Isaias - Atlantic - July 30

PelicanBill

Good morning weather fans.  Well Isiais is considerably weaker overnight and now forecast to be only a tropical storm with winds in the 60+ Mph area.  I am watch this. however... when storms cross the gulf stream warm water.... they tend to gain some strength.  You can see it in the IR loop.

animate.png

And then there's this: the path is now considerably more west than before, so it's over land a lot of the way up the coast, but they are still forecasting tropical storm strength all the way to the northeast.  I can't help but wonder if it will be much weaker as it crosses NC, if it indeed travels this path.

cone graphic

Still flirting with the strength boundary for Hurricane and forecast to make it once again for a short time as it makes landfall near the SC/NC border.  Si we have hurricane warnings back up for some of the coast.  A tropical storm at the US/Canada border in Maine?  How about that.  I remember a similar storm closing a lot of the Appalachian and other trails some years back. That would be back timing for all the northbound hikers this year.

cone graphic

Still strong and hammering NC, MD and Virginia, now moving toward NJ and eastern PA. A huge area of moisture ahead of it to be drawn in as it travels north-northeast.

Should begin to weaken but a lot of wind and rain. Tornadoes and a lot of power outages.

image.png.edc6c97205c6061c514dfc71434147ae.pngcone graphic

I'm on Long Island's south shore - about 65 miles east of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

The one rain band impacting the area lasted about half an hour, and skies cleared about 20 minutes ago. Still quite a bit of gusty wind, and lots of tree limbs down. Local fire department has the road closed where a tree is being held up only by Verizon phone lines.

21 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

I'm on Long Island's south shore - about 65 miles east of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

The one rain band impacting the area lasted about half an hour, and skies cleared about 20 minutes ago. Still quite a bit of gusty wind, and lots of tree limbs down. Local fire department has the road closed where a tree is being held up only by Verizon phone lines.

Yikes that's a good ways out too. I was born in Smithtown/Ronkomoma.  Stay safe!