please explain the difference

wlbox

your best bet is to go to celebrity.com and look under faqs.

However the standard for Celebrity is :

CASUAL Men: sportshirt and slacks

Women: pantsuit or sporty outfit

INFORMAL Men: Jacket, shirt and tie

Women: Dress or pants outfit

FORMAL Men: Tux, dinner jacket or dark suit

Women: cocktail dresses or long gowns ( although I have seen many pants suit outfits also)

Hope that helps.

BTW: About 90% of the people adhere to the codes and the others just don't get it.

Dave:eek:

I will include a link that is from Celebrity's FAQ on their website. This is their view and not any one else's view on this subject. I am sure that you will get a few more views on this. And I see that the previous poster has basically given you the same information as me.

While all the advance literature specify that "Informal" is a jacket and tie for men, the guide on the ship's daily bulletin says only jacket and does not specify a tie. A good percentage wear a jacket and no tie. At least that's been the case on all of our Summit cruises.

It doesn't say pants either:D

nor shoes:rolleyes:

Most people know that 'informal' means jacket and tie regardless of what the dailys read. I guess according to you they should print:

Todays dress code- Men: socks, underware, t-shirt, shoes, trousers, belt, shirt, tie, jacket, cologne and jewelry optional ....please shave and comb your hair after you shower.;)

It doesn't say pants either:D

nor shoes:rolleyes:

Most people know that 'informal' means jacket and tie regardless of what the dailys read.Dave:eek:

What is it about tying a piece of cloth around your neck that makes you "informal". I've seen some people wearing some pretty cheesy clothes and "a tie" (wrinkled shirt, cheap slacks, black sneakers) and somehow that was supposed to be more formal than a guy who wears a very nice shirt and jacket and slacks with no tie! My take, if they require a "tie" they should say so. There is certainly no standard in California that indicates a "tie" is required to be informal or even semi-formal.

Bottom line: if you want to impose as standard don't go to a lot of trouble to make it confusing and try to make it sound like it is not a standard. Informal is a nebulous designation. Semi-formal described much better what they are looking for and I'm not sure why they ever changed it.

Tom

On our last 7 or 8 Celebrity cruises I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15% of the men wore ties on informal night. And the fact that the daily's specifically have removed "tie" from the requested dress code on that night indicates they do NOT expect a tie.

As Larry stated in his post..

ALL of the PRE-CRUISE literature does recommend/suggest/state that their DEFINITION of INFORMAL is Jacket AND tie.

So prior to boarding you should be aware of their policies. However if you choose not to read them, it is not the lines fault, only yours. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse, especially since the information WAS basically handed to you.

The OP asked what the difference was, not what people try to get away with doing. I think there is a CLEAR difference. At least IMHO.

"Informal is a nebulous designation" you are correct, however Celebrity DEFINES it in their pre-cruise literature.

BTW: I'va also seen some unruly looking informal wear...The difference is they are making an attempt and not trying to buck the system.

I'm really looking forward to the formal evenings. I don't get an excuse to drag out the kilt and Prince Charlie very often, so twice in one week will be a rare treat.

BTW, the answer to the age-old question "what does a Scot wear beneath his kilt?" is easy: his shoes. :D

And a good point. Formal has different interpretations around the globe. And while the cruise line cannot itemize EVERY one of them, those who dress according to their traditional formal dress are in perfect adherance to the codes.

As in Bermuda, Bermudian "Tux" shorts would be appropriate, and allowed into the dining room as long as they were in accordance to the "FORMAL STYLE" ( high dress socks, patent leather shoes and from the waist up looking just like a traditional tux. The same goes for a kilt. And Military dress is considered formal also. These are the exceptions, and not the rule.

I was found the dailys from my 3 night cruise aboard Mercury last September to the PNW.

As it is written:

Ships Dress Codes

Following are the required modes of attire for evening dress

(after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship.

Formal: Ladies: A dressy outfit, Formal Gown or Cocktail Dress.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie.

(* note: It doesn't say tie with Tuxedo, or slacks or tie with dinner jacket. So according to some posters logic on this board "THE DAILY SAYS>>>" I could attend formal night with nothing on but a dinner jacket and fully exposed...)

Informal: Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and slacks, NO jeans.

(* note: I do think its TOTALLY sexist that they are zeroing in on the no jeans for men issue...What women don't try to get away with wearing jeans? And yes its true it does not say TIE. However just as with the dinner jacket and Tux, it is expected;maybe not enforced, but expected just like pants, and shoes are.)

Casual: Ladies: Dress, pantsuit or sporty outfit.

[b]Gentlemen: [/b]Sports shirt and slacks

(*BTW: Sports shirt means something with a collar, not a printed T-shirt)

[B]Please note:[/b] Jeans, t-shirts, tank tops, swimsuits, robes, and barefeet are not permitted in the Manhattan Restaurant at any time. (*While this is meant as a deterrant...many do wear jeans in the diningroom at breakfast). Shorts are not permitted in the Manhattan Restaurant during dinner times.

Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambiance of the cruise. On Formal nights, the Formal Dress Code WILL BE required in the Manhattan Restaurant and Celebrity Theatre.

Now I truly have to say that I trully saw 99% of the folks following the codes. Even our table mates whose TA told them not to worry about it, went out shopping that day in port and showed up very nice looking in dark suits and lovey dresses.

Many didn't expect it to be Casual, Formal, Casual...but they found a way to be. And Celebrity doesn't even advertise dress codes for cruises of less than 5 night. I would have to say not only were these some of the nicest people I've met, but some of the classiest. Even as recent as the two day CocoCay on Century, both nights were CASUAL, however at the late dinner seating you would have thought it was an informal night, not to mention the few men wearing tuxes, and the women in beaded gowns. I hardly feel they were 'put out' by dressing...they went above and beyond.

So my point is, whether its a discrepancy between wearing or not wearing a tie.....Its in the information that you recieve prior to the cruise. If you listen to someones advice that says "Naw, they never enforce it, or they don't print it in the 'Daily"......Whats going to happen IF they DO enforce it on your particular cruise, and you ARE denied entry to the diningroom or theatre:( . Whos fault is it gonna be?

P.S. Its not that difficult to pack a silk tie. I even bring a couple so I have a choice.

Archived