In February 2020, I put down a $750 deposit each for my husband and I for an October 2020 Uncruise cruise line trip called Rivers of Adventure on the Snake and Columbia River. I also bought two roundtrip non-refundable United tickets for each of us. I then bought a Travelex Travel Guard policy through Travelex to cover these expenses knowing we would be buying more travel insurance to cover the balance of the cruise price when it was due in early August. Because of the pandemic, I had planned to make a decision about cancelling the cruise by the end of this month as their cancellation policy at the time I booked said if you cancel 91 days prior to the trip, you get back half of your deposit.

Today we received an email from Uncruise that essentially said the Rivers of Adventures cruise would not go ahead this fall because the local tour operators (e.g., jet boat tour) and museums could not accommodate the guests because of the pandemic. The email stated, "Out of respect for these smaller communities and suppliers along with the concern for our guests’ safety, we are forced to suspend operations for our Rivers of Adventure and the Rivers of Wine itineraries this fall."

The choices Uncruise offered in the email were to either book on a completely different pacific northwest itinerary/cruise that they are still running this fall or to opt to convert our deposit to a travel certificate to use in 2021 for a cruise that would be a combination of their Rivers of Adventure and Rivers of Wine itineraries. Since we had signed up for the Rivers of Adventure cruise for a reason and were not interested in their Rivers of Wine tour, I feel they have essentially eliminated the itinerary we had originally signed up for and have offered us a completely different cruise this fall or a 2021 cruise that is substantially different than the one we had signed up for.

I haven't contacted Uncruise yet, but if Uncruise does not completely refund our deposit because we are not interested in either of these options, would Travelex cover the deposit and the airfare since the cruise company essentially cancelled the cruise we were signed up for?

2 hours ago, A05951 said:

In February 2020, I put down a $750 deposit each for my husband and I for an October 2020 Uncruise cruise line trip called Rivers of Adventure on the Snake and Columbia River. I also bought two roundtrip non-refundable United tickets for each of us. I then bought a Travelex Travel Guard policy through Travelex to cover these expenses knowing we would be buying more travel insurance to cover the balance of the cruise price when it was due in early August. Because of the pandemic, I had planned to make a decision about cancelling the cruise by the end of this month as their cancellation policy at the time I booked said if you cancel 91 days prior to the trip, you get back half of your deposit.

Today we received an email from Uncruise that essentially said the Rivers of Adventures cruise would not go ahead this fall because the local tour operators (e.g., jet boat tour) and museums could not accommodate the guests because of the pandemic. The email stated, "Out of respect for these smaller communities and suppliers along with the concern for our guests’ safety, we are forced to suspend operations for our Rivers of Adventure and the Rivers of Wine itineraries this fall."

The choices Uncruise offered in the email were to either book on a completely different pacific northwest itinerary/cruise that they are still running this fall or to opt to convert our deposit to a travel certificate to use in 2021 for a cruise that would be a combination of their Rivers of Adventure and Rivers of Wine itineraries. Since we had signed up for the Rivers of Adventure cruise for a reason and were not interested in their Rivers of Wine tour, I feel they have essentially eliminated the itinerary we had originally signed up for and have offered us a completely different cruise this fall or a 2021 cruise that is substantially different than the one we had signed up for.

I haven't contacted Uncruise yet, but if Uncruise does not completely refund our deposit because we are not interested in either of these options, would Travelex cover the deposit and the airfare since the cruise company essentially cancelled the cruise we were signed up for?

Hi A05951,

> I then bought a Travelex Travel Guard policy through Travelex

Travelex is a different company from Travel Guard. What's the name of the policy you bought and what State do you live in?

Steve Dasseos

21 minutes ago, A05951 said:

My apologies. Had a Travel Guard policy for another trip in the past. This trip was Travelex Select policy, and I live in Wisconsin.

The names get confusing.

Your Travelex Select won't reimburse your deposit and airfare. You are able to change the dates to a future trip.

You can see what Travelex will do on my "Coronavirus Policy Date Changes and Claims" page:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/coronavirus-policy-change/

I hope this help you,

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1