GeoBlue Trekker Choice vs Essential ???

Bo1953

Hello all - decided that Chase Sapphire Preferred will cover the actual trip issues related to transportation and other such conveyances, I Am now thinking on

GeoBlue and wish some input as to Choice vs Essential to purchase.

We usually go on one (1) international trip annually, even though this year we will not.

My thoughts are that Choice is sufficient based on what I have, or thought I have, read on the forum on average costs on medical expenses and evacuation from foreign countries.

Am I correct in this thought and not desiring more '$' coverage  because it is just higher or something more I need to consider towards choosing Essential?

In health and bon voyage

7 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Hello all - decided that Chase Sapphire Preferred will cover the actual trip issues related to transportation and other such conveyances, I Am now thinking on

GeoBlue and wish some input as to Choice vs Essential to purchase.

We usually go on one (1) international trip annually, even though this year we will not.

My thoughts are that Choice is sufficient based on what I have, or thought I have, read on the forum on average costs on medical expenses and evacuation from foreign countries.

Am I correct in this thought and not desiring more '$' coverage  because it is just higher or something more I need to consider towards choosing Essential?

In health and bon voyage

It looks like you have done your homework.  Here is the comparison chart between the two plans.  I am sure you have seen it, but it might be helpful for others:  https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-compare-plans.cfm

My take is is Choice is the way to go, if you have no other medical insurance that covers you out of the country. If you have other insurance, then Essential may be fine, depending on the terms and conditions of your primary health plan.  I am not personally concerned about the differences in  Emergency Medical Transportation Coverage, because Essential provides enough. I am also not too concerned about the other differences.

For us, we chose Essential because our primary health insurance covers us out of the country. In most cases this coverage will be considered out of network.  We have a high out-of-network deductible, but there is an out-of-pocket maximum for out-of-network coverage that is below the $50K maximum coverage for the Choice plan.  So if we had a significant medical issue, we would submit first to our primary health insurance, then to GeoBlue as secondary.  GeoBlue should cover our deductibles from the primary plan, and when the out-of-pocket maximum is reached, the primary plan should cover everything.  Based on a conversation with our primary insurer and someone who sells GeoBlue, this should work.  Hopefully we will never have to find out.

Thank you @Jersey42 I neglected to state that both my spouse and I are on Medicare with supplements which has very minimal foreign travel coverage to say the least... and is typical of most of these policies.

While I do not consider my existing conditions to be overtly life threatening, my spouse IMO does for which I Am wanting to have coverage just in case.

As such, do not want to short change coverage just to save a few bucks, etc...

In health and bon voyage