NCL lately

big mom

My family and I went on the NCL Spirit for Thanksgiving and were not impressed at all. We have been on the NCL Dawn twice and was very impressed both times. A friend from work went on the Dawn last week and it was her second time and said the food was terrible and there was hardly any staff around. Now another co worker just came back from Hawii the Pride of America and he had the same problems. We are always thinking of our next trip on a NCL line but I am wondering if NCL is cutting back or what? I like NCL because I have small children and the feeling of doing what we want when we want. I hope these problems are not going to become normal for NCL.

Big Mom: Without going into a review of our cruises, we cruised with NCL for the first time on the Jewel in November and for the second time in January. As we enjoyed both cruises, they were just not our cup of tea regarding food, service, etc. We were not impressed in November and even less so in January. We will think long and hard before booking with NCL again for a while. Maybe its an industry wide situation, but we'll give another line a chance.

As long as consumers continue to demand lower cruise prices, service and food is going to get worse. And you will be charged for every little thing they can charge you for onboard. I discovered a long time ago that if you go with an all inclusive - you pay more initially - but I am not sure there is any difference in price if you add your cruise fare to your the bill that is slipped under your door the last day of your cruise. I DO know that the service is exceptional, the food exceptional and it makes for a very different cruise all together when you are not nickeled and dimed for everything under the sun.

We too like NCL and the entire concept of Freestyle dining and dress codes.

Grumbling seems to be cyclic on these boards, but lately, it does seem that there have been a higher than normal amount of complaints about the food.

This is upsetting. Hopefully, the powers to be at NCL are aware of the unhappiness.

Every single cruiser who is dissatisfied with food should indicate so on the questionnaire at the end of the cruise, and perhaps drop a note to NCL stating such.

If enough cruisers would do this instead of simply complaining on CC after the fact, food quality may improve. Let's hope so, if it is as bad as some say.

We booked our first cruise ever on the Jewel - set to sail 4/23/06.

We have been land-vacationers for years and have an established budget for doing so. My sister has cruised for years and raved about it so we decided to try it. We found that cruising is definitely more expensive, even after factoring in that your food, entertainment and most beverages (we aren't alcohol drinkers). However, as my sister pointed out, under what other circumstances can you visit 4 countries in one vacation? It's like getting a "4-fer" as she puts it and she's right. So, I guess we have to look at aspect as well. BUT - between airfare and cruise cost, we are spending a little over $2,000 - that's not including excursions, trinkets, alcohol (if we want that rare daquiri) and transportation to and from the airport/port.

But I can tell you that, if we cruise and it isn't what we expect, I doubt that we will cruise again unless we hear some very positive reviews of it. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with cruising - it's just a more expensive option that we can't necessarily afford right now. It's like any other type of vacation - you either stay at the 4* hotel or the 2* hotel based on what you can afford.

Just my .02!

I, too, am disheartened to read (what seems to be) an increasing number of negative NCL posts. Seems to be fleet-wide, which could be "profit margin". We are sailing the STAR on Monday. Got an Excellent price for a mini suite. Don't plan to $pend xtra in the speciality re$taurant$, ca$ino, or bar$. I am disappointed to learn about the increa$e$ in bar pricing, including the famous "bucket of beer". Any touring will be procurred once we get off the ship. What will cause me to post a negative review will be: unsafe ship; unclean ship; inferior service. Great service will always leave you smiling, even when other issues aren't quite up to standards. I hope we aren't disappointed as we had such a wonderful holiday Feb '05, on the STAR. It was so great that we re-booked it. It is disappointing that the itinerary has already been changed due to propulsion issues, but occassionally, these things can happen.

I am going on the majesty in April- anticipating a great time with good food. I'm not excpecting a five star meal but a good one. Food is one of those things that is very subjective. I found a lot of the negative food posters, were also negative in most things. Saying that though, I would definately like to see more positive feedback.

Emjake: You are so right. I believe it was the service issue more than the food. Food you can work around. The staff was there, just not what I expect. Smiling, helpful staff can make you overlook a LOT of things. However, when we went to the registration desk regarding a couple of service issues and were told "Maybe you're expectations are too high":eek: it kind of makes you think maybe service is not their #1 concern.

Emjake: You are so right. I believe it was the service issue more than the food. Food you can work around. The staff was there, just not what I expect. Smiling, helpful staff can make you overlook a LOT of things. However, when we went to the registration desk regarding a couple of service issues and were told "Maybe you're expectations are too high":eek: it kind of makes you think maybe service is not their #1 concern.
You're kidding, yes??? they actually said that??? "..expectations too high...? IF anyone ever said those words to me, I'd for certain, ask to speak with the Captain! and I wouldn't stop there.... Shareholders need to know! My kids know: "..don't frost Bubbie's cookies..."

How very rude of that employee.

That is absolutely not an acceptable response. I too would have been asking to speak with the "Boss".

...so, I am checking to find under what symbol NCL trades? guess what, I can't find it! at this time, it appears to be not on the market. do any of you have an answer? (wanted to compare RCL to NCL which used to be NCL Corp, now NCL Corp Limited...nothing on the web site....any traders out there?

I, too, am concerned about the reviews lately. One would expect a bad review here and there. However, over the past few months the reviews have almost consistantly mentioned disappointing food. I am an avid fan of NCL. Have always cruised in suites and spent a lot of money on board. Always book excursions through NCL, etc. We are booked in a Penthouse Suite on the Spirit in July. I am very concerned. Food is an important part of vacation for us. It's the time that we put diets aside, don't really "watch" what we eat nor are we particularly health conscience either. Hey, it's a vacation. We do eat in the extra charge places, but also don't want to feel that we "have to" because food in the standard places is sub-par. I understand profit margins, etc. But, eventually this will hurt NCL. Especially when other cruise lines move in to the NYC area year round starting this spring. Competition will become too great. Personally, I would prefer to pay a bit more and have better food then pay less and not be treated to a really good meal. So NCL, if your reading this, this fan hopes that you bring the food quality back to what it use to be. Please!

IMHO, the service (Sincere Smiling Service) is most important. food is food - I won't go hungry. p.s. and the room steward had better remember to vaccuum under the bed and check the closets 'cause I'm rather bored with finding the previous passenger's belongings (and trash!).... still hoping someone responds w/stock info....

We have always had exceptional service on NCL by all the staff.

However, I am also finding more complaints lately about all the NCL ships.

I go with a open mind to have a good time on the Spirit April 2nd.

I have never had a bad meal on any of my 25 cruises. The food would have to be pretty awful for me to complain about.

...so' date=' I am checking to find under what symbol NCL trades? guess what, I can't find it! at this time, it appears to be not on the market. do any of you have an answer? (wanted to compare RCL to NCL which used to be NCL Corp, now NCL Corp Limited...nothing on the web site....any traders out there?[/quote']

NCL is listed under Star Cruises, Ltd., which includes Norwegian Cruise Line, NCL America, and Cruise Ferries, plus one more, I believe. This is a Genting Group - as indicated on the NCL site.

I believe the symbol is SSKZF.

Maybe this will help. I hope this is correct, if not, please make the corrections when you find it.

A little different view.

I leave for my 6th cruise on the Dawn Sunday - weather permitting:D

The price of this cruise is less per day then my cruise on the Windward in 93. Something has to change.

All the lines are working to cut cost, increase revenue onboard, and keep fares low.

The good thing about NCL is I have options. I plan on eating in alternate restaurants 6 of 11 nights. A couple are free. So I will be adding perhaps a $100 to my cruise fare to eat far better then on the Windward.

In addition to enjoying Prime Rib, lobster tails, etc in the main dinning room I will have the option of having

Double lamb chops

Fillet with escargot and chocolate fondue.

Maine lobster

Sea Bass

Veal chops

Porterhouse steak

Mexican

Chicken Parm

Teppanyaki

Fish and chips

Ribeye

Yes I will have to take advantage of the specialty restaurants but that is why they are there. I prefer having the options. No matter how much $ they put in the main dining room menus they will not please everyone.

As far as I am concerned they could get rid of the giant main dinning room and go with 20 specialty restaurants. We could all find the food we like - From vegan to meat and potatoes.

My family and I went on the NCL Spirit for Thanksgiving and were not impressed at all. We have been on the NCL Dawn twice and was very impressed both times. A friend from work went on the Dawn last week and it was her second time and said the food was terrible and there was hardly any staff around. Now another co worker just came back from Hawii the Pride of America and he had the same problems. We are always thinking of our next trip on a NCL line but I am wondering if NCL is cutting back or what? I like NCL because I have small children and the feeling of doing what we want when we want. I hope these problems are not going to become normal for NCL.

I agree...we really enjoyed our experience on the Dawn a couple of years ago...but our last trip (1/28/06) on Star was way below our standards! We, too think NCL is cutting costs in order to make their cruises more affordable to more people. I hate to sound like a snob...but we actually had a guy on our cruise that walked around all day and in the bars with cut-off farmer overalls-no shirt AND old cowboy boots!! It was gross.

I suppose it's relative. Let me explain:

We went on a company paid Carnival cruise years ago. We were bored to death, the ship was in dire need of repair in several areas, and when we expereinced what was supposed to be "wonderful food", we wondered why we even dressed up. We thought we would never cruise again.

Even so, we sailed on the NCL this past Thanksgiving. The service was always great, except for one lone knucklehead crew member. And - I have learned that you can find one knucklehead anywhere, so the one doesn't surprise or upset me much... The food was wonderful. The ship was well-kept. Everything was really, really fun, nice, etc. And - this was at a busy time = Thanksgiving 2005.

The Dream is supposed to be old, chopped up, not as good as the other ships. We never sailed NCL before to have anything to compare to. We were extremely pleased, and we spent over $3600 for four, as we booked two seperate 9th floor rooms.

Should the expereinced cruisers abandon their "this is what it used to be like" philosophy a little and hop on board to just experience what's happening today - which is great? How can all the other ships be so bad when the Dream is awesome?

I'm getting ready to book a NCL Sun to Alaska. First time cruiser. We picked NCL mainly for the Seattle to Seattle intinerary. It's just more convenient from where we are flying. Way more convenient. It seems that food is the main decline being discussed. Followed by service. I'm expecting decent, not gourmet food. I'm expecting decent, but not personal butler service. I don't want "gross" cheap food. I don't expect gourmet food. I need someone logical with common sense to give some NCL reviews!!

A little different view.

I leave for my 6th cruise on the Dawn Sunday - weather permitting:D

The price of this cruise is less per day then my cruise on the Windward in 93. Something has to change.

All the lines are working to cut cost, increase revenue onboard, and keep fares low.

The good thing about NCL is I have options. I plan on eating in alternate restaurants 6 of 11 nights. A couple are free. So I will be adding perhaps a $100 to my cruise fare to eat far better then on the Windward.

In addition to enjoying Prime Rib, lobster tails, etc in the main dinning room I will have the option of having

Double lamb chops

Fillet with escargot and chocolate fondue.

Maine lobster

Sea Bass

Veal chops

Porterhouse steak

Mexican

Chicken Parm

Teppanyaki

Fish and chips

Ribeye

Yes I will have to take advantage of the specialty restaurants but that is why they are there. I prefer having the options. No matter how much $ they put in the main dining room menus they will not please everyone.

As far as I am concerned they could get rid of the giant main dinning room and go with 20 specialty restaurants. We could all find the food we like - From vegan to meat and potatoes.

We cruise NCL very much the same way. It's not that we have minded the food in the main dining rooms but we prefer the food, service and small atmosphere of the specialty restaurants that we usually eat most dinners there. We too like having options and NCL provides that to us.

As a fairly new cruiser, I read these boards all day and night and I read reviews on many other lines as well. If you hop over to The CCL or RCL boards you will see many negative reviews as well, it is not just NCL.

Freestyle is a very different cruise experience from what I have heard. I am glad that our first cruise was on NCL as I do not think that we would have enjoyed traditional cruising. It is not for everyone.

As cruising become more and more propular the industry will have to be more and more competitive with pricing. The lower the pricing, the lower the ammentities. It is the way things work.

I have NEVER in my life had a bad vacation. I have travelled extensively and while things go wrong, I have never had a "nightmare" vacation. Your attitude can make or break your vacation.

I am sailing in 50 someting days on the Jewel and I can not wait. I am sure that NCL will not disappoint.

I'm getting ready to book a NCL Sun to Alaska. First time cruiser. We picked NCL mainly for the Seattle to Seattle intinerary. It's just more convenient from where we are flying. Way more convenient. It seems that food is the main decline being discussed. Followed by service. I'm expecting decent, not gourmet food. I'm expecting decent, but not personal butler service. I don't want "gross" cheap food. I don't expect gourmet food. I need someone logical with common sense to give some NCL reviews!!

Good Choice.

You will find many reviews on here - Do a search, and pull as many Sun reviews as you can.

We did our first cruise on the Spirit out of Seattle to Alaska. We absolutely loved everything about the cruise, food, ship, crew, freestyle dining, and dress code, etc. You name it, we liked it.

Just prior to booking the cruise, the Spirit was going through a transition, and there were many bad reviews, and negative thoughts being tossed about. That did not influence us, and we are so glad that we made the choice to go with NCL and the Spirit in particular.

I have been posting on this thread because I find all of the recent comments confusing. It just doesn't seem possible that things have changed so drastically since September.

There are many good to great comments referring to the Sun along with the few unhappy cruisers. There will always be grumblers.

You can get decent to great food with all of the choices available. You will also get good service. If not, complain right on the spot. Don't wait till you return. It is too late then to get much taken care of. They truly do strive to please.

With your reasonable expectations, you will do fine.

My DH and I have cruised with NCL 7 times (Norway, Wind, Crown, Sun, and Star), and with other lines 16 times in the last 17 years. We are booked on the Jewel 10-21-06 cruise and very excited about it.

We just returned from the Star 1-20-06 Mexican Riviera cruise and were also on the Star to Alaska in September 2004. As of now, the Star is our favorite NCL ship, but we can't wait to see the Jewel and find a new favorite.

We didn't see any more wear and tear on the ship this time than we did in 2004. Workers were constantly doing some kind of upkeep during our cruise, including turning all the water off in our cabin for two or three hours during one night. We received notification of this before it happened.

We did see a big difference in the menu selection. The food was good, as always, but the selection was very much reduced. I am content with a cold fruit soup, great salad, and wonderful dessert. My husband loves to try everything. In 2004 I had everything I wanted. As mentioned before, the cold soup selection was usually missing at dinner. We did have it offered occasionally at lunch. There was only one salad choice each night in addition to the Caesar salad that was always available, and the dessert choices were few. I had bread pudding three nights for lack of choice of something better. My husband usually settled for ice cream. I did miss the chocolate cakes, fruit pies, tarts, etc. On past cruises, I've been known to order (and eat) three desserts, but not this time. We love the Versaille Dining Room and ate there most evenings.

We ate at the buffet for some lunches. I usually have salad as my main choice at lunch, but the salad toppings choice was very limited this year. One of my favorites, shredded cheese, was never available when we were there. (The salad greens were fresh and very good, though.) The choices in fresh fruit were also much more limited than a year ago.

We ate breakfast in the Versaille Room and at the buffet. We both thought breakfast was very good in both locations.

We also found service to be very good everywhere (no change from a year ago). Employees everywhere smiled and said hello.

Archived