Does everyone need Voom to text on oasis?

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times. We’ve done many cruises on carnival but we’re sailing for the 1st time on Oasis in April and wondering about texting each other while on board.

On carnival we usually get 2 internet connections for 4 of us to share. They also have a chat feature on their app which allows us all to text each other whether or not that device is connected to the internet at that time.

But sounds like the chat feature is only available on a couple RC ships, and not on oasis. So do all 4 of us need a voom connection in order to text back and forth? We were again going to get just 2 Internet connections, but I’d like to be able to stay in touch with my teens. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, Builder31 said:

. They also have a chat feature on their app which allows us all to text each other whether or not that device is connected to the internet at that time.

That is not yet available on Oasis. 

You can login/logout as needed, as long as there are no more than the number of devices you purchased codes for connected. Obviously once you logout there's no internet anymore on that device.

Yep I know. So just clarifying that we all need a separate internet connection in order to text each other. Is that right?

15 minutes ago, Builder31 said:

Yep I know. So just clarifying that we all need a separate internet connection in order to text each other. Is that right?

Yes you all need your own internet connection.. So you basically will need a 4 device package if you want 4 people to be able to text. 

3 hours ago, Builder31 said:

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times. We’ve done many cruises on carnival but we’re sailing for the 1st time on Oasis in April and wondering about texting each other while on board.

On carnival we usually get 2 internet connections for 4 of us to share. They also have a chat feature on their app which allows us all to text each other whether or not that device is connected to the internet at that time.

But sounds like the chat feature is only available on a couple RC ships, and not on oasis. So do all 4 of us need a voom connection in order to text back and forth? We were again going to get just 2 Internet connections, but I’d like to be able to stay in touch with my teens. Thanks.

You can use the chat feature on Royal's app, so if you only want to purchase just one or two users with full access- meaning access the WWW, you can.  

3 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Oasis is included on the App.  So, you can use the chat feature.

22 ships have the app but as far as I am aware only 2 of them have the chat/text feature enabled - Allure and Harmony. 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:59 PM, Plum Happy said:

Oasis is included on the App.  So, you can use the chat feature.

Hi everyone,

Builder31, this (above) is not accurate unless you purchase the VOOM for each device you want to text with. I just got back from my first cruise 4 days ago and although we thought we had done our research, and my mother-in-law and I both had read that you could use the app w/out internet to message each other, texting was NOT available through the app on Oasis OTS unless you bought the VOOM package. We confirmed this twice at Guest Services (the 2nd time b/c a fellow passenger misinformed my MIL while we were cruising, and made us think we were doing something wrong). It was very disappointing and very difficult to wrangle 6 people spanning 3 generations on such a large ship.  I wish I had discovered this whole Cruise Critic forum more than just a couple of days prior to flying to Miami!  This would have been a good heads-up.  You're doing the right thing.