation now.

She has to be checked every 4 months but it was caught in time. It looked like she had a bruise on her-not like a mole at all-she went to the Dr. because this "bruise" was not going away. Hubby and their other sister has to go once a year also as this is considered genetic.

Archived