Any reports from Rotterdam Jan 11 cruise?

crazy4cruisn

Dear Crazy4Crusin,

Yes, we just returned last Tuesday, 2/7. We did pre-trips and post trips and were gone a month. I will post more as time permits. (It's hard to imagine all the mail, laundry, plus the grandchildren that we missed have to be visited!!!) All I can say, it was AWESOME. Even the captain said our cruise had the best weather in Antartica EVER. The cruise before was fogged in. It was more than I had imagined ever seeing. You have made a good choice and have lots of time to plan. Fire away any specific questions you may have. I will post our tours we used off the ship and they were awesome. Cost us about 1/2 the HAL's tours. I got the ideas from Cruise Critic and we were not disappointed.

Sounds like a great trip. You mentioned all of your port tours were excellent. I would like to find out who you used in Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, and Montevideo. Could you briefly mention what the tour was (penquin colony, city tour, etc.) and the cost. Thank you!

Genera - We were envious of you on the Rotterdam. We were on the Regal Princess and saw your ship going much closer to shore that we were. We had a captain that we weren't pleased with but that is another story!! He was replaced. Next time its going to be those Dutch captains for us.

Hello Genera,

I am so excited to hear about the cruise! I note that you celebrated your bithday on the cruise; I will too on the 26th of Jan in Buenos Aires! I am also a retired teacher. Please do write about the cruise and also what independent tours you used. I am writing to various ones now. Planning is is fun!

• 2 weeks later...

gerena - this is what made cruisncousin and the rest of us on the Regal so envious of the folks on the Rotterdam, our so called Captain was too chicken to get up close to the ice, he claimed that it was "too windy" as you said, it was one of the nicest days of the season in the Antarctic, not many days are as good as that one.

crazy4cruisn - this is what you have got to look forward to, have a wonderful trip.

hal.jpg.177dd8e754293486a71ec072994229d0.jpg

hal2.jpg.5f1d0be2f4b736a752d6524505b57105.jpg

• 5 months later...

I am very sorry for the delay in this, but family issues plus other things got in the way. The people we were traveling with were to do this, but left undone, I have just finished what my mind can remember. I will try to log on and give more replies to our awesome trip. Cruise Critic reviews were so helpful in our planning.

DIARY OF SOUTH AMERICA CRUISE

JERRY AND RENA HUMERICKHOUSE

KEN AND KITTY DECKER

JANUARY 7-FEBRUARY 7, 2006

Day 1---Saturday, January 7, 2006 INDIANAPOLIS, IN to SANTIAGO, CHILE

Jerry and I arrived at the Indianapolis airport around noon to meet Ken and Kitty arriving from West Lafayette. As soon as we arrived we were told that our American Airlines flight would be 3 hours late departing for Miami,. Apparently the flight from Miami hit headwinds in Kentucky and had to stop in Lexington to refuel. However we were told that our flight would arrive in time for the Miami departure. We told Ken and Kitty, they checked in, and we went to lunch in the airport. We were calm, and the flight left on time. However there was a mission group departing from Miami to the Dominican Republic and they had to return to next day as they would miss their flight. Our Miami flight left as scheduled and we were off on a long awaited trip.

Day 2---Sunday, January 8, 2006 SANTIAGO, CHILE

As we approached Santiago, Chile, the view of the Chilean Andes was beautiful as daylight was breaking. We arrived at the airport about 7:15 a.m. and had no trouble with the “reciprocity fee line” It was short and we paid on our way out. But I think this was because all the other passengers took off down the escalator and headed straight ahead to the immigration lines. Then when they got to the clerk, they had to go back and fee line and then return to immigration. So looking to the left as we went down the escalator saved a lot of time and we found the fee line first. My husband and I paid in cash with $100 dollar bills. However, our friends were denied use of one of their $100 bills as the numbers were not accepted by the authorities. So he paid in 20’s. They had posted serial numbers that were not acceptable, but no one would know ahead, so glad we had back-ups.

We then went to the baggage claim area. There were 4 of us and one of the bags got lost and was sent from Miami to the Dominican Republic. (Guess the tour group to there had had their baggage sent on and one of our group went with it!) It was a long while to get that settled---we were not the only ones. We took the bags we had and proceeded through the check out where someone grabbed our bags---soon to be realized he was a porter---wanting a tip. We are usually atop of this, but not this time. When we got to the arrival hall to meet our driver from the Hotel Orly, there were all kinds of “assistants” to help “change our plans.” After some “hoops” the driver arrived with our names on a paper. We arrived at our hotel, checked our bags and took off walking to the park where the cable cars were. It was a very pleasant walk through a residential neighborhood just outside our Hotel Orly. ($77US per night) We took the cable car and to the Cerro San Cristobal and the Virgin Mary statue. Fortunately, we had a fog free view. We returned by funicular to the city and walked by the river for several blocks and ate at Donde Agosto at the Mercado Central. Along the way we walked in the area of the lapis shops. We headed downtown via the pedestrian street and the Plaza de Armas, eventually taking the metro back to our hotel. We stopped for a soft drink and then took the city bus to the craft market, Los Dominicos Art and Craft Village. Returning to the hotel, we ate dinner at our hotel and retired for the night. The Hotel Orly was very nice and very easy to get to the metro, bus, etc.

Day 3---Monday, January 9, 2006 VINA DEL MAR AND VALPARAISO, CHILE

After a lovely buffet breakfast, used the free computer to send e-mail to family and friends and were met by our tour guide and driver taking us on a tour to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar where we would spend the next 2 nights. We contracted through Victor Alabi of Enturchile. The tour was OK and we saw the highlights He didn’t give us as much information as our tour guides we had later.

Our main concern: We knew our meals were not included. A word to the wise. They took us to a restaurant and there seemed to be a concern as to the reservation. The guide and driver moved us from a table for 4 to a table for 6. I motioned for the driver and guide to join us. We had a nice meal. We noticed the men kept eating, eating, drinking, etc. Then we got the bill. Since we had motioned for them to come join us, we were expected to pay. I can accept that to a point, but they just kept running up the bill. My husband and I ate for $18. The men’s total bill was $35. We got that settled and they took us to a few more sights in Vina and Valparaiso and then we located our Hotel Brighton---quite a challenge to get to the remote location. We bade farewell to our guide and driver, tipped them against our better judgment, but we were just caught off guard.

The Hotel Brighton (our room was $77 US ) It was a delightful, bright yellow old hotel perched high above the city atop Conception Hill, overlooking the bay. As we later found out, it wasn’t as remote as we once thought, but in what will soon become a “high rent district.” It had a million dollar view. We were met by Tatiana, a very delightful young lady. All the rooms were different. We had a large room that looked toward downtown. It was up a narrow circular flight of stairs which was a little of a challenge with our heavy luggage. The night lights were beautiful. We had our own bath, however my only complaint was that one could not sit in the bathtub and when showering, the water temperature fluctuated greatly. Our friends had a small main floor room that looked on the bay and had a small balcony. They had a regular sized bathtub, however. We sat on the outdoor terrace and enjoyed the view with a coke. It was beautiful. The missing luggage had not arrived, but Tatiana was diligent in calling for us.

Day 4—Tuesday, January 10, 2006 VALPARAISO, CHILE

We walked Valparaiso, taking in several of the ascensors, There are 15 of the original 29 still in use. They are listed as a UNESCØ World Heritage site. Busses are available on the water level, but unless one wanted to climb up and down hills or take taxis, this was the way to go, and very reasonable. We enjoyed a walking tour that was listed in International Travel News. It took us to many neat sights. We met a couple who had moved there from Germany and they gave us some pointers on where to walk and what to see. It was very hot, so we consumed lots of water. After touring downtown Valparaiso we then walked up to the city cemetery. We could see it from our hotel, but had to go down and then up. It was quite a hike and the locals encouraged us to take a bus to the top, but we did the walk.

The cemetery has two sections, one of which was Chile’s first non-Catholic cemetery where thousands of European immigrants are buried. Also there is the Catholic cemetery. The cemeteries, as we would also notice in other cities, are beautifully landscaped and are family plots, some very lavish in design.

That evening we ate at Café Turri, near our hotel, overlooking the bay. It was very good. We were pleased to return to the Hotel Brighton and find the missing luggage had arrived.

Day 5---Thursday, January 11, 2006 SANTIAGO---BOARDING THE ROTTERDAM

We got up early and walked the pathway to make sure our ship had come in!!!! We enjoyed a continental breakfast at our hotel, finished packing and called a taxi for a noon pickup. Two taxis came for the short trip to the pier. It was interesting---one driver charged 4 more dollars than the other one for the same trip!

We ate lunch on the ship and home for the next 3 weeks, Holland America Rotterdam. When our room was ready we settled in and readied for the life jacket drill and ‘sail away’. We had chosen late seating, but were disappointed to discover that we had a table for 4 instead of the requested 8, so we could meet more people.

Day 6---Friday, January 12, 2006 AT SEA

This was our first day at sea. I read the digital camera manual and other information to help me with the photography. The Chilean waters here were quite rough and there could have been a potential for seasickness, but we were fine. Several, I noticed, got pills from the front desk, however.

Day 7---Friday, January 13, 2006 PUERTO MONTT, CHILE

Today we arrived in Puerto Montt, Chile, the capital of the Lake District. We had contracted with GV Tours, who had been recommended through Cruise Critic. We had a very delightful tour visiting Frutiliar (a small German city), Puerto Varas, Lake “Todos los Santos.” Petrohue Falls, Volcanoes Osorno, Lake Llanquihue, etc. Osorno was awesome---not to be missed. We enjoyed Petrohue Falls with his rumbling rapids. We had a delightful lunch with entrée, appetizer, vegetable, dessert, and Chilean wine. It was a gorgeous day with blue skies. We wore a light windbreaker, but soon that came off. Our guides, Veronica and Gail, were very pleased that we had brought them good weather---it had rained for 3 weeks. We enjoyed the countryside with their clapboard houses and livestock, even stopping at a lama farm.

We had a group of 8 in our van. It was neat as we would see these people on our ship for the next 3 weeks. Veronica guided, while Gail drove. Our entire tour cost $50 pp. US, including lunch. There was a small $1.50 pp US fee to Petrohue Falls, but more than worth it. It was a special day. We left the van near the ship to use one of the internet cafes in the area, returning to the ship by foot.

Day 8—Saturday, January 14, 2006 AT SEA

Today we were at sea cruising the scenic Darwin Channel and Chilean Fjords. We had constant narration from the bridge of things to see and watch for. Our commentator was a scientist from the University of Minnesota. There were frequent trip outside to take in the sights from the exterior of the ship. The weather was beautiful and sun shining. It was a great way to spend my 60th birthday.

Day 9—Sunday, January 15, 2006 AT SEA

We continued our journey cruising the Darwin Channel. Our captain had a special skill in getting close to the glaciers. A “small world” occurred today. As we were riding the elevator, we asked the other riders where they were from---Indiana. Of course we perked up. Then we found out they were from the same town where our son and his family lives—about 1 ½ miles from each other on the same road. Our new acquaintance had gone to school with our daughter-in-law’s father. They asked us to send an e-mail to our son so that he could call their son and tell them all was well! What a small world!

Day 10---Monday, January 16, 2006 PUNTA ARENAS, CHILE

We were off the ship today in Punta Arenas, Chile. Paulina was our guide with Turismo Viento Sur. She was delightful college student and shared so much and answered our questions with enthusiasm. We had the van for the 4 of us, Paulina and the driver. Our first visit was to the Seno Otway Penguin Colony, a delight. We walked along the paths where the Magellan penguins were all around us. It was fun watching their antics on their nests and with their broods. After our morning with the penguins, we returned to the ship for our lunch.

Paulina and the driver met us after lunch and we took a city tour of Punta Arenas. We had prepared for lots of wind, but we had none. It was a beautiful day. We visited the Salesian Museum, the General Cemetery which contained mausoleums of immigrant families, and another beautiful museum, the Sara Braun Palace, wife of a businessman of the wool magnate family. After touring the cathedral, we walked the main square where the Magellan monument was located. A beautiful panoramic view of the city was enjoyed from the top of Cerro de la Cruz. Paulina and the driver returned the men to the ship. We women, used the internet café and looked around the shops and the town square merchant stalls.

Day 11---Tuesday, January 17, 2006 USHUAIA, ARGENTINA

We were not able to book an individual tour here because of the time of arrival and departure of the ship. We had been enjoying our reasonable private tours, but this time we opted for the HAL tour of the Tierra del Fuego National Park and Beagle Channel. We viewed Redonda Island from the Ensenada Bay. We enjoyed plants and a few animals from the bus. A catamaran ride took us to Lapataia and Ensenada Bays, all the way to the end of the world lighthouse. We saw lots of seals and sea lions on Sea Wolves Island. On Bird Island, there were hundreds of giant cormorants. We took lots of warm clothes since this was the farthest south city in the world, but found that we kept taking the layers off and we got over heated! It was quite nice, however and a most pleasant surprise. Other than being with a busload of people on the tour, my biggest disappointment was that I was not able to look for my wooden penguin I had hope to find. I looked in Punta Arenas, but no luck. When we got back to the ship, we had to board almost immediately. I am not a shopper and can go an entire vacation and not buy anything, but this one I had my heart set on!!! Oh, well!

Day 12---Wednesday, January 18, 2006 CRUISING CAPE HORN

It was a rather bleak day weather wise cruising the cape. However, the water conditions were very smooth. It was our first bad day. However, after seeing the cape, we headed toward Antarctica, so it really didn’t matter!

Day 13---Thursday, January 19, 2006 CRUISING ANTARCTICA

As we entered Antarctica, the weather was bleak as it had been around Cape Horn. It was even snowing and was very cold and windy. We saw our first iceberg at 8:20 am. However, about 10:00 a.m., the sun came out, the sky became blue and we had a most marvelous experience. I had always thought that Antarctica was flat. Wow, was I surprised. We thought Glacier Bay in Alaska was beautiful---it still is, but this was even more impressive. I didn’t even want to take time to eat for fear I would miss something. They would bring us hot soup in the inside viewing area which was very nice. Actually, AWESOME does not even describe the beauty. It was literally breathtaking. We saw penguins, seals, whales, etc.

Today we picked up several scientists from Palmer Station. They came to the ship aboard rubber rafts—glad I wasn’t on them—and embarked about 11:30 a.m. After lunch, they gave lectures on their work as part of the NASA studies. We headed toward the Lemaire Channel and came so close to going through it, but our onboard ice captain, said that it was too risky, so we had to turn back and take another route. About 6:00 p.m. our Palmer Station scientists boarded their rafts to return to their station. They enjoyed the ships cuisine and took back with them fresh fruits and vegetables, a welcome treat.

We enjoyed Neumayer and Schollaert channels and Dallman Bay in the evening. The days are very long so we could see much after dinner. We had been told that our itinerary could be changed several times, but today’s change, although a disappointment, brought to us other just as beautiful views. The captain was so excited as we were, because our weather was so cooperative. The passengers on the previous cruise saw so much fog, it was a real disappointment for them. We were most fortunate. Tonight about 10:00 we were treated to an awesome sight—a mile long iceberg, that the captain said had not been there on the previous cruise. It had broken off from somewhere and the captain took his time cruising around it so we could take pictures. As the sun set, the changing hues of the sky with the mountains as a backdrop, made a spectacular setting for this huge iceberg.

This evening our captain went out several miles into the Bellingshausen Sea and just cruised around so that we would not miss views during the night.

Day 14---Friday, January 20, 2006 CRUISING ANTARCTICA

We were up early to enjoy more splendor. We didn’t feel we totally alone this morning as we passed two ships, one being the Regal Princess. However, it appeared that our ship’s captain cruised much closer to the land. We enjoyed many Gentoo penguin rookeries, several channels and bays. We waved to the staff at the Videla Station (Chile) and the Almirante Brown station (Argentina). Around 9:00 that evening we cruised by Deception Island and another penguin rookery, this time, Chinstrap. We cruised overnight in Bransfield Strait. We had constant documentary from our on board geologist who had lived on Antarctica several times. We were also in good care with our Dutch captain and our British ice captain.

Day 15---Saturday, January 21, 2006 ANTARCTICA

Our final day in Antarctica saw only the second itinerary change for the trip. At 6:00 a.m., the captain cancelled the Antarctic Sound Cruise and proceeded to King George’s Island and other bays, including bases of Copacobana (USA), Arktowski (Poland) and Commandante Ferraz (Brazil). The views were no less magnificent even though we had to make an adjustment. It is not uncommon to have many changes---this was only our second. We just saw more beautiful scenery. We headed north around 10:00 p.m. with our minds still in wonder of all the wonderful views we had experienced in the past few days.

Day 16---Sunday, January 22, 2006 AT SEA

Today we were at sea. The evening shows resumed at night. We certainly didn’t need casinos and evening entertainment while in Antarctica. The mountains, wildlife, icebergs, scientists commentary, etc. was more than enough.

Day 17---Monday, January 23, 2006 STANLEY, FALKLAND ISLANDS

It was a bleak, rainy day when we arrived in Stanley but we felt fortunate because weather conditions often prevent landing here. In fact, a fairly recent cruise, a storm came up rapidly and passengers could not return on the tenders to the ship so they had to stay with the townsfolk overnight. We had taken umbrellas and started walking, making the most of it. We went to the Jetty Visitor Center and got a map, contemplating whether to take another penguin colony tour. We decided against it and instead took the Maritime History Trail down Ross Road. We stopped at the Christ Church (1937) with its adjacent Whale Bone arch, enjoying the interior beauty. The townspeople were proud of their English heritage as we visited them here. From a previous cruise, our music director on our ship had been invited to perform an organ concert the next time he was in Stanley, which he did on this day. We walked by the government house and school, 1982 War Memorial, stopping at the Falkland Islands Museum. It was an interesting museum of wildlife and history, including the Falkland conflict with Argentina in the 1980’s. Part of the admission was also entrance to Cartmell Cottage, built in 1849 and was one of the fist homes in Stanley. It was a kit house sent from Britain for a detachment of military “pensioners” who came to settle the Islands.

After this visit, the sun decided to make an appearance and it was beautiful. The colorful roofs and English home structure had a new beauty. We stopped at a local pub near the jetty for lunch, visited a few more shops and checked e-mail at the visitor’s center. Today came mail from Glenn that Rena’s Dad have passed out in the grocery parking lot in Indianapolis and had to be transported to the hospital. However, every line was laced with DO NOT COME HOME.

From the Falklands, it would be at least a couple days before we could make plane connections, anyway. Glenn went to check on him right away and then Kristina took the 3 hour trip with the two children (9 months and almost 3) to Indianapolis to take care of her grandpa. He was in good hands, so we continued our trip using the internet on the ship more frequently, even though the prices were high! Glenn got into big trouble from his grandpa for notifying me, but he would have gotten in trouble from his mother had he not.

Jerry wasn’t feeling well and thought it might be the fish and chips, but the rest of us felt fine. He decided to skip dinner. I joined Ken and Kitty for formal night. I returned to the room at 9:00 and called the infirmary. They gave him a shot and quarantined him for 24 hour---me too.

Day 18---Tuesday, January 24, 2006 AT SEA

This day at sea was boring as Jerry as in bed and I was confined to the room too. I kept the lights off so as not to disturb him and I flipped the TV channels and tried to listen! I was able to get room service. Lot of repeat in this remote area of the sea! Toward the afternoon, I had to get out of the room and played some cards with Deckers and did go to dinner. Jerry had the flu that was on the ship and many people were down with it. The ship was doing everything they could to control it. From the very beginning Purell stations were set up everywhere. They served us in the buffet line, etc., etc. It’s just when you get a lot of people in a confined area, it may happen.

Day 18---Wednesday, January 25, 2006 AT SEA

Jerry was feeling much better today and ate as usual. It was nice that we did not have to lose any port tours because of this.

Day 20---Thursday, January 26, 2006 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

Today we met Carlos Vitro of Privatetours for our tour of Buenos Aires. It was a delightful day with Carlos, We visited the Plaza de Mayo and it’s Casa Rosoda (pink house) where Argentina’s president works and from where Juan Peron and Evita spoke to the masses, the Metropolitan Cathedral and San Telmo. We went by taxi, coastline train on the Tren de la Costa and a trip on a catamaran through he Delta islands on the Tigre River. We had delightful lunch with a tango demonstration in La Boca—great steak which was included in his tour price. In La Boca, a very colorful neighborhood, houses are built with corregated metal. Especially on Camenito Street, historically the bright colors came from the shipyard workers who brought home leftover paint for their homes. We also toured areas of San Isidro, Palermo, Puerto Madero, Recoleta Cemetery where Evita was buried, and many other areas. It was a delightful day for the four of us. He shared with us good places to eat and other sights to see for our return visit in a few days. Carlos was a great tour guide. Our cost was $80 pp with everything included.

When we returned to the ship, we enjoyed watching the cargo being loaded in the area. The ship yard is very busy here and quite interesting watching the dock personal put “everything in its place” with much precision.

Day 21---Friday, January 27, 2006 MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY

We had no definite plans for the day. We thought we would get off the ship and with map in hand, and do “our own thing.” However, as we left the ship we decided to take a taxi tour of a couple hours which was very reasonable. ($15 pp US plus tip.) Although we had a little difficulty with the language, we did pretty well. Our driver gave us a grand tour of the area. Our first visit was to El Cabildo (Town Hall) where Uruguay’s constitution was signed. It is now a very delightful museum. The cathedral and burial place of General Jose Gervsio, father of Uruguay, were special visits.

We left the main center of the old city and visited the Palacio de Legislativo (1908), a very elegantly decorated building. It is home to the Uruguayan Parliament. It was a beautiful building with lots of local marble and soldiers at attention guarding doors and their constitution. It was interesting that we did not have to go through security as we do here. Our taxi driver picked us up at the front door and we visited areas on the outskirts of the city including some parks. We enjoyed a drive along the beachfront with all the embassies. We drove up to the presidents home, a very modern building. Our driver got permission for us to enter into the foyer of the building---quite nice.

After our tour, we returned to our ship for a quick lunch and then walked to the old city near our port. Visits to several plazas, seeing the port market, sitting on park benches, etc. was how we spent out time. After checking our e-mail, we returned to the ship.

Day 22---Saturday, January 28, 2006 AT SEA

Day 23---Sunday, January 29, 2006 AT SEA

Day 24---Monday, January 30, 2006 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL

We had no idea what was in store for us today when we left at 8:30 with Pedro (Peter) Novak, our guide from Private Tours. He hurriedly took us to his jeep built for 4, but we squeezed 5 into it. It was open air the entire time. We had anticipated a jeep like we would encounter here in the US, but no, much smaller. He whisked us off to Cocovado, with its statue of Christ, arriving before the tons of visitors. He was able to deliver us almost to the top. A beautiful view at 2329 feet above sea level. We drove through Tiguca National Park and Grumari tour. Here we took a hike through the rain forest as he pointed out things to look for.(he was a former boy scout!) An excellent guide, he took care of our every need.

After lunch in a local “buffet” style restaurant, we visited city beaches and went into the country. We visited a small local rum factory and visited with the owners. Then, off we went to a banana plantation---how he found this, I don’t know. We picked bananas, ate them and visited more beaches, stopping along the way.

It was now time to ride the cable car up to Sugar Loaf mountain and its beautiful view of the city. The cable car is in two stages and there were times when we rode through clouds. The views from here were incredible with the clouds around the “pitons.” What surprised us was at the top was like a jungle with monkeys, etc. Peter asked for one of my bananas from the plantation, and fed a monkey, soon to be about a dozen wild ones showed up. What a Kodak moment.

I can’t even imagine how many miles we drove this day. It was incredible. As the eventful day ended, we were taken back to our ship about 8:00, and went to our last dinner on the ship. After this it was packing time. Since we would be spending another week off the ship, I made sure that laundry was clean.

Day 25---Tuesday, January 31, 2006 RIO TO IGUAZZU FALLS, BRAZIL

We met our airport transfer at the dock which took us to the airport and we flew to the Brazil side of the falls via Tam Airlines. Here we were met by Oliver Daizi, a friend of Carlos and Peter. We enjoyed a long walking tour of the falls. He had cold water for us as it was very hot here. The national park is very beautiful with water falls that make Niagra look like a drip! At one point it is 4 times wider than Niagra and twice as high.

After this tour we went on a helicopter ride over the falls---my first. It was beautiful and a constant Kodak moment. After this exciting ride, we went ended our tour of the Brazilian side and Oliver completed all the paperwork to transfer us from Brazil to Argentina. It was a nice ride through some country as we approached the Sheraton Hotel where we would be staying for the next two nights.

Fresh orange juice welcomed us at check-in. Although more expensive that the others, we enjoyed the ease and availability of getting to and from the falls whenever we wanted.

We ate in the hotel buffet that evening and planned our next day.

Day 26---Wednesday, February 1, 2006 IGUAZZU FALLS, ARGENTINA

After a huge breakfast in the hotel (included), we toured about every trail there was in the park. Jerry was having some painful knee problems, so he ventured out on his own at his own pace. We took the train ride to the big falls, etc. It was beautiful. There are lots of nice boardwalk paths to follow. In the afternoon, Ken and Kitty took the raft trip under the falls. I hiked down to the lower falls and had planned to go to the island, but as I got there near the closing time of the island, I decided against it. I did see lots of coatis along the way---raccoon like animals. The hike down and back with no railings was a challenge. Luckily I had taken plenty of ice water. In the gym at the Sheraton there was cold water. Today was Ken’s birthday.

Day 27---Thursday, February 2, 2006 IGUAZZU FALLS, ARGENTINA

After checking out and storing our luggage, we went to the visitor’s center by bus and then walked back to the hotel where we changed clothes. Oliver’s driver picked us up at the Sheraton and transported us to the Iguazzu (IGR) airport. We were flying Aerolineas Argentinas and had had great concerns about our luggage limitations. They are very low (even the Argentinians are complaining) and being gone on a 4 week trip plus cruise, we knew we would have to pay over limit fees. We had one suitcase and one carry on per passenger. We were not sure which line to enter, but an employee came to us and put us in the first class line, even though we were not flying first class. We smiled, used our VERY limited Spanish and were not charged additional.

In Buenos Aires, Carlos had arranged our private transfer to the airport and hotel. Today, we said farewell to our great traveling companions as we were left off at our hotel, Ayres de Recoleta. They would be leaving that night from the airport and flying back to Indiana.

Ayres de Recoleta was a delightful hotel arranged for through a travel agent in Argentina, Mayra Brill of Argentina Travel Service, who had been recommended by others on the web. She had also made our air arrangements, much more cheaply than I could have done it. It was in the busy area of Recoleta, so we were very near restaurants, shopping, etc. We had a little kitchenette (which we didn’t use except to freeze our water), a large bed area and lots of storage. The bathroom was small, but very adequate. It was the first time I had ever seen a square sink—straight sides with right angles. We found out later that this was a coming trend. I believe it was new in the past year. The staff was most pleasant.

It was about 7:00 when we started off to find dinner. The choices were so many it was hard to decide. We used Frommer’s suggestions and chose a nice dinner at Café Victoria on Ortiz Avenue. We had a very nice meal that had meat, salad, dessert and drink all combined for one price. A delightful young hostess, Roxanne, carried on quite a conversation with us in English. She wants to study medicine in the US, so mentioned Andews University in Michigan, a Seventh Day Adventist church school of which she belongs. We thought she might get preferential treatment there, so we told her we would contact them upon our return to the US. We returned to our hotel after visiting the area. Things were just beginning to hop at this time---and we were going to bed!

Day 28---Friday, February 4, 2006 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

Our continental breakfast was enjoyed at a small café down the streets, compliments of our hotel.

We took a taxi to the Buquebus terminal to arrange a catamaran ride to Sacramento de Colonia, an old village. They were booked for the day, so we arranged to go on Sunday, since it was to rain on Saturday. The rest of the day was spent downtown Buenos Aires, shopping and looking for places for lunch!!! We ate at the Galeria’s Pacifica—an old train station converted to a beautiful, upscale shopping center.

After a full day, we returned by remis taxi to our hotel. We relaxed for a few moments and then returned to the restaurant area from the previous night. Tonight we chose another recommendation from Frommers, LaBiela at the corner of Quintana and Ortiz. They had a nice “all included” meal, including tip for $10 US. We enjoyed a very tender tenderloin steak, large salad, bread, drink, and ice cream. The portions were very appropriate. We ate inside—outside was more expensive. It was definitely the place where the locals ate.

Day 29---Saturday, February 5, 2006 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

As predicted, it was raining when we awakened this morning. We did eat breakfast nearby and returned to our room. We rested and then about noon ventured to the lavish hotel, Avlear a few blocks away. As we were leaving there, we noticed a large crafts market down the street. I had thought it was only on Sunday, but we had a nice time shopping there, buying two leather belts. There was a nice shopping center near by which had the most modern amenities for the home and its decoration. Wanting to return to LaBoca, having spent such a short time there with Carlos, we hailed a taxi to this area. We strolled the streets of this very colorful area of Buenos Aires. Caminito Street is a delight, however very touristy. After a couple hours, a taxi returned us to town where we chose El Mirasol restaurant, again from Frommers.

Oh, my, what a waste of food. We ordered a salad, vegetable and entrée. Everything was huge portions. If we could only have had a “doggie bag,” but that is not the thing to do there, so we had to let it go back. The meat was very tender and delicious. The vegetables were huge, but plain tasting and overcooked, so we centered on the meat. We left stuffed!

We walked several blocks returning to the Recoleta area, but after a walk, did feel a little space to make a stop at Freddo’s ice cream—a popular chain. It was back to the hotel room, lamenting the fact that we had to waste so much food at the restaurant.

Day 30---Sunday, February 6, 2006 COLONIA DE SACRAMENTO, URUGUAY

At breakfast this morning we met a couple and their family from California. They were staying here for a couple days and then flying to southern Chile to bike with their missionary friends.

We left early for the Buquebus terminal where we enjoyed the hour long catamaran ride to this old 16th century city with its picturesque cobblestone streets and old buildings. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We left the port on foot and thought we knew the directions, but having stopped some other passengers we returned a short distance to the port area tourist bureau, which we had missed on our way out. A nice map led us in the right direction of the old city. It was hot, and glad we wore very comfortable shoes. Our walk through the neighborhood getting there was very picturesque and we neared the gated village. There were lots of museums around the Plaza Mayor of which we paid $1 US and gained admittance to all of them! Many of the streets were very rough to walk on, but very enjoyable. We felt like we were years back in time. The old town square had locals visiting each other, etc. Just off the square, the Iglesia Martiz (17th century) is amoung the largest churches in the country.

Mid-afternoon we stopped for a drink, cheese and crackers. We had neglected to check on currency conversion rates for Uruguay. Wow, what that an expensive snack!

The catamaran returned to Buenos Aires around 6:00 p.m. We had allowed plenty of time to pay the $3 departure tax as there were lots of people and several lines, each with a particular clientele needed to use that line. We walked the Puerto Madero area along the dock. Being Sunday, families with children were strolling there, too. Since restaurants don’t open until late, we walked a long way hoping to find Spettus Steak House, recommended by Carlos. We did eventually find it, but had to wait 45 minutes for it to open. This was a parilla, where meat is prepared on a grilkl and served on a vertical stick at the table.

There was a huge salad bar and the biggest cheese bar, we had ever seen. It was so delightful. On our table was a green/red sign. We were told by the waiter in Spanish that when we were ready for the entrée, to put the green side up and when we were done, use the red side. Then the parade began. One kind of entrée after another was brought around to our table. We had the option to accept or reject. Since this was a typical local restaurant, we were a little cautious of things on skewers. If I had been ordering off a menu, I had my “cheat sheet” to check on the cuts of meat, but not now. What we had was awesome, but after gorging on the salad bar, we filled up quickly. I’m sure we turned down some choices, just because we were a little leery. Dessert and drink was included---all for $13 pp US, tip included

It was back to our room and we packed our luggage for the return trip to the US. It was a bittersweet time as we had enjoyed so much our time in this lovely country, but yet anxious to see family and friends back home.

Day 31—Monday, February 6, 2006 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA TO DALLAS, TX

After storing our luggage in the hotel, we walked for many, many blocks in the Palermo area to the botanical gardens . Jerry was happy that McDonald’s had a cappuccino bar—a new concept. We reversed our steps, noticing many “dog sitters” an occupation in the city. One person had several dogs on leashes talking them for a stroll.

Since it would be a long time before a meal, we ate in mid-afternoon returning to LaBiela. It was interesting to watch the locals with their pastries and drink at this hour. We were probably lucky to get a meal at this hour, but we ordered the same as the other night. Before we returned to our hotel, we stopped to talk with Roxanne and then on to Freddos ice cream for our last Argentine treat!

At our hotel we awaited our driver arranged by Carlos. He arrived early, which was good. He spoke no English, but was most professional very safe in the rush hour traffic. When we arrived at the airport, we couldn’t believe the lines. We questioned a local who spoke English to be sure we were in the right line and he said yes, as he was going to the US. We waited for over 2 1/2 hours in the line. Once we cleared this area, we had to go to another area to pay our departure tax. The gentleman waited on us. Off we ran to customs and more lines. They were calling people to see if they were in line as the flight time was close. We raised our hand and waited it out. I think we were the last ones to arrive at the gate, and then had to have our carry-on luggage searched. We did make it!

Day 32---Tuesday, February 7, 2006 DALLAS TO INDIANAPOLIS AND GOSHEN.

We arrived in Dallas and made the connection to Indianapolis where Rena’s father picked us up. We chatted a short time and then drove home to Goshen, IN.

This was a wonderful vacation, NEVER to be forgotten.

Crazy4Cruisn - I posted a long review in the "reviews" section of this board of this exact cruise. Presumably you've already read it. If you have any questions, let me know. I was interesting to read the above review as they had some different experiences than I during their ports of call. I chose to do HAL's shore excursions, they did private tours. It's great to read all about the differences.

• 1 month later...
Crazy4Cruisn - I posted a long review in the "reviews" section of this board of this exact cruise. Presumably you've already read it. If you have any questions, let me know. I was interesting to read the above review as they had some different experiences than I during their ports of call. I chose to do HAL's shore excursions, they did private tours. It's great to read all about the differences.

traveller 123

Did you purchase the 2 DVD set of the HAL--Cruise Chronicle and Antarctic Experience? Our Antarctic Experience DVD was very poor quality and couldn't have been our cruise as our Jan 11 was gorgeous with blue skies, etc. I am wondering if they gave us the wrong one from the week before. It also stopped with error message before it was finished playing. Our friends had the same thing happen. I've tried for a long time to get it straightened up with Image Services and perhaps today, I made some headway. Just wanted to know if you purchased it and can describe it's quality. Thanks---wasn't it a magnificent cruise!

Yes, I did purchase both DVDs. And yes, the Antarctica one was not film from our cruise. It may have been from the cruise before us or from another year...hard to tell. Certainly the weather on our cruise was so much better and, of course, on that last day, we never got to cruise into the Weddell Sea, etc. But it was a nice souvenir just the same. My DVD was not of the best quality... the sound was very bad, so I just turn it down very low. And it was choppy in spots. But I never got any sort of error message, or anything like that. I know others who purchased the DVD and they never mentioned any problems.

That trip was so incredible!!!! I'm corresponding with some people right now who will be doing the cruise in January 2007 and it's been great fun reliving the trip and giving them tips, etc. If I could do that cruise again, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Dear Traveler 123,

That's unfortunate for us and all the others. I can't believe that HAL did that. That's the reason we purchased the DVD to have a gorgeous motion of the trip to Antarctica. I may write to them when I see what Image Services can do for me.

Yes, I would go in a heartbeat, but there are other places to see in the world, too. Our month long trip to China was our other highlight trip--both different, so cannot say which was better.

It's too bad we didn't hook up on the cruise as fellow Cruise Critic fans. I checked the list of those going before we went, but didn't find a list, or didn't know how to find the list!!!

Oh, yes, when did you post your write-up of the cruise. I've looked for it, but think it would be easier if I knew the approximate date.

Thanks for responding. Those going on the same cruise--are in for the treat of their lives, aren't they.

Gerena, I posted my review in April 2006. It took me that long to write it... now if I could only get the rest of the stuff from the trip off of my dining room table, I'd be all set! The review was posted in the members' reviews area under HAL - Rotterdam - SA/Antarctica January 2006 (or something like that).

I too was disappointed in the Antarctica DVD, but only because it didn't show our trip. I also noted that the scenes from Rio were from the trip before ours. I had seen a copy of the DVD for the trip before ours and since they started the trip in Rio, there was lots of footage on that previous DVD. I understand that they didn't have time to shoot footage of us in Rio and also have the DVD ready for purchase before the last day.

January's cruise was my first time on a cruise ship... so everything was new to me and I was soooooo excited. I've since done a very short repositioning cruise on the Dawn Princess (pretty lousy) and I've booked a Baltic Sea cruise for June 2007 (also on the Rotterdam!). I'm really looking forward to that. I didn't find the Cruise Critic website until after I returned home... so I wouldn't have known that there were other cc'ers on board the ship to meet. However, I bet we crossed paths more than once and just don't know it. The only website I read before the trip was Cruise Reviews.

Thanks gerena and traveler 123 for all the great descriptions of your cruise! I can't believe I have been waiting for over a year to go!! Now it is only a little over 4 months till we leave! You need to come go again with us!

A friend who will be going with us just returned from a Scandinavian cruise where she met some people who had just done the S America/Antarctica cruise. In fact they may have been on the January cruise. They were warning her not to do Rio with a private guide as some of the ship's passengers experienced muggings. One group who had a private van tour were hijacked and robbed, another was mugged as they came from a restaurant, and others were robbed on the beach. I had arranged a guide who was to go with us for the 2 days then take us to the airport, but my friend now says that she is really concerned about this. Did you have any experience with this type of thing or hear about it?

They said the rest of the trip was great;however they did say a friend was also mugged in Buenos Aires. I know these things happen in many places, but Rio seemed especially bad.

Thanks again for all the detailed information. I have guides set up in nearly every port and can't wait!

Rio has a reputation as being very unsafe for tourists. I did not hear of any muggings, etc. of passengers on our cruise, however, I did a day-long HAL bus tour of the city that ended at the airport at night and we had a security guard on board the bus for the whole day. I do not know if he was armed, but I would assume so. There were many stories making the rounds of tour buses being stopped and tourist robbed, etc. I originally had planned to spend my first day touring by myself using public transport, but I was spoken to by both the Shore Excursion Manager and one of the officer's on board and they both pleaded with me to change my plans. The officer (on a previous cruise) had gone into the city and was sitting down at an outside cafe and a very well dressed man came over and sat opposite him and the next thing he knew the man showed him a gun wrapped up in the middle of his newspaper that he had just placed on the table and demanded money, etc. This ship's officer was a big man, very well travelled, worldly wise, etc. and he scared me enough with his story for me to change my plans. I ended up getting a ride on the free H. Stern shuttle bus to their factory in Ipanema and then 3 of us spent the day at the beach and wandering around the Ipanema neighbourhood, which felt quite safe with lots of police around. I took the H. Stern shuttle back to the ship in the late afternoon and the driver took us for a nice tour in Copacabana and around the base of Sugar Loaf, etc. The HAL shore excursion on the last day was very good. We saw lots, had a very good lunch at a fish restaurant, and were dropped off at the airport at around 7 pm. Our luggage was waiting for us there and we then had enough time to get checked in, cleaned up, and had a nice dinner at the restaurant on the second level of the airport.

I don't want to scare you, but you should be aware of the risks. I did not meet anyone who did private tours. Hopefully some of the other people here will have more to say about touring in Rio.

Rio does have probably the highest crime rate in the world. I just got an e-mail from our private guide there, Peter Novak of Private Tours--posted earlier and recommended by several Cruise Critic supporters. He indicated that crime had increased, so he is careful and taking people more outside of town and short trips.He states., "Rio has became somehow more dangerous as one year ago... and I am concentrating in doing tour outside the city area and short trips. Tours in the city area are still ok, but need to have some attention.

Best for all of you,

Peter"

I remember when we left the port area, he had us take our shirts and place them outside our pants to cover up pockets, etc. Of course, we always keep everything hidden under pants, etc. Of course that day, I took only the money we would need to pay him and a credit card. We paid for lunch with that, and I can't remember buying anything else.

He was constantly watching and I felt perfectly safe with him. Of course we did see the biggies at the top of the pitons, etc., but the rest of the time was spent in the country and beach areas. We drove over 100 miles that day in his jeep and had an excellent time.

As with anywhere, be alert. We can choose to stay at home or take some safe risks. Be prepared. I leave all jewelry at home. My husband took off his gold "retirement" watch. There are other countries, even the USA where we need to be cautious. I think Peter used to take favala tours, but has stopped that, even though he knows the ropes. We drove through there quickly.

I would never go by myself in Rio. I'm not even sure I would go to the beach alone. We have some very close friends, father and son, who went to Rio and were walking the beach and got mugged. I had heard that even though there are police, they really don't police.

I felt perfectly safe in Buenos Aires(4 days post cruise), although things can happen there. We have drive by shootings in Indiana. I don't want to live in a bubble.

Good luck with this decision. It's a challenge.

I have traveled a lot and I found Rio to be a medium scary place. It is not a place to casually take a walk alone on the beach carrying a camera and a purse. We had no problems when we were there last November for two nights 3 days. However, we were in Ipanema and we only walked a couple of times (we generally took cabs) and only one time at night and then only about a block and a half to a restaurant and 6 blocks in the daytime to go to the Hippy market, and then we were a group of 3 couples.

jc

• 3 months later...
Dear Traveler 123,

That's unfortunate for us and all the others. I can't believe that HAL did that. That's the reason we purchased the DVD to have a gorgeous motion of the trip to Antarctica. I may write to them when I see what Image Services can do for me.

Yes, I would go in a heartbeat, but there are other places to see in the world, too. Our month long trip to China was our other highlight trip--both different, so cannot say which was better.

It's too bad we didn't hook up on the cruise as fellow Cruise Critic fans. I checked the list of those going before we went, but didn't find a list, or didn't know how to find the list!!!

Oh, yes, when did you post your write-up of the cruise. I've looked for it, but think it would be easier if I knew the approximate date.

Thanks for responding. Those going on the same cruise--are in for the treat of their lives, aren't they.

FYI Traveler 123.

They sent me another copy, but it was just as bad as the first one. I'm so disappointed. A word to the wise to future travelers--be sure to make sure they are giving you the DVD of YOUR trip if you want it. Ours was terrible and NOT the cruise we were on.

Thanks gerena and traveler 123 for all the great descriptions of your cruise! I can't believe I have been waiting for over a year to go!! Now it is only a little over 4 months till we leave! You need to come go again with us!

A friend who will be going with us just returned from a Scandinavian cruise where she met some people who had just done the S America/Antarctica cruise. In fact they may have been on the January cruise. They were warning her not to do Rio with a private guide as some of the ship's passengers experienced muggings. One group who had a private van tour were hijacked and robbed, another was mugged as they came from a restaurant, and others were robbed on the beach. I had arranged a guide who was to go with us for the 2 days then take us to the airport, but my friend now says that she is really concerned about this. Did you have any experience with this type of thing or hear about it?

They said the rest of the trip was great;however they did say a friend was also mugged in Buenos Aires. I know these things happen in many places, but Rio seemed especially bad.

Thanks again for all the detailed information. I have guides set up in nearly every port and can't wait!

Dear Crazy4Cruisin:

I realize that you are about to start your voyage on the Rotterdam---if you haven't left yet. It was a year ago today we left--seems impossible--for a wonderful adventure. Bon voyage--you'll love the Rotterdam, the lectures, scientists, food and everything else. May you be blessed with excellent weather as we were.

To all other cruisers about to take the Antarctica/SA voyage---have a wonderful trip.

Gerena,

Thanks for the note. I am packing today and leaving tomorrow evening; we will spend the first night in Santiago. We are looking forward to this trip; I can't believe I have been planning for a year and know that the trip will go by so fast!

Thanks for all your help and traveler 123 also! (We are dreading the Rio airport!)

Nancy

• 1 month later...

We are still "recovering" from the trip...DH came home sick with a bad sinus infection. I will try to post more later.

The trip was marvelous!!!! Loved Antarctica!!! I don't know what to tell you about airports. Both were okay; maybe the Rio where we departed was more crowded. Whatever you do, be sure you have atleast 2 hours to go through security at the Rio airport. We almost missed our flight. I don't know if it is always that crowded, but it was unreal for our 8:25 pm flight. We checked in, got our boarding passes, then went upstairs for a drink. We had 45 min left when friends came to warn us that the line was long; we went down to stairs to security and it was over 2 blocks long!!! After asking staff at the gate what to do we finally just asked people at the front if we could get in line in front of them. Thankfully they let us. The staff said that after the second call for the flight, that American Airlines people would come pull passengers out of the line. I didn't see how they could even make it with the line as long as it was. It was unreal!!

The Rio airport was airconditioned, but it was still a little warm.

Archived