A GLORY-ous Cruise - REVIEW 1/28 Western Sailing

LizaMM

It was actually pretty funny because when we were all ready we looked at each other and realized that we matched! Art was wearing a jacket and tie and my dress was the exact color of his shirt – absolutely no planning on our part as we had not seen our clothes in advance and do not live together.
Are jacket and tie required in the Emerald room?

WEDNESDAY 2/1/06 COSTA MAYA

Wednesday morning we arrived in Costa Maya. Art woke up bright and early and he went to the gym to work out while I slept. I had every intention of going to the gym on this cruise but I guess I got my work out dancing every night :D Also – we walked and took the stairs all the time in lieu of elevators with the exception of the nights I was in my gown. So….when Arthur came back from the gym he ordered coffee and I began to rouse. We took our coffee out on the balcony and chatted. I was not feeling particularly hungry nor was I moving to quickly! Art went and got something to eat on Lido Deck and I got myself up and moving.

We decided it was time to head into Costa Maya. We did not book any excursions and had planned on going to Mahahual and finding a place to hang on the beach for the day. We also thought that we’d head back to the port area in the early afternoon and spend some time in the pool and swim up bar etc.

Down to Deck 0 we went and we strolled up the long pier. I took a lot of photos of the ships! This is a very long pier and they do have trolleys to take you back and forth if you don’t want to walk it.

We went straight through the Costa Maya pier area and over to get a ticket for the bus to Mahahual. $3 per person one way and then you catch a yellow cab back on the return trip for $2 per person. We were on line for the tickets for about 5 minutes and then for the actual bus for about another 5. We wound up riding in a high open air jeep type vehicle that was painted with zebra stripes.

We got off the “transport” at the taxi stand area and started to walk when we heard some people calling us over and lo and behold it was our friends from security check in! We had seen them at least one time every day so far. We stopped over at the table they were sitting at and chatted for a bit but we wanted to walk further down the road so we did not stay with them.

We walked all the way down to the end of the sandy road. The last restaurant/bar on the beach is Pez Quadro and we decided to get a spot here. We actually ate and were serviced by La Posada De Los 40 Canones right next to Pez Quadro. They had a hotel across the street which had a bathroom that we used throughout the day. The service was good as was the food.

During our walk there were venders with tables and tents set up along the sand road (no cars here) and they did call out to us or approach us and ask us to take a look at their goods. The local people were incredibly friendly and nice and they asked us nicely. They were soft spoken as venders go, certainly not loud and pushy and we found them to be funny – making jokes and making up names for us (i.e. Mr. Whiskers for Art). When we smiled and said no thanks or not now that was that.

So we found our spot, set our stuff up on our loungechairs and got margaritas. It was a gorgeous day! The sun was shining but it was not ridiculously hot and there was a slight gentle breeze. We chatted with the people around us who happened to mostly be from the RCCL ship (Explorer of the Seas) which was in port. Drank our margaritas, read our books, I took photos and then drifted off into one of those incredibly satisfying naps!! After I got up I was hungry. We took a look at the menu and ordered an assortment platter. I went in for a quick dip in the water before the food arrived.

We ate and drank and then relaxed some more, chatting and reading. Went for another swim. We stayed here longer than we originally thought that we would and it was time to head back to the taxi stand area. We shared a cab with a couple that we recognized from the Glory.

We had some time to walk around Costa Maya. We stopped for some souvenirs and then sat down and watched the dancing show for a while , smoked a Cuban cigar and drank some tequila. Walked back down the pier to the ship. Short line to get on the ship as we timed it to be back before the crunch time.

Up to the cabin….Sat out on the balcony and got ready to watch Sail Away. I had my binoculars and camera ready to go as usual and I was chatting with fellow Pax as we all leaned over the balcony watching Sail Away. All of a sudden after we pull away from the pier we can see 3 people running down the pier waving their arms frantically in the air. From my balcony I could see down into the window of the bridge that juts out (could see really interesting stuff with my binoculars!) and there was an officer standing and looking to the pier with binoculars. A few moments later the ship took a slight turn and began to slow to almost a stop. We watched as the pilot boat headed back to the pier. Having read about stuff like this happening at Cruise Critic I knew what was going on and told the “balcony hangers” that the Pilot Boat was getting the Pax that missed the ship. They debated on if this would really happen or not for a bit. By now the Pilot Boat was coming back toward the Glory and with my binoculars I could see the people who had been running now on the Pilot Boat. A quick look over to the bridge and I had to laugh because now that window was filled with several officers watching with binoculars (I took a photo of that!). Sure enough the Pilot Boat pulled up alongside us and after a few minutes and several attempts were able to successfully get the Pax safely off the Pilot Boat and onto the Glory as the onlookers cheered. It was quite a show! Us “balcony Hangers” then began to speculate how much that would cost!

We were moving out to sea. Arthur laid down for a nap and I went out on deck to take pictures of the sunset and then sit in the hot tub for a while. When I came back to the cabin we ordered coffee and tea from room service which we drank on the balcony and then showered and dressed for dinner.

We had another lovely dinner with Deborah and David. Last ones out of the dining room! We walked up to our cabins together. I changed out of my dinner clothes and Art and I had a drink out on the balcony before going to the big party on the Lido Deck.

The music was going and the deck was hopping by the time we got out there. We put our drinks down on a table and joined the fun right away! We really had a great time and were seen quite a bit in the TravelLogue Video…lol… We danced and cheered. There was a huge conga line, more dancing and fun! Barry was out there and I danced with him for a bit as well. When the deck party started to wind down we sat at he bar for awhile and chatted with new friends. There was a big Mexican Buffet going on but we never stopped in for that. A bunch of us headed down to White Heat Disco which was pretty dead. We danced for a little bit and then it was last song. We all decided that we were hungry and made our way to the Pizzeria. We all sat eating, drinking, laughing and talking. We started to head back to our cabin and we ran into Steve who is one of the DJ’s in the disco and for the deck party that night. Someone (??) produced a CD player and a small group of us made our own party and danced some more out there on the Lido Deck! We finally gave out and went to the cabin, bungee cord on the balcony door and off to sleep!!

THURSDAY 2/2/06 A FUN DAY AT SEA

Woke up Thursday morning once again to the lovely sounds of the sea. Ordered our coffee and sat on the balcony sipping it with our Capers and highlighter pen casually planning our day. Art was hungry and I had no desire to eat but really felt like I needed some fresh air and exercise. We had decided we would go to Trivia Fun in the Ivory Lounge at 10:00AM so Art went off for some breakfast on the Lido Deck and email in the internet café and I went up to the jogging track for a serious stroll.

We met in the Ivory Lounge – I stopped at Creams for a double cappuccino on the way. We had fun playing trivia and Art was tied for 1st place in the end. The first break tie question was answered correctly by both but “the other guy” got the next one so Arthur came in 2nd place. We stayed to play Scattegories but there were just to many people and it was not our cup of tea so we left.

We went to the shops because I was in serious need of pantyhose but they were out of stock! Thank goodness the run was able to be put at the bottom of my foot because my dressy shoes for my formal that night could not be worn barefoot! Then we went and looked for our photos. This was frustrating. There must be a better way! We never found several and I was discouraged because I always get the photos they take when you get off the ship in port. We did purchase 3 that were good.

We went back to the cabin and got ourselves together then decided to go look for lounge chairs on deck. I was getting ready for my nap! We found 2 great empty spots on the upper deck again but this time Starboard side also with a great view of the games. We set ourselves up and ordered a drink of the day. I was hungry now so I wandered over to the deli and brought a Reuben back to my chair. Ate and drank and people watched and chatted with Art. Then I got into conversation with a couple next to me. We talked for a long time and wound up exchanging email addresses.

The Survivor At Sea Contest started and I enjoyed another Drink of the Day and watched. Arthur went and filled a plate at the buffet for lunch.

We watched and cheered and “assisted” as we could during the Contest. Read and talked. We were planning on going to the Newlywed Not So Newlywed Game but decided to go back to the cabin and hang out and take a nap instead.

We woke up around 6:00PM and ordered coffee and tea and perched on the balcony. Then we got ready for the 2nd formal night dinner. We had the Past Guest Party at 7:15 in the Ebony Lounge. When we got there we turned in our invitations and received our pins then we went directly to the bar in the back and ordered martinis. We took our drinks to a table in the front and joined another couple. I really enjoy the Past Guest Party. This was Art’s first time and he enjoyed it as well. Mark Price did a good job. We had more drinks but passed on the appetizers.

When the Past Guest Party ended we took our remaining drinks and sat at the Burgundy Wine Bar talking until it was time to go to dinner.

Once again we brought a bottle of wine which we shared and had great conversation with David and Deborah. When we finally left the dining room we strolled through the Art room with them for a while looking and talking. We all walked up to our cabins as I had to get out of my formal gown!

We went back down and started dancing in the Promenade with Jeffrey and then as usual moved along to Cinn-A-Bar with Barry. We had intended to go to the R-Rated Midnight Comedy Show but when it came time to leave we were having too much fun and stayed put! Sang, danced, drank and played there until he closed and then once again over to the White Heat. Barry and Jeffrey joined us and after the last song we all went up to the Lido Deck and had pizza together. I actually skipped the pizza and Art got me an ice cream instead. That concluded it was time to sleep!

Liza...waiting for the picture link:)

Enjoy your snowy Sunday...one nice thing about the internet...can 'watch' WTNH and the I95 cams on the web and see whats happening back home.

We are going to have a few days of winter here. Watch the speed channel (Daytona race week and lots of racing this week) to see our weather:eek:

Enjoying your review:D

Liza...waiting for the picture link:)

Enjoy your snowy Sunday...one nice thing about the internet...can 'watch' WTNH and the I95 cams on the web and see whats happening back home.

We are going to have a few days of winter here. Watch the speed channel (Daytona race week and lots of racing this week) to see our weather:eek:

Enjoying your review:D

Ah yes...the snowfall has begun....supposed to get quite a bit and blizzard conditions over night....

Photos are coming very soon! I have downloaded a lot of them to my computer and am right now in the process of starting to upload to the web :)

Saw on the traffic cams it started a couple of hours ago. Looks windy already. DS lives on the beach and they said 10-12ft waves with flooding poosible. That makes me nervous. My poor Grandpup maybe treading water:eek:

Spent an hour or so tonight uploading 131 photos of our Nephews new house. He is in CT and building a home in the Orlando area. We were in CT for most of our constuction and know how it is not to be able to see the progress. So we go over and take pictures for them. Too bad it was a windy cold rainy day here. But still better than the snow.

Good day to stay home, make soup, and finish your review and pictures!;) :D

Liza, I enjoyed another installment with coffee this morning. So, you didn't tell us what your nickname was :confused: Sounds like you had a blast in the disco. I am more into older music, even older disco, than the new rap like music they play now. What kind of music did you hear in the disco? Is it mainly a young crowd?

Hey LizaMM - Do you happen to know anyone that did the Turneffe Atoll w/Beach Break tour in Belize?

We have it booked for our March trip and have yet to find a single review on it. I tried posting here and someone else posted asking about it on the ports of call board with no luck.

Thanks again for a great review.

Diane

Are there any more installments? How about photo's? :)

Ahhhh yes....I realize that the last installment needs to be done! I suppose I am dreading talking about the last day of the cruise as much as I dreaded the actual last day itself!!

Actually though...I cam home to sick kids, wound up sick myself and have been so busy that I have not been able to write it! I HAVE spent my computer time the past couple of days gettting ALL my photos from camera to computer and then uploaded to a website. I am just about done with that and hope to post the final installment (as well as a shorter, condedensed review) and my photo link sometime tonight or tomorrow. I printed some of the photos and gave them to BF in an album and a couple to be framed for Valentines Day....we went out for Mexican food last night and drank Margaritas to celebrate the holiday and commemorate our wonderful cruise!

Thanks for the start of a wonderful review. I am 38 also and this is my first cruise. I am traveling with my husband. No kids, leaving them at home with family. We have booked an inside state room in the middle of the ship on the riveria. Partly because of the price and because the agent with carnival recommened the middle of the ship due to my history of motion sickness, she says the middle is most stable. My question is: I am reading about the balcony's and am getting jealous, the sights and sounds of the ocean are calling me, if I could get an upgrade to the middle of the ship with a balcony, would it be worth the extra $ and how is the motion there?

Question #2: WE are also flying into MCO, but not until the day of the cruise. WE arrive at 1:30. How long did it take the shuttle to take you over to Port Caneveral? I have a feeling we will be arriving at the last minute before she sails! Any tips for last minute arrivals?

Question #3: I am sure you will post your excursions later, but was wondering what you did in Costa Maya, we have booked ours but now I am afraid we won't have time to do both and have wasted our money. We booked the mayan ruin tour which is said to be 3 1/2 hours, then the beach break, but how long will it take to return to the ship from pez quadro?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to the rest of your review!

:)

Virgincruiser06: I can ony respond to your 1st question and YES!If you can upgrade to a balcony,do it!! We have cruised 14 times in all types of cabins,inside,outside window,balcony,mini/jr.suite,etc....there is NO romance in an inside cabin-certainly when comparing it to an inside cabin with 4 walls,no light,no smell,and most important NO SEA!!...Some people say "ah,you don't really spend time in your cabin,just to dress,shower & sleep"..and yes,if you have an inside cabin,what other reason would you have to stay in your cabin? BUT,when you have a balcony,you can sit out there gazing at the beautiful mesmerizing sea,sip a drink,read,doze off,see the islands as you arrive in port,and mostly enjoy both sights & sounds of the sea....we will NEVER cruise again in an inside cabin,EVEN if the CRUISE IS FREE!!!...I know I would be miserable if I could not sit on my balcony and dream............once you've had a verandah,you'll never go back!

Big Al

FRIDAY – 2/3/06 A FUN DAY AT SEA….our last:rolleyes:

Woke up this particular morning for the last time to the sounds of the sea! Last day – very sad! We’d had a fabulous week thus far and this last day would be no exception. We spent a little time lounging in bed and talked about the day ahead. Hungry, we dressed and ventured out to Lido to have breakfast in the Red Sail. It was a bit chilly on deck when we stepped outside. We immediately saw Cruise Critic friend Claudette resting on a lounge chair with a towel as a blanket. Chatted with her for a bit about the fun we’d had together the previous night then she prepared for her nap and we went for food.

There were just a couple of people waiting at an omelet station. I waited there while Arthur filled plates with bacon, sausage, fruit and cheese and got our coffees. When we had all our food we went to find a table and saw 2 other friends from the piano bar and disco from the night before and joined them with our trays. We had a nice time eating and chatting.

When we finished breakfast we went to the internet café to check email and then I just HAD to have a double cappuccino from Creams. That taken care of we walked over to the shops and made souvenir purchases for our kids. I always buy pens from the ships (LOVE using them to write just about anything when I am back home) and I also buy coffee mugs from the ship and each port of call. I got each of my kids a mini-towel animal as they always love them on their cruises and thought it would be cute to surprise them with that on their beds. We also purchased some liquor which we were allowed to take with us.

We brought our purchases back up to the cabin and sat on the balcony for a little while talking and looking over the Capers. We decided to head out to the deck and find some lounge chairs. I was getting used to this new naptime! We wound up spotting 2 people who were leaving right on the bottom deck close to the stage area and we grabbed those chairs! Set ourselves up and got comfy. The sun was shining and whatever chill had been in the air earlier was gone!

We ordered our Drink of the Day and settled in. The music was playing and we rested and read our books.

After a little while Kat, the social host, came out and was announcing the Ship Building contest info and calling them to come forward and prepare to be judged. After that she needed 4 people each from the White team, Red Team and Blue Team who would not mind getting wet. Art decided to go ahead and volunteer for the White Team and walked over. I realized that he left his t-shirt sitting on the chair and he had gotten a sunburn on his back so I brought it over to him to put on and protect the burn. Kat asked me what team I was on. I said the White Team and she said “great – welcome to the game”. We then found out that we were now entered in the Synchronized Swim Contest. The rules were explained and we were sent off to prepare. The Ship Building Contest went on and then we were ready to rock and roll and swim. Our team did a stellar job but unfortunately, although very close, we came in second SOOOOO no ship on a stick for me to add to my collection! :o Just a deck of cards…

When the Synch Swim contest was over we refilled our Drink of the Day and settled back to watch the In The Bag Challenge. This was a blast! I had intended to have the Chocolate Buffet for lunch but I was having to much fun and never made it. Art went and grabbed a sandwich from the Deli. During the In The Bag Challenge we cheered and gave stuff that we could to our team as they needed – including the queen of hearts from my new deck of cards. The woman sitting next to me wrapped herself in her towel and donated her bikini top to her team. We all had a lot of fun and laughs during this game!

Art went off to the Name That Face game inside and I settled in for a short nap. When Art came back he reported that once again he was one answer away from the win. We had another Drink of the Day….the sun was shining, the Calypso Band music started back up and I spent a while dancing on deck.

We decided to go back to the cabin and ordered coffee. We alternately packed and sat and sipped on the balcony. I like to get all the packing done and the bags out before we go to dinner so we can fully enjoy the events of the evening. Packing is such a drag! Ugh!!

I was ready for dinner and Arthur was still dressing when 8:30 arrived so I went down to the Golden Dining Room first so that we would not keep our Tablemates waiting. I was actually the first one of us who was there which was funny especially since David, Deborah and Art all arrived together about 5 minutes later. We had brought some wine which we shared and the 4 of us had a wonderful last dinner together!

After dinner we knew that we had to hit our favorite night spots so it was straight to the Promenade Deck and some dancing with Jeffrey and a drink. Then, of course, we walked over to Cinn-A-Bar and had an awesome time with Barry and all our Cruise Friends. The piano bar was really hopping!!

When Barry finished up for the night we went to the White Heat Disco. Barry and Jeff joined us in there and we all danced until the wee hours.

The disco closed and Art and I along with 2 other of our Cruise Friends went with Barry and Jeff and Steve (the DJ in the disco who we’d also become friendly with) went up to the Pizzeria where we sat and ate and talked and excahnged cards and email for quite a while. Finally we made our way to our cabin and slept for at least a little while!!

SATURDAY 2/4/06

When we woke up Saturday morning we were safely docked in Port Canaveral and it was raining. We got dressed , put last nights clothes in our carry-ons and went to the Red Sail to have something to eat.

They started calling decks and ours was among the first call but we were not ready yet. We finished eating and then went back to the cabin to put the last of our stuff into the carry ons. We brought back coffee and we sat for a few minutes and finished our coffee and talked about our wonderful week. Then it was time to grab our bags and walk out of cabin 1042 for the last time!

We went down to Deck 3 and found a fairly short line. It was pouring out at this point. We made our way off the ship and through the terminal and customs and then to claim our luggage. It took us about 5 minutes until we spotted our bags on the carousel and had a porter help us get everything out to the bus.

We had an enjoyable ride to MCO. Marilyn – one of our friends from the piano bar – happened to be in the seat in front of us and we chatted the whole ride about our great cruise!

We reached the airport and had to wait an hour before Spirit would accept our bags due to our later flight time. We sat on the floor and took turns going to the bathroom. Arthur got us coffee. We checked our luggage and then went into the main terminal of the airport and decided to go to Chili’s and have a parting Margarita and lunch. After lunch we headed to our gate, Our flight back to LGA was pleasant and uneventful.

I had arranged childcare until Sunday afternoon so Arthur and I had dinner and stayed at his place. We fished the Carnival Souvenir Cups out of the bag and had a drink in them while looking through all the photos on my camera.

It was an absolutely wonderful cruise!! :D

LizaMM,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Now I can't wait for our cruise. Was your cabin on the port side of the ship ? Were you able to see the ports as you were docking ?:)

Yes....We were on the Panorama Deck, Portside. I really loved our location!

In Key West we were up on deck when the ship docked.

In Belize the ship tenders so there is no docking.

In Costa Maya we were already docked when I woke up but our view was of the land and not of the dock itself.

I should have my photos uploaded and a link to them very shortly and I took pictures of the view from our balcony every day :)

Yayyy!!! Oh Liza, I so enjoyed every installment of your review. Can't wait to see the pics since I already feel like I know you guys. Be sure to post a formal shot of you and Art. Does it seem like 2 weeks has gone by since your cruise? Mine seems like forever away but I know that before I know it I will be writing my review because it is OVER :( . Oh well, you know what that means don't you? Time to plan another cruise :D

I've already upgraded and I'm glad I did. I can't wait! Is the left side of the ship starboard? That is the side we are on.
Left side is Port.

Liza - We are on the Starboard. Do you think we'll we have views as well?

Thanks for the last installment and can't wait for the photo's.

Yayyy!!! Oh Liza, I so enjoyed every installment of your review. Can't wait to see the pics since I already feel like I know you guys. Be sure to post a formal shot of you and Art. Does it seem like 2 weeks has gone by since your cruise? Mine seems like forever away but I know that before I know it I will be writing my review because it is OVER :( . Oh well, you know what that means don't you? Time to plan another cruise :D

Glad that you enjoyed reading it! I enjoyed writing it and YES....I am going to have to start to look into the next cruise. I am thinking that I will probably plan a family cruise with the kids for the next one.

I will be putting the photo link up shortly. We did not take any formal pictures with the photographers and they never came to the dinner table. Or tablemates took a couple for us. We bought a couple that were taken by the photographers in port but my scanner is not working so those are not up yet.

I have a LOT of photos and many are of the scenery. I am sorting them by day so it's easier to look at.

Left side is Port.

Liza - We are on the Starboard. Do you think we'll we have views as well?

Thanks for the last installment and can't wait for the photo's.

You will have great views no matter where you are! If things go the same as far as direction that the captain docks the ship then in Key West the Starboard side was against the pier, in Belize you are tendered on the port side we had views of the other ships and the tenders coming back and forth but I am sure that you will have lovely sea views. In Costa Maya again the starboard side of the ship was against the pier which gave those folks the fun view of the RCCL ship right next to us and the people walking back and forth.

Either way I am sure that you will enjoy the view!

NicoletaReynaldosm.jpg

Nicoleta & Reynaldo :D

Beth -

No....this was not our team. They must have switched things around.

I LOVED looking at your photos! It always make me want to go back to St. Thomas when I see pics of that port! The view from the balcony there is just so awesome!!

Archived