Funny question...

Skylarr29

I know there have been a thousand threads on what to wear and I tried searching but with no luck. My question is should dh and I bring long underwear?? We sail in July. I know the weather can change and we will be prepared for both hot and cold but what about when we do the glacier dog sledding and our glacier hike. We are from FLorida and have never seen snow so I imagine we will be cold lol !! We also know to layer and purchased lined rain jackets that fold up into its own pocket. OK so how cold should we be prepared for at the worse. Coats and gloves and long underwear??

I know there have been a thousand threads on what to wear and I tried searching but with no luck. My question is should dh and I bring long underwear?? We sail in July. I know the weather can change and we will be prepared for both hot and cold but what about when we do the glacier dog sledding and our glacier hike. We are from FLorida and have never seen snow so I imagine we will be cold lol !! We also know to layer and purchased lined rain jackets that fold up into its own pocket. OK so how cold should we be prepared for at the worse. Coats and gloves and long underwear??

I am going in August and not only plan on bring "long handles" but sweaters and goosedown jackets as well. We will be prepared for warmish to cold.

To give you an idea of how quickly weather can change at elevations, a couple of years ago hubby and I were hiking in Rocky Mtn. National park in Colorado (not exactly Alaska, but we were in the mountains) on July 1st. We weren't doing a long hike, only about 3 miles but mostly uphill. The clouds rolled in suddenly and IT STARTED SNOWING on us. It was in the upper 70s at the base so being the dumb Texan that I am, I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt and didn't have a jacket in my backpack. I froze my hiney off before we made it back to the truck.

I'm bringing my long underwear. I found some extremely soft ones at Dilliards. I think they are called Cuddl'duds. They are really thin but warm so you can wear them under your regular clothes. I wore them hiking in Washington last April under my jeans and actually got hot enough to have to strip behind a tree by the path. It was snowing that day too.

We plan on bringing long underwear and "lots" of layers. We are hoping to leave the really heavy coats at home.

My brain has a hard time with the " what to wear on the ship" question?" It is hard to think July and winter clothes at the same time. Do people wear summer dresses in the dining room or do they wear their darker winter/warmer dresses?

Specifically what do the kids wear in the kids program? Is it warm in there? Are they active enough to wear shorts or will they wear pants and long sleeves? Both kids will be in the 8-12 age group on Princess.

Any comments would be helpful...

Thanks

but what about when we do the glacier dog sledding and our glacier hike. We are from FLorida and have never seen snow so I imagine we will be cold lol !! We also know to layer and purchased lined rain jackets that fold up into its own pocket. OK so how cold should we be prepared for at the worse. Coats and gloves and long underwear??

These activities are best done in the buff, it adds to the excitement and also adds a certain element of danger!:D

I know there have been a thousand threads on what to wear and I tried searching but with no luck.

I think you need to brush up on your searching skills. That said, if own them and you are worried bring them. I don't think you need to buy them. Even though we had snow on July 31 at the top of it was in the 20's but only near the top. You can always opt for layers top and bottom without buying long underwear you will never need again.

Here is a web site I found with a quick google search of average temperatures Alaska. It looks like a good one.

http://www.travelalaska.com/Climate/Averages.aspx

I am from Georgia so I don't handle the cold well either. To me, below 50 is very cold. I have a couple of pairs of silk long johns that I got from lands end. I've been to Alaska twice and used them. They are great when cruising glaciers and will keep you very toasty. They take up almost no space in the suitcase. Sometimes you may just elect to wear only the top or the bottom. It worked for me and prevented me from having to take a bulky coat.

We take our Cuddleduds in our carryon's. They take up little room and make great pj's if need be.

As far as using them again, ours have been to Paris and London - they even work well under a suit. ;)

Think of them as a once in a lifetime purchase - and they're really cheap at Target.

I think you need to brush up on your searching skills. That said, if own them and you are worried bring them. I don't think you need to buy them. Even though we had snow on July 31 at the top of it was in the 20's but only near the top. You can always opt for layers top and bottom without buying long underwear you will never need again.

Here is a web site I found with a quick google search of average temperatures Alaska. It looks like a good one.

http://www.travelalaska.com/Climate/Averages.aspx

Thanks you very much for posting the link. I will try to search for different terms. I have researched the average temps but its more that I have no cencept of what 50 or below feels like lol. I only know hot, hot and hotter weather!!! Thanks again.

We've been reading the threads about clothing and checking the recommended sites. The way we are determining what to take to wear is by comparing the possible July temperatures to the weather here in Virginia Beach. Today, it is raining and 43 degrees...rather typical for our area and we are wearing thin cotton pants, polo shirts under cotton sweater or light weight sweat shirts. We just got back to the house and one of us wore a light weight, unlined rain coat and the other simply carried an umbrella. We own very little wool clothing because we seldom need it here. While we were out we commented that we might encounter weather in Alaska that is much like it is here today and decided we would be right at home. We do plan to throw into the suitcase a pair of unlined gloves and a pair of fleece sweat pants that we can wear under our zip-leg synthetic cargo pants if needed as well as a hooded sweatshirt. We love to (snow) ski and have the clothing for it but more often than not we are comfortable skiing in lighter layers. The only time we've worn long underwear is while skiing in temperatures well below freezing and don't plan on taking them. We have reservations to do the helicopter/dogsled tour and rationalize that by utilizing our layering technique we will be comfortable. On the flip side, we'll also take short sleeved shirts in case Alaska is having a heatwave. If we made a mistake in our choices you will be able to recognize us...the frozen, blue, teeth-chattering couple standing at the rail of the ship wearing lightweight Eddie Bauer clothing. By the way, we are predicted to have snow tonight and we still aren't putting on wool to go out to dinner.

I wear my long underwear when standing on the decks as high up as I can get, to admire the scenery when cruising the glaciers. The wind chill really gets to you. I take fleece gloves and earmuffs for that also. Other than that, I take an unlined gortex rain jacket and if needed, I wear a sweatshirt under it. I am plenty warm that way and not all bulked up.

It's cold here in north Texas today 56 high and 25 low so I got an idea of what the weather might be like in May. Made up my mind pretty quickly when I was out in the wind this afternoon. The coat WITH the hood goes with me (and the cuddleduds). If it stays in the suitcase the whole time, that's fine. If I have it and don't need it, I've just blown a little luggage space. If I need it and don't have it, I ruin a vacation I paid $$$$ to go on. Seems like a no brainer to me since I DON'T like being cold.

Archived