SS/RCCL Finances: Improving, Options, Questions??!!

TLCOhio

From this financial news website connected below yesterday morning, they had this headline: Why Carnival, Booking Holdings, and Norwegian Cruise Line Are No-Brainer Buys Right Now with these highlights: “In many ways, the maritime cruise industry has fully recovered from the pandemic's impact.  Other facets of the leisure travel business are also showing comparable strength.   Although these stocks will likely remain volatile, the bigger-picture trend looks decidedly bullish.”

Right or wrong?

Here is more from their review: "Maritime cruise company Carnival Corp. continues to bounce back from the pandemic's impact.   That's the take from JPMorgan Chase analysts, anyway. The bank's research arm upgraded the stock to a rating of overweight earlier this week, citing an uninterrupted recovery in demand. Bank of America followed suit, upgrading Carnival shares to a buy. Both banks also upped their expectations of Carnival rivals Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean Cruises. The bullish calls hold water, too.   Smart investors, however, will take a step back from these bullish arguments and apply their underpinnings to the entire leisure and travel sector."

Full story at:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2023/06/14/carnival-booking-holdings-norwegian-cruise-buys/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 71,779 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Americans Are Shopping Through Uncertainty" with this sub-headline: "Worries about the outlook matter, but for U.S. consumers, the means to spend matters more.

Here are some of their reporting highlights:The Federal Reserve keeps raising rates, forecasters keep warning that a recession is around the corner, inflation is still a problem, and consumer surveys show people feel down in the dumps.   And yet, Americans manage to keep on spending.  The Commerce Department on Thursday reported that retail sales rose a seasonally adjusted 0.3% in May from April, defying economist estimates that called for a decline. The gains were broad-based, with sales up at department stores, sporting-goods stores and furniture stores, among others.  They are spending like people who aren’t terribly worried about their next paycheck.

Is this good news for the cruise lines and keeping ships full?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-are-shopping-through-uncertainty-3bcf84?mod=hp_lead_pos4

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 54,602 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

All three cruise line stocks hit 12-month highs yesterday/Friday.  Good news?  From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the performance of these three stocks during the past five trading days.

The upward inflation rate is slowing somewhat and interest rates hikes have been paused, briefly.  But, consumer spending is having some questions and slowing.  Where for the economic future? 

From July 14, 2022, when RCL was at only $31.28 a share, you could have more than tripled your money if you sold yesterday at a peak of $96.67 a share.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 54,237 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

From the Wall Street Journal, here are the past week's trading of the three major cruise line companies.  As indicated on each chart, these three stocks hit a 12-month high early in Friday's trading.  But, these stocks slid back a little later in the day.  Proof taking?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.png.16627616cf0ff211909b49bd79d76ae3.png

image.thumb.png.9dcaf954c22f859f9d5904c6b747827e.png

image.thumb.png.950c8d5d6889bbd02e7c3d40c903bb08.png

For the past twelve months, here is the chart that shows the steady, upward progress and trend for Royal Caribbean.  Did you have the courage to buy back their stock back in June 2022?:

image.thumb.png.c529a4622799f6114f3585da089389d0.png

On 6/18/2023 at 7:11 PM, highplanesdrifters said:

Well gee wiz this rally has been fun. Time for a pullback?  A tripple bagger on RCL, missed that one.

Why "Time for a pullback?"   Excellent follow-up question.  When does the market make a down-turn or adjustment??  Today and this week, Royal Caribbean continues to go higher and higher, setting a new 12-month high!!  When does RCL go over $100 a share?  It's getting close to the three-digit level. 

From the Wall Street Journal's sister publication of Barrons this morning, they had this headline: These Travel Stocks Remain Hot as Spending Cools. with these highlights: “U.S. consumers look like they are beginning to pull back on travel spending, the data show. But it could be an illusion and some stocks remain white hot.”

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/xerox-small-cap-stocks-rally-ff276935

Kotor/Montenegro:  Various visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 51,676 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

From the Wall Street Journal this afternoon, they had this headline: Fed’s Powell Says Interest-Rate Pause Is Expected to Be Temporary" with this sub-headline: "Central bank chairman delivers testimony to Congress on outlook for economy and banking system.

Here are their reporting highlights:Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said the central bank was likely to raise interest rates in the coming months but more slowly than previously.   Fed officials left rates unchanged last week after lifting them at 10 straight policy meetings to combat inflation. But investors, consumers and borrowers shouldn’t think they were done, Powell told the House Financial Services Committee on Wednesday.

If you are the CEO for a major cruise lines, how does this economic news affect your future pricing, debt management and planning expectations and hopes for 2024 and 2025?  How about for consumers and their confidence to keep spending?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/feds-powell-says-interest-rate-pause-is-expected-to-be-temporary-576d1f64?mod=economy_lead_story

Dubrovnik!  Visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 49,759 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• Like 1

I know the focus here has been on the recent upswing of the three cruise company stocks, and hitting 52-week highs, but what I'm interested in is a slightly longer look going back to the market highs about two years ago...

5/27/21     6/21/23      Change

NCLH       32.42       19.22       –40.7%

CCL        30.00       15.89       –47.0%

RCL        94.76       97.35        +2.7%

^DJI   34,464.64   33,951.52        –1.5%

^SPX    4,200.88    4,365.69        +3.9%

Why is is that RCL has recovered to where it was two years ago, the Dow and S&P have basically done the same, but Norwegian and Carnival are still down 41% and 47% over the same time? That's not a minor difference, that's a night-and-day difference. I wasn't a student of the cruise line stock prices over time, so what am I missing or not understanding?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I know the focus here has been on the recent upswing of the three cruise company stocks, and hitting 52-week highs, but what I'm interested in is a slightly longer look going back to the market highs about two years ago...

Why is is that RCL has recovered to where it was two years ago, the Dow and S&P have basically done the same, but Norwegian and Carnival are still down 41% and 47% over the same time? That's not a minor difference, that's a night-and-day difference. I wasn't a student of the cruise line stock prices over time, so what am I missing or not understanding?

Great Question.  RCL is also on a percentage basis down much less from its pre Covid highs.  Attached is a comparison of RCL vs CCL earnings performance vs estimates and future estimates.  RCL seems to have done a good job in these categories and its appears they are in good shape to return to profitability.  Very important stuff given the level of debt these companies have.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/rcl/earnings

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/ccl/earnings

Here is a somewhat dated overview of JP Morgan's take.  Maybe some of the reasons for outperformance are in here. 

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3962009-royal-caribbean-is-jpmorgans-top-cruise-line-stock

• Thanks 1

Anecdotal observation - we just returned from a NCHL Regent World Cruise and noticed areas where corporate cutbacks are visible and, obviously, affect the customer onboard experience.  Who knows exactly what is taking place internally with cost cutting to address the enormous debt overhang?

Specifically, understaffed restaurants which impacted service levels for passengers, reduction in the quality of major food items (e.g. mediocre meats and steaks), failing to replenish depleted food stocks at various intervals.  Are these just one time shortfalls or are they a retrenchment in operating costs as a result of servicing their enormous debt load?

More importantly, is our observation limited to one cruise company or are all major lines doing same? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wristband said:

Anecdotal observation - we just returned from a NCHL Regent World Cruise and noticed areas where corporate cutbacks are visible and, obviously, affect the customer onboard experience.  Who knows exactly what is taking place internally with cost cutting to address the enormous debt overhang?

Specifically, understaffed restaurants which impacted service levels for passengers, reduction in the quality of major food items (e.g. mediocre meats and steaks), failing to replenish depleted food stocks at various intervals.  Are these just one time shortfalls or are they a retrenchment in operating costs as a result of servicing their enormous debt load?

More importantly, is our observation limited to one cruise company or are all major lines doing same? 

Sorry to hear that.  Away from the money I would think  the worst part is such great anticipation ending in disappointment.  I may convince my wife to take Regent again but I'll never convince her to take the Mariner.  I see SS is using their new ships on some of the upcoming World Cruises.  Great idea.

HPD interim top or RSI reset?  I'm not sure but I'm pulling for the reset, need a turn around here soon I would think.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, wristband said:

Anecdotal observation - we just returned from a NCHL Regent World Cruise and noticed areas where corporate cutbacks are visible and, obviously, affect the customer onboard experience.  Who knows exactly what is taking place internally with cost cutting to address the enormous debt overhang?  Specifically, understaffed restaurants which impacted service levels for passengers, reduction in the quality of major food items (e.g. mediocre meats and steaks), failing to replenish depleted food stocks at various intervals.  Are these just one time shortfalls or are they a retrenchment in operating costs as a result of servicing their enormous debt load?   More importantly, is our observation limited to one cruise company or are all major lines doing same? 

Appreciate these great follow-ups from the savvy R&T and our expert Philadelphia neighbor.  Agree on point of "RCL seems to have done a good job in these categories and its appears they are in good shape to return to profitability."

Interesting to read the details and background that wristband has shared about Regent.  As I might have mentioned earlier, back in July 2010 on a Silver Cloud, the Executive Chef had shared the pressures from the "bean counters" in Monaco to keep costs under control.  That "money push" has always been there.  Now, for all of the cruise lines, those money pressure are even more of higher priority need.  Lots of debt to pay off.  BUT, with rising stock prices, maybe RCL can float some new shares to raise cash and pay down the high-interest rate borrowings. 

Be interested in other reports and details for recent experiences sailing with Silversea and/or any other cruise lines.  Is quality being diminished in a noticeable, significant manner?

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 33,551 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

53 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Why "Time for a pullback?"  

Just now, RetiredandTravel said:

HPD interim top or RSI reset? 

We had such a crazy run FOMO run up and it hit my short term target spot on, 4444.  Took some stuff off the table for a rebalance trade. Will out em back on between 4,200 & 4,300.  I'm already nervous about getting them back on.  I'm in the bull camp, 4748 is my next level.  It's been a LONG time since I've been in sync with the market and I expect the market will show me 'what's what' any minute now.🤣  That black swan, grey swan, I'm gonna get you swan is always right around the corner.

Thanks for the RSI numbers. Helpful as I dont follow it that closely.

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We had such a crazy run FOMO run up and it hit my short term target spot on, 4444.  Took some stuff off the table for a rebalance trade. Will out em back on between 4,200 & 4,300.  I'm already nervous about getting them back on.  I'm in the bull camp, 4748 is my next level.  It's been a LONG time since I've been in sync with the market and I expect the market will show me 'what's what' any minute now.🤣  That black swan, grey swan, I'm gonna get you swan is always right around the corner.

Thanks for the RSI numbers. Helpful as I dont follow it that closely.

Another great call on 4444, I'm starting to think you know what you are doing.  😃  RSI like all this stuff has shortcomings but when the 9 day gets ~90 or ~10 I pay attention.

Terry I noticed you were in Vancouver before a Muse cruise.  We are also picking up the Muse next year in Vancouver.   I'm thinking 3 nights two days in Vancouver should do the trick (making air reservation's soon).  We are pretty laid back with the touring stuff.  Couple hours in the AM then a nice lunch w/wine a little more touring in the afternoon.  Hotel Georgia seems well located and gets good reviews. also has AMEX benefits.  Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks.

14 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Really nice analysis. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Terry I noticed you were in Vancouver before a Muse cruise.  We are also picking up the Muse next year in Vancouver.   I'm thinking 3 nights two days in Vancouver should do the trick (making air reservation's soon).  We are pretty laid back with the touring stuff.  Couple hours in the AM then a nice lunch w/wine a little more touring in the afternoon.  Hotel Georgia seems well located and gets good reviews. also has AMEX benefits.  Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks.

Yes!  YES!!  Vancouver is super wonderful and aiming for three nights and two days there is reasonable and sound planning.  Much depends as to your personal interests and desires.  Maybe more time?  Maybe slightly less?  

As proof and evidence as to what we enjoyed, below are a few visuals to verify how totally amazing is this city.  Great food there!!  Lots of parks, nice shopping, wonderful waterfront options, inspiring architecture, enjoyable markets, etc.  The "Fly Over Canada" is a very good visual special experience to sample Canada's wonders.  

We were able to hook up with a couple of "locals" there who helped us tour to see and learn more about Vancouver, its history, their welcoming people, etc.  That Rosewood Hotel Georgia gets high marks and is right across the street from the Vancouver Art Gallery.  Many nearby dining options and potentials.  

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 19,374 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Granville Island has many interesting options for shopping, dining, entertainment, etc., plus great views for their amazing skyline and architecture.:

image.thumb.jpeg.84f72abe05cc740a4322b06492539cb8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cca3c7e6e58a0a6e43fbca06478f3411.jpeg

The architecture in Vancouver is unique, creative and inspiring.:

image.thumb.jpeg.f30de40b11514b199197c8b14d90c356.jpeg

The sail-away on the Silver Muse is fun and very enjoyable as you go under the large suspension bridge there.  Plus, seeing all of the "action" in this busy port.:

image.thumb.jpeg.66360ebfb6288577c06f97ac71a4bb7b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From this financial news website connected below this morning, they had this headline: Carnival Cruise Lines: Buy, Sell, or Hold? with these highlights: “Carnival reports its fiscal second-quarter results on Monday.  Analysts see revenue nearly doubling with its quarterly loss narrowing substantially.  Bookings have been improving, and momentum is bullish for Carnival and its peers.”

Here is more from their report: "It won't be long before Carnival shares are making waves again. The world's leading cruise line operator reports its fiscal second-quarter results on Monday morning. The stock will be on the move next week.   Carnival has been rallying lately. The shares have nearly doubled this year, up 96% in 2023."

Full story at:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2023/06/23/carnival-cruise-lines-buy-sell-or-hold/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 32,082 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Like 1

Up for Royal Caribbean and "flat" for Carnival and Norwegian would be my summary for the three major cruise lines during the past five trading days.  Right?

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the three major cruise companies.  

If Carnival is reporting on Monday their quarterly report, will that "juice up" these companies?

By contrast, the S&P 500 was downward during these past five trading days: 

image.thumb.png.35755a36c4f2631cb9c614359bfa9871.png

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,885 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the three major cruise companies during the past week.  Fairly "steady" for this past week?:

image.thumb.png.a2b052abe653ac7398aa0310ca723cbe.png

image.thumb.png.5a3aba97f8655d4ef45ffcd5fb83700b.png

image.thumb.png.fd246f30b86d065c488e72484a003b56.png

For the past three years, here has been the trend for Royal Caribbean.  By my checking, RCL is now at a high for this fast-changing 36-month period.:

image.thumb.png.acf523a43ef02bb4c19de9cf93c06775.png

• Like 1

Thank you for the information Terry, you're the best.  Vancouver looks like a beautiful city.  Our cruise is 10 days.  We have never been to Alaska or Vancouver.  Honestly we are more "urban" vacationers but we are looking forward to the trip and being on the Muse.

Yes RCL is on its 2021 highs.   The all time highs were in 12/19 - 1/20 around 133.  To put things in perspective the S&P 500 closed 2019 @ 3230, Barron's reports that RCL for fiscal year (Dec) 2019 reported 10.95 Billion in revenue, 8.95 EPS (diluted) and had 9.02 billion in LT Debt.  It would be nice to see 2020 RCL estimates before Covid but I don't have that information.

CCL I have no idea.

Possible S&P 500 support levels at 4300, ~4200 (50 day MA & Feb High) and 4083 (38.2% Fibonacci)?. 

https://www.barrons.com/market-data/stocks/rcl/financials

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

Thank you for the information Terry, you're the best.  Vancouver looks like a beautiful city.  Our cruise is 10 days.  We have never been to Alaska or Vancouver.  Honestly we are more "urban" vacationers but we are looking forward to the trip and being on the Muse.  Yes RCL is on its 2021 highs.   The all time highs were in 12/19 - 1/20 around 133.  To put things in perspective the S&P 500 closed 2019 @ 3230, Barron's reports that RCL for fiscal year (Dec) 2019 reported 10.95 Billion in revenue, 8.95 EPS (diluted) and had 9.02 billion in LT Debt.  It would be nice to see 2020 RCL estimates before Covid but I don't have that information.  CCL I have no idea.  Possible S&P 500 support levels at 4300, ~4200 (50 day MA & Feb High) and 4083 (38.2% Fibonacci)?. 

https://www.barrons.com/market-data/stocks/rcl/financials

Appreciate these kind comments and follow-up from smart and savvy R&T.  Yes, the markets are hard to predict and know.  Like what is happening right now on Wall Street!!   

In the late morning at 11:30 am, Royal Caribbean is sharply down 2.8% due to the "news" regarding Carnival.  Carnival is dramatically down 11.8%.  Wow!!  Are parts of the financial world going crazy?

image.thumb.png.4acf623b8c18fa49240a5ad4bd6b9f9c.png

From this financial news website this morning, they had this headline: Carnival Stock Sinks Despite Earnings Beat; When Does The Cruise Giant Expect To See A Profit? with these highlights:Cruise giant Carnival reported fiscal second-quarter results early Monday as industry and travel demand remains strong heading into the summer vacation season. But CCL stock sank in morning trades after results were release, despite a premarket surge in shares.  Carnival's adjusted loss improved to 31 cents per share compared with a loss of $1.65 per share last year. Revenue doubled to a second-quarter record $4.91 billion from $2.4 billion last year. Total customer deposits hit a record $7.2 billion as of the quarter's end on May 31. That surpassed the previous record of $6 billion from May 31, 2019.

This thread is now over 110,000 views.  Appreciate all who drop by, post, ask questions, etc.  Keep it coming.  Things are not really what to whatever might be called "normal", right?

Full story at:

https://www.investors.com/news/ccl-stock-sinks-despite-earnings-beat-when-does-the-cruise-giant-expect-to-see-a-profit/?src=A00619&refcode=aflMarketWatch&adobe_mc=MCMID%3D77626320452482689262797225847612851544|MCORGID%3DCB68E4BA55144CAA0A4C98A5%40AdobeOrg|TS%3D1687792640

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

From MSN News and another financial news website this morning, they had this headline: Carnival Stock Down Despite Accelerating Demand, Earnings Beat.

Here are some of their highlights to explain, maybe, more for the why:After the stock rose by nearly 65% during the past twelve months, investors are hoping for another double since the all-time low price of $6.11 per share during 2022 has seen their excitement damper following today's sell-off.   Other operators in the space, who are all essentially competing on the number of eyeballs their similar services can command, may help investors paint a clearer picture of where the broader markets see Carnival heading. Names like Royal Caribbean Cruises, who outperformed Carnival by as much as 90% during the past twelve months, and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, who performed almost in lock-step with Carnival during the year, may show important hints for investors to take home and make decisions accordingly.

Here is more of their analysis: "Carnival stock trades at a forward P/E ratio (next twelve months expected earnings) of 19.0x; this ratio does not say much about what markets are seeing or expecting. Comparing Carnival's close competitors like Royal Caribbean and Norwegian, which trade at lower ratios of 14.0x and 13.0x, respectively, the 'most popular' vote has set the stage for what investors can expect in the near future.   Some may argue that this dynamic only makes Carnival more 'expensive'; however, this can be seen as a broader market willingness to overpay for each dollar of the underlying business's current and future earnings."

The Wall Street Journal had this headline: "Carnival Stock Drops as Cruise Shares Retreat."   Here are some of the WSJ story details: "The cruise operator was the S&P 500’s worst performer, shedding about 11%.  'The faster-money investors are probably wondering how much better this name can get in the near-term,' Stifel analyst Steven Wieczynski wrote of Carnival in a Monday note."

Full stories at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/carnival-stock-down-despite-accelerating-demand-earnings-beat/ar-AA1d3Dq6

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/stock-market-today-dow-jones-06-26-2023/card/carnival-stock-drops-as-cruise-shares-retreat-YWCFaWP2XqyvNERrSUGW

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 1

Is it time to "Strike Up the Band" and start singing "Happy Days Are Here Again?"

From the Wall Street Journal mid-afternoon today, below is their chart for Royal Caribbean.  Over $100 a share!!  Wow?  image.thumb.png.4672be82b5098cb4112ac3a3579dc101.png

Or, too much too soon?

Carnival bounce back from yesterday's big losses, but they are only back to the fairly level stock value points level of last week.  What's next?

• Like 1

As of near 11 am today, all three cruise stocks, including Royal Caribbean, are continuing to rise up, UP, significantly.  Amazing trend.  Major high's for the most recent 12-month and three-year periods.  Still not sure totally as to why and how.  Your theories, speculation and smart guesses?   More later. 

See below from the Wall Street Journal, their three-year chart for Royal Caribbean.

image.thumb.png.d481ece7e0874555424643c765f2f3f1.png

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 256,629 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1362155-solstice-livefirst-timer-reportspix’s-italycroatian-june-7-19/

Need more as to the "Why?" for the cruise stocks rising so fast?  

From the Wall Street Journal's sister publication of Barron's this afternoon, they had this headline: Cruise Stocks Ride a Wave Up with these highlights:Cruise stocks were surging Wednesday, with Carnival the leading gainer in the S&P 500.  Carnival was soaring 9.5% to $17.41, and was on pace for its highest close since May 2022, according to Dow Jones Market Data. Royal Caribbean Group was climbing 3.2% to $104.69, and was on pace for its highest close since February 2020. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings was jumping 8.1% to $21.28, and was on pace for its highest close since April 2022.   Citi analyst James Hardiman increased his price target on Carnival to $20 from $18 on Wednesday and maintained his Buy rating on the stock. 'We believe that cruise industry is seeing continued positive momentum that started with the final elimination of COVID restrictions last fall and continued throughout Wave Season, with no real signs of abating,' Hardiman wrote in a research note.

Here is the chart used to illustrate this article from Barron's: 

image.thumb.png.460d572a065855fddf963cfa601f52c1.png

Reactions?  Insights?  Future predictions?

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/livecoverage/stock-market-today-062823/card/cruise-stocks-ride-a-wave-up-FHHiYxrnEbkDxroc9EcW

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,607 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 1

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Travel Stocks Charge Higher Ahead of Peak Season" with this sub-headline:  "Yet companies have focused on paying down debt instead of returning cash to shareholders.

Here are some of their reporting highlights:The U.S. travel industry has recovered from the impact of Covid-19. Its stock-price recovery is still a work in progress.  Americans are once again boarding flights in numbers similar to prepandemic levels. About 2.3 million passengers, on average, have passed through U.S. airports each day this year, according to data from the Transportation Security Administration. That is on par with the daily average in 2019.   Demand for domestic leisure travel soared after the worst of the pandemic as flexible work schedules became more common. Meanwhile, business travel and international demand have been slower to recover, said Michael Bellisario, senior hotels analyst at Baird.

This background was also cited: "Investors pay attention to travel trends because they provide insight into the willingness of both consumers and businesses to spend. Despite fears of a recession, which hit travel stocks last year, unemployment remains low and consumers are still spending on discretionary categories."

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/travel-stocks-charge-higher-ahead-of-peak-season-a5ddc2b0

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 244,107 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1