Boarding question......

bananaman

Ok, I've got two questions...

One, we're on the Sensation in April, a Thursday afternoon departure (4:00). What time would be good to show up at the terminal? The last cruise I was on was a couple of years ago and I honestly don't remember how much time we gave ourselves to go through the whole check in process. We're probably driving down from Savannah the day of (about 5 hours), so we're just trying to make sure we have time to do that as well.

Second question, because I know someone out there will reply with another thread...how do you search threads on this board? I can't figure it out, because I know this question has been asked before.

They say check-in begins at 1pm; however, I'm always at the terminal around 11. I'm usually on the ship, dropped off my carry-on in my cabin, and having lunch on Lido by noon.

About the Search feature.... Go to the top right and there's a little spot that says "SEARCH". Click on it.:)

Thanks Cotton for that information, I had no idea you could arrive that early!! I was just planning on getting there at 3:30... (newbie here) and now I think arriving earlier is something we are going to do, maybe beat the crowds a little bit.

ONE QUESTION - does the ship actually leave at 4:30pm? Do they somehow let you know before its going to leave so you can make sure to be up on deck to watch leaving the port?

They say check-in begins at 1pm; however, I'm always at the terminal around 11. I'm usually on the ship, dropped off my carry-on in my cabin, and having lunch on Lido by noon.

About the Search feature.... Go to the top right and there's a little spot that says "SEARCH". Click on it.:)

Does that usually apply to all the carnival ships? You can check in that early??? :confused:

We arrived at the pier around 11:30 and were on board eating lunch on the Lido deck by 12:30, in our room around 1:15. We then explored and our luggage arrived around 3 and we were unpacked before the muster drill and settled by sail away.

I always get there at 11:00 too (for a 4:00 sailaway) and we have been on the ship anytime between 12:00 and 12:30.

I have to say though, I have never (in 3 cruises) been on the deck for sailaway! Twice we were inside in a lounge for muster, and once we it was late and we were already at dinner - early seating.

Thanks Cotton for that information, I had no idea you could arrive that early!! I was just planning on getting there at 3:30... (newbie here) and now I think arriving earlier is something we are going to do, maybe beat the crowds a little bit.

ONE QUESTION - does the ship actually leave at 4:30pm? Do they somehow let you know before its going to leave so you can make sure to be up on deck to watch leaving the port?

1st part. By arriving earlier you'll be more likely to hit crowds. If you arrive around 3pm, the crowds will be minimum.

2nd part. Last time I sailed, they started pulling away from the dock towards the end of the muster drill

Only once did I get to the terminal around 3pm for a 4pm sailing. The crowd was thick! Took me almost an hour to board, just prior to sailaway. So - since then, I've been there early.

Most ships sail at 4pm. If the ship is supposed to sail at 4pm, that's when it sails. No leeway. There's no announcement that we're about to be underway, so just be on deck if you can at 4! Unfortunately, sometimes the muster drill IS taking place at that time......alas, it's just part of cruising.;)

Also keep in mind that traffic can be bad in NOLA as there is only one road going past the terminals. It will depend on how many ships are boarding that day.

Dave

Jetskier - I hope you will provide us with a review on your return. We will be sailing on the Sensation Thanksgiving week. I will be interested to know how traffic was, times for embarkation/debarkation, etc. I hope that they will have enough employees at that time. I was worried with the lack of people in New Orleans that it might be a problem.

I'm just south of Jacksonville, and I think your time estimate of 5 hours is pretty close.

Canaveral is a nice port - much more organized than Miami. We've shown up 10:30-11:00ish and gotten on board about 12:00-12:30.

They seem to try to leave right on schedule, unless something comes up. I've never missed a sail away.

I would NOT recommend trying to get there at 3:30!! I am a firm believer in Murphy's law. If anything can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible time. Auto breakdown, flat tire, accident clogging I-95, forgot something, etc etc.

We always try to get to our port the day before we cruise, and we drive to all the ports we've left from (nice living in Florida!:D ). It makes a nice relaxing drive, and gets the party going a day early. It also lets us go shopping if we forget something (seems like we always do), and see some of the local sites.

Last time we went out of Canaveral we did the Space Center. Much fun and a relaxing way to get ready for the cruise. Just watch out - the food there is EXPENSIVE!!

Also keep in mind that traffic can be bad in NOLA as there is only one road going past the terminals. It will depend on how many ships are boarding that day.

Dave

Sensation is going to be out of Port Canaveral in April.

Cotton knows all .... get there early. If I were leaving from Savannah, I'd depart home no later than 8 a.m. Actually, I'd probably leave between 6 am and 7 am ... but that's me. I would rather be early and do a little waiting than late and not have time to deal with potential issues.

Jetskier - I hope you will provide us with a review on your return. We will be sailing on the Sensation Thanksgiving week. I will be interested to know how traffic was, times for embarkation/debarkation, etc. I hope that they will have enough employees at that time. I was worried with the lack of people in New Orleans that it might be a problem.

Donna,

We are planning on using New Orleans Cruise Parking so that we wont have to fight too much of the traffic. We are only about 1.75 hrs from NO. This will be our first time on the Sensation (3rd with CCL).

Since we are taking our two girls, I wont be lugging our two large bags of scuba gear. We are still going to bring our regulators/mask/fins and try to slip in a one-tank dive if we can and rent the rest of the equipment locally.

Everytime that dang Carnival commercial comes on, my two girls (11/4) hears the music and comes running out of their rooms yelling "we are going on a cruise". :)

Dave

My experience has been that showing up around 2pm for a 4pm departure means fewer crowds. I know others have experienced differently, that's just what's happened to me.

I suspect that there are fluctuations in the crowd sizes throughout the day depending upon how many busses show up at a specific time; so more than anything it's probably the luck of the draw.

Documents said nobody would be allowed to board after 3:30, kids were crying, I was mad DW was quiet. We made - no lines whatsoever!!!

In fact we RAN through the Miami terminal!

Because of that pain and anguish not knowing if we would get on board, we always go early now. I had it timed perfectly, but a freak rainstorm delayed us an hour on the freeway from Orlando.

I'm just south of Jacksonville, and I think your time estimate of 5 hours is pretty close.

Canaveral is a nice port - much more organized than Miami. We've shown up 10:30-11:00ish and gotten on board about 12:00-12:30.

John, how far is Jacksonville from Pt Canavarel. We are driving down from Virginia and planning on staying in Jacksonville the night before the cruise. I estimate under 3 hours. Am I close?:confused:

Hi all, Our 8th cruise will be 5/14/06 on the Destiny sailing from San Juan at 10:00pm. We have been on Princess Line 4 times, Holland Am. twice, Costa once and we always get to the ports around 11:30am ( for a 4 or 5 o'clock departure). We are usually on the ship around 12 or 1 at the latest. We have to wait in line but we know that , so we prepare ourselves for a little wait. By getting on early we tour the ship, and start on the food(someone has to eat it all !!!:D ) It is true, if you wait till 2 or so, there is very little waiting to get on the ship. Try to get on your ships website and do all the paperwork before your cruise day.

We have never had a 10:00pm sailing, so this will be new for us. A question that I have and would really like to know is....Can I take my luggage to the pier around 10:30 or 11:00am and turn it in. Then I can go back into San Juan and take a little tour of the city. My hotel is far from the pier so I can't leave my luggage at the hotel because I'll have to take a cab back and get it after the tour. I'd like to take my luggage, check out of the hotel, take a cab into Old San Juan(where the ship will be) get "rid" of my luggage and walk into OSJ, tour the city, and go back to the pier about 2 or 3 to board the ship. When I call Carnival I get the old standard answer-You can board the ship around 2:00pm. Anyone ever get to this location very early and maybe know the answer as to how early the porters take the luggage?? I realize there is no definite answer because no ever knows how long debarkation will last...but there must be a general time that porters start taking luggage. Looking for some ideas. I'v read where there is a couple of places that will store your luggage near the pier..but I need to make contact with them. Thanks all for your help. Knarf(Frank backwards)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived