Vision is having problems

sally r

I have clients leaving on Feb. 26 sailing....I called RCCL, and they are saying they are missing the PV stop because of "berthing" problems. Too many ships in port for that city.

No onboard credit or anything is being offered.

:mad:

We were supposed to be there on the 23rd, but you're right, no other ships in port.

I received an email from Randi from Randi's Happy Horses in Maz and she said that RCI sent her information that for the next 3 weeks, the itinerary would be different, with us not reaching Maz until Thursday instead of Wed. So she's scrambling to accommodate us a day early.

Looks like Sea Day Monday, Sea Day Tuesday, Cabo on Web, Maz on Thurs, Sea Days Friday and Saturday.

Soooooo bummed. I REALLY wanted to zipline in PV, plus do the couple's massage and walk on the Malecon at night! Soooo bummed!

(On the other hand, glad to be on board in any case, right?)

Aaaaagh! Now RCI says the cruise will leave a day late, (but we get to stay on board the night of the 19th), leave on the 20th, go to Cabo on the 22nd, and PV on the 23rd!

$200 credit, I thought she said per person but maybe it's per cabin. (Don't qualify in any case.)

I'm having a heart attack here! :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

$200 shipboard credit per person on the first and second person in a cabin. In other words, maximum $400 per cabin. The credit is $300 for suites.

Dining, entertainment, and all shipboard amenities will be in full operation on Sunday (I specifically asked this). We can begin boarding at 11:30am. Basically, Sunday/Monday will be like a day at sea without moving.

Assuming we have no additional changes (questionable), this seems like a pretty reasonable offer by RCI. We still get two ports including PV which in my opinion is the best plus the credit. The 2/12 cruise only got $100 per person and they missed PV.

I too am happy to hit PV. I'll miss Randi's in Maz, but I've been there before and not in PV.

Wonder if we can get off the ship on Monday and roam around the area? (Long Beach, Catalina Island, etc.?)

Too bad about the credit (I don't think I'll qualify) 'cuz that's more than I usually spend on board in a week!

I just got off the phone with my travel agent who was checking for information about our cruise on March 5th. She said that there are currently no plans for changing the schedule so hopefully we'll be hitting them all for our first cruise. Then again, lord knows if that will still change. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

We will also be missing Randi's. We haven't been there as this is our first cruise, but I have heard great things about her. The credit will be great! I am thinking I might even try out the spa!

See you this weekend!

i am posting from the vision so don't have time to read past posts. what we have heard is that the ship will sail on monday but pax can board on sunday however you will miss matzalan.

ship was dead in the water tuesday night for maybe 90 minutes but seems to be okay now. some vibrations but not anymore. having good weather and ship and crew are quite enjoyable.

did get $300 obc for being in suite.

I am wondering if the berthing problem is in Mazatlan? It looks as though if we were in Mazatlan on Thursday, there was already two ships in port. I have never been there, so I am not sure how many cruise ships that port can handle at one time. I think that is why they switched it again to have us at Puerto Vallarta on Thursday.

Either way...we are so excited to be going and can hardly wait to get on board - even it it is just to stay at port the first night!:)

See you all on Sunday!

They can handle 3 ships... there will be 3 when my friends ports there in March. Although it doesn't show up on CruiseCal because the Holland America ship is chartered. I am sorry you are all going to miss Mazatlan. It is one of my favorites. Enjoy your sailing and your credit though! That is pretty good compensation!

Chris:

I am doing arts and crafts classes, we are making:

A personalized door sign (kind of like scrapbooking)

A beaded seapass holder

A photo mat

Since we have an extra sea day now, I'll probably also be doing a class on how best to care for your photographs.

Will you be on board?

Ellen

Travelgrrl,

Just curious on how the teaching on the ship works. I just got back Sunday from this cruise and didn't make it to the Arts and Crafts class. (however I did have it highlighted everyday but the times didn't work). Does someone different teach every cruise? And if so, how did you get that job? Just curious, if you don't feel like answering that's fine. Sounds like fun!! I am sorry you are going to miss Randi's! It was our favorite! But the zip line is awesome too!

Kalishea

We were on the 5 Feb Mexican cruise with the Vision of the Seas. The problem was first observed while docking in Puerto Vallarta on the morning of 9 Feb. The problem was found to be caused by a short in the wiring harness leading to the left propulsion motor that is integral to that drive shaft. The ships staff investigated the cause of problem, and assessed the possibility of repairs within a couple of hours, and immediately notified the passengers and the home officeof the anticipated impact. The problem could not be repaired without spare parts, and qualified repair personnel. The parts and personnel were arranged for, and were to meet the ship upon it's return to San Pedro. Repairs could not be made in the short turn around at San Pedro, so the Captain and home office made immediate efforts to ameliorate the problems, and minimize the impact on the 5 Feb and 12 Feb cruises.

The Captain estimated the single engine speed to be about 16 Knots vs the usual cruising speed of 21 knots on this leg of the voyage. Moving up our departure time to 5:00pm, from the scheduled 10:00pm, would allow us to dock in San Pedro at about 11:00am or about 4 hours late. This information was immediately acted upon by both the ships company and the home office. The Captain notified all passengers and crew, with the exception of some parties that had already departed the ship, and scheduled a briefing in the theater the next morning, with a power point presentation to include his navigation and engineering officers.

All late afternoon excursions were canceled, and refunds were promptly recorded. All pax with early RCI booked flights leaving LAX were rescheduled on flights compatible with our delayed arrival time. All pax were offered free ship to shore phone calls to change their arrival arrangements and notify family. The internet was made available to everyone aboard, at no cost, for the remainder of the voyage. Pax with their own flight arrangements were given written directions for submitting requests for reimbursement of any airline rebooking fees, hotel and taxi costs.

Of the 2,000 pax aboard some 19 (who had left the ship before the problem was identified) did not make it back by the revised 5:00pm departure. The Captain was reluctant to leave anyone behind, so he decided to give the missing pax some time to return. All the while the Capt had the RCI port agent trying to locate the missing pax, was occasionally sounding the ships horn, and making preparations for taking care of any pax that would have to be left behind. By 7:00pm we were short just 9 pax, and the Captain had their bags packed and cabin cleared, while making reservations at a 5 star hotel and airline reservations to LAx. In addition he had two spanish speaking crew members assigned to accompany those left behind. Just as we were removing the docking lines, at 8:00pm, first one taxi and then another pulled up to the gate, and our missing pax hurried aboard to the applause of the passengers on deck to watch the sail away.

We recieved a detailed letter from the Captain that night, explaining all the revised arrangements in detail. At the briefing the following morning very detailed information about all aspects of the situation were presented by the responsible officers. The Captain and his staff officers spent some 45 minutes answering questions, to the satisfaction of all present. A few individual circumstances were taken care of immediately after the presentation. At the conclusion of the meeting the passengers and crew present gave the Captain a standing ovation, recognizing his concern for all hands, his timely and complete notifications of what and why he was taking certain actions and the decisive actions taken. The Captain takes justifiable pride in the Vision of the Seas being classified as no. 1 in customer satisfaction. The cheerful and competant service staff didn't disappoint, and made this a great voyage. No one,to my knowledge, was unhappy with our cruise and we all were very appreciative of the competance of all concerned.

Petert

Thanks for that Petert! I have been reviewing this and other threads on this topic all week as we are cruising on her in 2 weeks and want to keep apprised of the situation. I too am giving the Captain, crew and staff a standing ovation.:D I have heard that the Captain on this ship is just an incredible Captain and person. I hope I get the chance to meet him.

Laura

Archived