Need help choosing a stateroom on Eir

Sun Lover

We are in the process of planning a Viking Rhine river cruise for 2022 on the Eir longship.  We have been on several ocean cruises with Royal Caribbean but never a river cruise.  We've had cabins a couple times on the lower deck with Royal Caribbean but mostly we've had balcony cabins.  It is nice to have the balcony but, frankly, we don't spend much time there.  The difference in cost between a standard stateroom and a veranda stateroom with Viking is $1,000 per person, which to me seems like a lot.  I don't think we'd be in the room all that much and from what I've read, the river ships travel mostly at night.  from the pictures I've seen, the window placement on the standard stateroom with Viking looks very high up and doesn't look really useful. Would it really be worth spending $2,000 more for the veranda stateroom?  

The cost difference between a standard and veranda stateroom varies depending on when you sail. We have a Rhine Getaway booked for November, 2022. The difference between the cheapest standard room and cheapest veranda room is $600 each. In September, that difference would be $1,500 each, plus a fare difference of $700 for a total of $2,200. Given the veranda room is 25% bigger, we’re going veranda for this cruise.

All told, Viking River ship cabins are smaller than Viking Ocean ships. The cheapest river cabin Is about 1/2 the square footage of an ocean one.

Hope this helps.

52 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

We are in the process of planning a Viking Rhine river cruise for 2022 on the Eir longship.  We have been on several ocean cruises with Royal Caribbean but never a river cruise.  We've had cabins a couple times on the lower deck with Royal Caribbean but mostly we've had balcony cabins.  It is nice to have the balcony but, frankly, we don't spend much time there.  The difference in cost between a standard stateroom and a veranda stateroom with Viking is $1,000 per person, which to me seems like a lot.  I don't think we'd be in the room all that much and from what I've read, the river ships travel mostly at night.  from the pictures I've seen, the window placement on the standard stateroom with Viking looks very high up and doesn't look really useful. Would it really be worth spending $2,000 more for the veranda stateroom?  

My personal opinion.  Our first and last river cruise we were in a standard cabin on the lower deck.  You have already mentioned a pro which is the price.  Some people like the water level view looking the swans in the eyes.  Some cons (at least for me since I am a light sleeper) - 1) if on the middle of the river side there might be some wave "lapping" noise from other boats on the river;  2) noise going through the locks; 3) might not like the water level view.

My wife and I were fine with the cabin size.

Our next scheduled river cruise is the May 2021 Romantic Danube.  We have opted for a French Balcony on this one to see what it is like.

One more thing I would mention is that we were relative close to the middle of the ship and when docked we heard some pretty loud noise from the gangway being let down on the ship.  Not sure this was because of being on the lower deck; I think it was from being closer to the gangway area.  So I next one is more toward the back but not all the way.  By the way the small narrow windows did not  bother us.  Enough to see what the weather looked like and to get some light into the cabin.  Also, we were able to see out the window.

Hope this helps some.

Stan

14 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

Thanks for your reply.  It is really helpful.  I think I'd rather book the standard stateroom and save the extra money for other things.  Thanks again.

Standard is fine considering the extra savings.  Avoid the 6-8 front-most standard cabins - they are under the reception area and we could hear noise thru ceiling at 6am as staff setting up.

We spent our time on river in public lounges relaxing while seeing views left, right. Happy Travels

Standard cabins are larger than the french balcony. so for space purposes the standard or veranda are larger.  We go standard and like everyone says you go to sleep and shower. I've found the beds very comfortable and yes there is noise going through locks, but that is the fun of it.  One year on another cruise line we were on the main and then on the danube and it was late in the season, we could see ice chunks floating by.  We felt like we were on an ice breaker, now that was noisy but interesting!

I am not booked on this itinerary, but on three others for 2021.  You might want to think about the possibility of being confined to your stateroom because of a covid outbreak.  In that case, I would absolutely want either a french balcony or regular balcony cabin. Fresh air would be most welcome at a time like that.  Just sayin'.......