Suggestions for inside cabin on Edge class ships

Hello all

This is my first time posting on the Celebrity board. 

I’m looking to book my first Celebrity cruise in the near future. I was hoping to travel on the Celebrity Edge or Apex, although most likely the latter. I’m booking a port intensive Med trip and therefore was planning to book an inside room. 

Questions

1. The Celebrity Edge class ships look great, but I’m a newbie. Are they as good as they seem? Any significant disadvantages I should be aware of? I’m in my early thirties but I’m treating my Mum to this trip too. Mum is in her mid fifties. 

2. Do you have any recommendations for inside cabins? I’d be particularly grateful for deck suggestions as inside rooms seem to be bookable on decks 7-12. Do you have a preference? If so, why? 

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I’m grateful. 

Best regards 

AF

We have been on Equinox once and Edge once, and have an upcoming cruise on Apex in April 2021.

I will not provide a general review of Edge, since you can find those here on CC (I also submitted an Edge review back in December 2019). Both my wife and I can warmly recommend the Edge class, based just on our single cruise on Edge! We're both 31, and you should also expect to be in the lower half on the age demography onboard, but that applies for Celebrity in general.

On our Edge cruise we had a category 10 Deluxe Inside stateroom, #8176. For our upcoming Apex cruise we booked the stateroom on the other side of the wall. I can only recommend these Deluxe Insides, and I don't think we would actually bother going to an Outside or above stateroom - we're very comfortable in Insides, and it helps us sleep better at night, since no natural lightning comes in the stateroom at all. The money we save on not "upgrading" to a higher stateroom class is spent on excursions and spa treatments instead.

Clearly, you won't be able to enjoy your breakfast (or any other meals!) watching the sea from your stateroom, but we felt there were plenty of other places to do that; the terrace in the Oceanview Cafe (buffet restaurant open from 6am - 2am) and in general all across the ship, so we absolutely didn't feel like missing out on that matter.

Though not guaranteed, I am almost certain you'll enjoy the Edge class. We, at our age, enjoyed the design and everything on Edge above Equinox. My parents-in-law (mid-50s + early 60s) were in a S3 suite on the same Edge cruise in December, and they had the same feeling; they enjoyed Edge over Equinox.

I wouldn't bother with category 12 Insides, since they are only 10$pp cheaper than category 11 Insides, and 12s are in the least desirable locations. Cat 11 are the cheapest Deluxe Insides, and are located on deck 7 and 8 forwards on the ship. Cat 10 and Cat 9 are the more "expensive" Inside categories, and we have been very satisfied with cat 10 Insides, which are located midship on deck 8, forwards and on the back of the ship on deck 9, and on the back on deck 10 and 11.

Just FYI, the price difference between each Inside category, 12->11->10->9, is 10$pp, so as I said I really don't see any point in saving 10$ from cat 11 down to cat 12, since they are a lot less desirable than cat 11, so go for at least cat 11 in my opinion.

You can see the Edge deck plan here (scroll down halfway), as well as the stateroom category locations on the ship: https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-edge and you can see the CC ship reviews here: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=1130. Currently, there are only two Mediterranean reviews (almost the whole 2020 Med season has naturally been cancelled due to Covid-19), but a lot of reviews from Caribbean cruises, including my own review: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=672236. To put it short, the only thing that kept my rating from 5/5 was the horrible dining experience, which, luckily, does seem to have been a one-off bad experience.