Curfew for teens

tef43

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat41:

Funny I noticed the same thing. Whenever tef posts something, Liv is sure to come along with an "atta boy" real quick. No matter what the topic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'll just take that with a grain of salt. While we don't "know" each other except for this board I think there are several issues in which we do agree on. Proper attire, curfew and kiddies in the pools/hot tubs, adult only cruises just to name a few. As far as "no matter what the topic"....Not - but his posts are not only informative but almost always humorous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Wow Liv, I am sure glad that I will be 25 on our Valor Vampire cruise next year

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

.....Heather......icon_biggrin.gif

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

We also have a great teen, he's graduating from high school and we are taking him on the Elation 5/23. Don't punish the good kids along with the noisy ones. We trust him totally.

Why don't you send him to Cancun with his friends instead of on a cruise with you?

icon_rolleyes.gifLet's see, I am the parent , Why sould the cruise lines have to. We set that before we ever leave the dock

Bob

When you go in the water

Take only Pictures and Leave only Bubbles

Ecstacy 2000

Paradise 2001

Paradise 2002

Glory 2003

9/18/04 Western Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

10/23/2004 Triumph Sailing Singles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;10;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

They shouldn't have to. Unfortunately it's the few hellions that ruin it for the rest of them.

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

DiveCruiser,

I probably can assume since you are the type of parent who assigns a curfew to your kids, that your kids are NOT the kind of kids that actually need one.

It's the parents who let their kids do what they please that always are the problem.

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm taking my two good teens and traveling with another family with 2 good teens as well. They deserve to be out and about until the curfew I impose brings them back to their cabin.

Bad teens should be dismembered icon_wink.gif

I mean, thrown off the ship...along with their parents.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have raised three girls thru their teens. One thing I've learned, no matter how good or bad, the parent always know THIER teens are good. I have never seen a parent of the bad teens acknowledge their teen is a bad one.

That said when parents aren't around we really don't know how our teens behave. We just try to raise them the best we can and hope for the best. We were on one cruise with two teens and the majority of the young people acted like young people, no major problems. We've been on one other cruise where the teens were so bad that they made the cruise very unpleasent for the rest. I had a teen on this trip and she was even upset by the behavior and would have welcomed an enforced curfew.

Melody

Paradise, 9-5-04

Holiday, 4-10-04

Inspiration, 11-30-03

Inspiration, 1-26-03

Victory,3-31-02

Sensation, 11-28-98

Holiday, 3-19-94

being a father of 5, this is very intresting. Like most parents, i think my kids know right from wrong. I doubt that they would want to stay out that late on the ships (we will find out next year when i bring the whole bunch on the valor, 17 apr 05). That being said, have any of you ever told the troublesom kids to knock it off (remember the anology, a village rases a child). I do and recieve about a 50% positive responce, the kids that do not respond well, normally stay away. if that does not work, then esclation is in order.....

just my thoughts

-tom

Pineview...I understand what you said but I have to disagree.

If you have constant comments from school teachers, neighbors and your child's friend's parents telling you that your child is terrific...well then, chances are your kid is good.

I have always been proud of my children's manners, their conscientious and compassionate nature and their morals. When my kids see 'bad' teens/pre teens, they roll their eyes right along with me.

They actually have told me on many occasions that they are thankful that their father and I were 'strict' with them and they now understand why...when they see out of control behavior from other kids it is very obvious to them as well as other adults.

I know they are not perfect little Angels, but I can take them anywhere and know in my heart that they will never give me a reason to feel embarrassed at their behavior. They always make me proud.

I workd da**ed hard to manage to pull off having kids that are that good and I don't mind tooting my own horn about them. It isn't easy raising a good kid, but I managed it somehow.

And yes...I am sure that they are good.

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>.....Heather......icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps I should see about a birthday drink for my 26th on the cruise on 11/4?? icon_biggrin.gif

Or at least to celebrate me not having to have a curfew icon_wink.gif

hehehehehehehe

~~Heather~~

Bookin' travel daily for NASA... but I would rather be bookin' travel for myself!

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

I posed this question not long ago on the Princess board. I would really like to agree with Chris and say that such rules are not necessary for the majority of teens. Until recently, I would have agreed. After a spring-break cruise, though, my limit of tolerance was exceeded. It wasn't one specific event, but a series of incidents that finally caused me to question the policies that allow teens access to most areas of the ship at any hour without their parents' supervision.

I can also say that on that particular cruise we met some of the nicest and most polite teens you would ever want to meet, and some of the rudest. Sadly, the girls were as bad, and in some cases worse, than the boys. Without going into details, we were subject to or witnessed 1) sexually aggressive behavior 2) violent behavior 3) drunkenness and 4) illegal drug use. After all of this, my sensibilities have changed and I am much more sensitive to the bad behavior.

Teens are old enough to know the difference between right and wrong, and with their freedom, limited though it might be, comes responsibility for their own actions. Like some adults, teens like to push the limits of what is tolerable, and sometimes get out of line. When such behavior becomes commonplace, action must be taken. A policy such as RCCL's allows the ship's staff some discretion while permitting action to be taken when necessary.

Perhaps putting the onus on teens is the wrong idea, though. Would it make more sense to put the responsiblity for their childrens' behavior where it belongs, with the parents? It is understood that anyone who poses a danger to themselves, other passengers, or crew members can be disembarked at the Captain's discretion. Do we need to have a more binding contract with parents, along the lines of the now-defunct tobacco policy on the Paradise? Those parents who have perfect children would have nothing to worry about, while those who might have questions about what their kids are up to would have a little more incentive to be parents.

Just completed:

Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04

Golden Princess Apr 10/04

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

I'm only on this board once in a while, but happened to see this topic, and would like to add my 2 cents worth. Our daughters never gave us any trouble at school or otherwise, and now we'll be taking our 19 yr old (college student) and 15 yr old (h.s. student) grandsons on a cruise this summer. They aren't abnormal, both have steady girlfriends and part time jobs, but they don't drink and they spend free time either enjoying our pool or at home renting movies with their friends. They donate time to the SturgeWebber foundation (kids with deformaties/birth defects) and help their father at the Lutheran church running a weight lifting program for kids without fathers, etc. They are often left out and not invited to parties because they don't drink, but they are just as happy not being invited because although they are friends with almost everyone, they don't feel that they miss out. We grandparents will see that they are not out all night long on the cruise, because we care about them. They know that, and they know that we love them, that's why we worry. How sad that some teens run wild, but then look at how many 3 year olds run wild with no dicipline at all. Have you tried to enjoy a dinner in a restaurant lately where young parents ignore the crazed rantings and screaming of an out of control toddler? They usually turn into a crazed out of control teen.

"Nothing should be more highly prized than the value of each day".... celebrating cruise #30 soon

I can see where a spring break cruise would be an issue. Teens are definitely worse when there are LOTS of them together...it's that mob mentality thing. (in all fairness, I have seen grown men act like idiots when in groups while drinking as well, unfortunately)

If the cruise lines established rules against certain behaviors and enforced them by punishing kids that broke those rules, I'd be all for that. I just can't see having a curfew to cover all teens when there are some...maybe not a lot, but some, that really are truly well behaved.

I guess because I was basically a good kid, and there were times when for instance the whole class was punished for something that one or two students did, that always pissed me off in a big way...so I never agree to 'blanket' rules or punishments for everyone.

I would be all for taking responsibility for my child if she was disembarked because of bad behavior. I would sign a contract like the one you suggested...although we know something like that would never fly, unfortunately. Parents should be held accountable for their kids. I fully agree with that....but I'd wager that the kids on the ship for spring break were probably over the age of 21 anyway, correct? How long is a parent responsible?

If more parents were responsible when kids are younger, there would be less bad behavior.

Out of control little kids are more likely to turn into bad teens. When you are on the ship and see the 6 through 12 year old kids getting the best of their parents, they are the future teens you'll need to worry about.

I believe in Miracles

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Out of control little kids are more likely to turn into bad teens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THAT I can attest to.

Those same kids that were little brats in elementary school and allowed to "express themselves" to the detriment of all those around them in public places are the ones in trouble in High School and the ones that have a questionable future in life.

NOW how important was it for me to insist on proper behavior from our kids when they were little?

I think it made all the difference in the world.

I rest my case

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by halos:

but I'd wager that the kids on the ship for spring break were probably over the age of 21 anyway, correct? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had our fair share of those, too. In a happy (depending on your point of view) turn of events, some of those WERE disembarked. Sometimes the system works as it should.

I hated it, too, when I had to accept a group punishment because someone else got in trouble. What I can't accept is that a common situation, and the subject of much discussion on the various boards, continues to get worse. Out of venting and discussion might come some good ideas that will allow all of us to enjoy our cruise vacations.

Just completed:

Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04

Golden Princess Apr 10/04

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

I am taking my 3 teens with us on our first cruise. I have 3 great boys and I expect them to be on their best behavior. They have never given me a problem on any vacation. I try to give them some freedom but not too much. My 13 year old will have to been watched more carefully because he is still young. I think I should be able to decide what time their curfew should be.

Inspiration - August 2004

I am the mother of three good boys and I don't think I'd take it personally (for my kids) if the cruise line enforced a curfew. What responsible parent lets their kids wander around out and about at midnight or later anyway? Kids belong at home (or in this case their cabin)once it gets to be late unless they are accompanied by their parents. They are children (teens are still children) and there is really no reason they NEED to be out that late anyway so I guess this whole issue with cruise lines potentially setting curfews doesn't rattle me at all. No big deal.

Join Us on the Sensational Cruise From The Bayou

bananadance.gifbananadance.gifbananadance.gifbananadance.gifbananadance.gifbananadance.gifbananadance.gifsaintsinners.gif

Imagination 12/96, Destiny 12/98, Fantasy 9/01, Fantasy 12/01, Victory 12/02, Sensation 10/04, Triumph 1/15/05

Sensational Group Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till We Triumph!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;01;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Not sure about there being a curfew. I just think that parents need to be parents and the cruise line should hold them responsible for their kids.

I read last month where the captain on RCI's Mariner of the Seas put two familes off at their first stop in Nassau due to breaking the rules set by the cruise line. He placed another family off at the second stop. This is what the cruise lines need to do in order to get some parents attention and make them realize that they may be on a vacation but they are not on vacation from being a parent. Carnival needs to adopt a similar policy.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I think some of the parents need the curfew more than the kids! I have seen some parents acting alot worse than any of the kids I have seen on a ship!

We didn't give our daughter a curfew on our last cruise with our kids, but we did go and check up on her discreetly, of course, and the worse thing we saw were the kids were all sitting and eating pizza and laughing at 1:30am! If that is too rowdy, were in trouble.

If the parents would just check on their kids once in awhile on the cruise as to where they are and what they are doing, no curfew would be needed.

I agree about kicking the families off if they are really that bad! Maybe this will be the wakeup call they need and realize their little angels are not as perfect as they thought!

Sensation 9/98 10th anniv.

Big Red Boat 5/99

Ecstasy 10/00

Destiny 9/01 The week of 911

Victory 10/01

Imagination 12/20/01

Imagination 2/4/02

Zuiderdam 9/6/03 - 15th anniv.

Carnival Legend 11/27/04

Happiness is being on a cruise

with the one you love!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Legend Here We Come 11/27

gator,

I think it's great that RCI forced a couple families off the ship.

It's amazing that behavior has gotten so bad that this needs to be done...but I'm all for it.

What happened to parenting? Something has gone wrong somewhere.

I believe in Miracles

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by halos:

What happened to parenting? Something has gone wrong somewhere.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a word....Society.

Heather - I think we could overlook your cerfew on 11/4. Now what about my Bday drink??

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What happened to parenting? Something has gone wrong somewhere <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am the mother of three good boys and I don't think I'd take it personally (for my kids) if the cruise line enforced a curfew. What responsible parent lets their kids wander around out and about at midnight or later anyway? Kids belong at home (or in this case their cabin)once it gets to be late unless they are accompanied by their parents. They are children (teens are still children) and there is really no reason they NEED to be out that late anyway so I guess this whole issue with cruise lines potentially setting curfews doesn't rattle me at all. No big deal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is just how I feel. It is not a group punishment, just good parenting.

Melody

Paradise, 9-5-04

Holiday, 4-10-04

Inspiration, 11-30-03

Inspiration, 1-26-03

Victory,3-31-02

Sensation, 11-28-98

Holiday, 3-19-94

If my teens were 13 and 14, I might feel that way...but we are traveling with two 19 year olds and two 16 year olds. If they want to go and have pizza at 2am, I think they should be allowed without a curfew.

But like I said, if either of my two girls were disruptive and behaving badly icon_mad.gif, I'd toss them off the ship myself icon_eek.gif and I'd be tempted to do it before we arrived at port.

More than likely the two 16 year olds will be asleep by midnight...but since the two 19 year olds are now in college and are living with different 'internal body clocks' than the rest of civilization, they may be up unil a lot later. I haven't decided what curfew I will be issuing yet. Guess I need to discuss this with my DH.

I believe in Miracles

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

Archived