NCL Encore Oceanview or Serenade of the Seas Balcony

mustcruise1217

I’m am looking to book a 1 week cruise June 2021. I have poured over all available options from NCl, Disney, Royal, HAL and Princess. 

I am left with NCl Encore which hits Glacier Bay or Royal that does not.

We are a family of 5 which drives up the cost. These are the two options that fit our budget and are round trip since I am u able to get more than 1 week off from work.

Between the two which would you pick?

It will be Dh and myself -late 30s, DD 16, DD 4 and DS6. We have only cruised Disney and Royal.

Serenade will be a balcony, Encore will be ocean view.  

I leaning towards Serenade for a balcony, longer ports time, we know Royal and it leaves from BC which seems more scenic than Seattle.

Although NCl goes to Glacier Bay the port times seems short and I have some concerns about a mega ship in Alaska. I would like to see Seattle though. And I’m sure the kids would love the ship.

I can’t say if this is a once in a life time trip. It will depend on how it goes. I’d like to say we will go back one day but who knows

Our first Alaskan journey was on NCL (Pearl) in 2009. IMO, it is essential to have a balcony and, with five of you, I would be tempted to go for a balcony and an inside, near each other. That way, the inside can be used for sleeping, showering, changing, etc., and the other for hanging out, sitting on the veranda and general gathering. The Free At Sea offers may save some money over buying sodas and other drinks throughout the cruise.

We also thought that was our once in a lifetime trip, but we went back last August (on Celebrity) and have another trip booked in May with Princess, although the latter is, sadly, potentially looking like it may get canceled.

Edited by Guindalf