Driving with Shaka App OR GyPSy App?

TwinMamainMN

Have seen recommendations to use these for self driving tours. I'm thinking they are probably more alike than different, but if you have used both, I'd love to know which you prefer and why. We will have a rental car in Oahu for 2 days, and again in Hilo to see Volcanoes NP. We don't need versions for other islands.

Be aware that the Shaka app only works when driving the north shore counterclockwise from Waikiki. 

I chose Shaka because I liked that it shows you the route and stops of each tour in their website. I found that helpful for planning purposes. I think that people tend to like whichever one they choose.

10 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

Be aware that the Shaka app only works when driving the north shore counterclockwise from Waikiki. 

I chose Shaka because I liked that it shows you the route and stops of each tour in their website. I found that helpful for planning purposes. I think that people tend to like whichever one they choose.

Thanks! I think that's the one I'm leaning towards as we can preselect where to stop based on our interests. Counterclockwise from Waikiki makes sense now that I think about it. It will put us on the side of the road nearest the ocean that way, instead of looking across a lane of traffic.

15 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Thanks! I think that's the one I'm leaning towards as we can preselect where to stop based on our interests. Counterclockwise from Waikiki makes sense now that I think about it. It will put us on the side of the road nearest the ocean that way, instead of looking across a lane of traffic.

Yes, it was the way I wanted to go anyway so it was fine but I was glad someone had mentioned it beforehand. We had seniors with us so knowing where we could stop for restrooms, lunch, etc. was helpful. I also wanted to make the driving as easy on my husband as possible so I had the whole route and itinerary printed out, info about parking, etc. 

• Like 1