Help with Booking Insurance Policy - CFAR/Panademic Coverage

Hi!

We just booked  a cruise for February 2021 and this is my first cruise in 5 years.  I'm traveling with my husband and 2 small kids (3 & 1) plus my older parents (84 & 65 - but they will be booking their own insurance).

I want to cover potential non-refundable expenses (flights and cruise fare primarily) should we need to cancel due to health of my parents or a 2nd wave of Covid19.  The current CFAR on the two polices that I'm looking at only covers 50% of non-refundable expenses which is better than nothing, but not optimal.  

Health issues would be covered under our full coverage policy since we are getting the insurance within 14 days of booking. So I'm really concerned with some level of protection should the cruise not be cancelled but we deem it too risky to travel.  My understand the only possible coverage for any pandemic/Covid coverage would be CFAR.  Is there another option I should look at?

On 6/9/2020 at 12:41 PM, April-in-NC said:

Hi!

We just booked  a cruise for February 2021 and this is my first cruise in 5 years.  I'm traveling with my husband and 2 small kids (3 & 1) plus my older parents (84 & 65 - but they will be booking their own insurance).

I want to cover potential non-refundable expenses (flights and cruise fare primarily) should we need to cancel due to health of my parents or a 2nd wave of Covid19.  The current CFAR on the two polices that I'm looking at only covers 50% of non-refundable expenses which is better than nothing, but not optimal.  

Health issues would be covered under our full coverage policy since we are getting the insurance within 14 days of booking. So I'm really concerned with some level of protection should the cruise not be cancelled but we deem it too risky to travel.  My understand the only possible coverage for any pandemic/Covid coverage would be CFAR.  Is there another option I should look at?

I hate to see your question sit around so long without a response. Maybe it is because fewer people frequent these boards nowadays.  Covid, no doubt, is changing cruising and travel insurance to cover it.  I’ll give it my best shot as I understand it today.

Cancel for any reason is your only bet for recovering anything should you choose to cancel for a non-covered reason. As you have found, it is expensive and harder to get. Insurance companies are well aware of the risk and are not likely to offer more generous reimbursement than the policies you’ve already found.

As far as reimbursement for air, unless you buy refundable tickets or the airline cancels the flight, you are not likely to get cash back. Usually, the airline charges a cancellation fee and gives a voucher to be used within a year. In that case, the insurance company may cover the fees but does not cover the full cost because you were compensated by the airline with a voucher.

It is probably best to talk to a travel insurance agent if you haven’t already. Getting the right policy has always been a challenge as many have discovered after the fact.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, April-in-NC said:

Hi!

Options as I see them.

1. Buy refundable airfare. If that's too expensive consider covering the flights with the airlines insurance that they offer on their own.

2. Cancel the insurance from TravelGuard and go with the cruiseline insurance. Cruiseline insurance usually has 75% CFAR with cancellation up to scheduled trip start rather than 48 hours prior.

3. Get a medical and evac coverage alone policy from tripinsurancestore.com

• Thanks 1