Just updated ( again ) full detail of QM2/QM meetings in L.A.

highcbob

Here is a much more detailed celebration schedule for the two

'Queens' meeting in L.A. - Seems like the QM2 returning to Long

Beach on the 23rd for a couple of hours at noon is not going to

happen, but who knows. I somehow don't think they even know

themselves but this agenda looks fairly intense.

http://www.cunard.com/AboutCunard/NewsReleases.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=5540&Active=News

Here is a much more detailed celebration schedule for the two

'Queens' meeting in L.A. - Seems like the QM2 returning to Long

Beach on the 23rd for a couple of hours at noon is not going to

happen, but who knows. I somehow don't think they even know

themselves but this agenda looks fairly intense.

http://www.cunard.com/AboutCunard/NewsReleases.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=5540&Active=News

This press release relates only to events taking place in the Port of Los Angeles, in San Pedro.

A separate press release relates to the Long Beach rendevous.

It seems that the Port of Los Angeles, in their Cunard press release, is not promoting events taking place in the Port of Long Beach, and visa-versa.

I'm sure it's just a matter of two separate ports, two separate events, two separate press releases...

OK, I got a little confused here too. Am I correct that she will meet Queen Mary the next day at noon? And does anyone know if there will be some kind of web cam to see this historic meeting? Hope there will be some fellow CCers out there with cameras to post photos for all us unlucky types who live on the other coast. I tried to con my son in Venice to "run down" and do this.....his response..."Mom, do you have any idea what the traffic is like here?" And his point would be....???? Guess I didn't raise a liner kid with any sense of nostalgia.That's probably good,since I have more than enough for both of us I guess. So that idea is out.... So, how might we all see any of this event, anyone know? Thanks, Penny

OK, I got a little confused here too. Am I correct that she will meet Queen Mary the next day at noon? And does anyone know if there will be some kind of web cam to see this historic meeting? Hope there will be some fellow CCers out there with cameras to post photos for all us unlucky types who live on the other coast. I tried to con my son in Venice to "run down" and do this.....his response..."Mom, do you have any idea what the traffic is like here?" And his point would be....???? Guess I didn't raise a liner kid with any sense of nostalgia.That's probably good,since I have more than enough for both of us I guess. So that idea is out.... So, how might we all see any of this event, anyone know? Thanks, Penny

The QM2 is scheduled to enter Long Beach Harbor at noon on Thu. 23 Feb.

There is a webcam that is usually pointed at the Queen Mary.

http://www.longbeach.gov/about/NBC_webcam.asp

Right now there is nothing on the webcams.

This webcam is used for the local NBC affiliates weather reports, but it almost always is pointed at the Queen Mary. No doubt it will also include QM2 on the day.

Here is another

http://www.g-site.com/LBOL/campoplinkx2.htm

As of now, nothing is on either cams, which is unusual.

As for traffic, I know just what your son is saying! Quite often, for me, the thought of getting on the freeway and sitting in traffic is enough to keep me at home. But, there are some things that are worth the trouble...

Thanks so much for these links. I'll be trying them all out that day for sure. I appreciate your quick responses. I'm sure we're all eager to experience this albeit vicariously!!

Kyle..."But, there are some things that are worth the trouble..." I'd agree but my son dipped in the wrong end of the gene pool for nostalgia I fear. Then again, I had the good fortune of several crossings as a child...he was sadly deprived of that wonderful experience, thus his lack of empathy for my request!

Thanks again both of you! Penny

Like some of you, I too went off half-cocked and flew into a rage about the alteration/cancelation of another event. But as was pointed out, ya gotta read the fine print. It appears that there will be two celebrations--one in San Pedro, the other in Long Beach. For those of us who are booked on the Hawaii cruise, it's a win-win situation, as we get to view one showing and participate in the other.

As someone who lives in the neighboring town and who is familiar with the workings of the these two ports, let me just say that there is an intense rivalry between Long Beach and Los Angeles (San Pedro), which abut each other. No surprise that if one has something the other doesn't, noses get out of joint. LA is trying desperately to upgrade San Pedro, sprucing up the area along the docks. They have a vintage trolley that shuttles between the loading area and Ports of Call (I think it's still called that), making it more user friendly (Hey, it's the docks!).

One good thing: we found out that QM2 will be sailing in earlier than we expected (4:30 a.m.). We were going to drive out to meet her at 5:30, so we would have missed her. FYI, we did this for the arrival of Diamond Princess two years ago and the sight of a great white cruise ship steaming (dieseling?) through the fog is really something extraordinary.

Final comment (Jeez, does this guy ever shut up?): whoever said that the rendezvous was changed to noon because of the possibility of the possibility of fog had their facts straight. We can see the QM from our town--provided it's not foggy as it was this saturday morning. Although it usually burns off by noon, ya never know...

I am totally confused. I have press credentials from the local paper-my neighbor is the owner and wants this covered. How nice of her!!!

The paperwork Long Beach Visitor's Bureau sent specifically stated the 23rd, meet and greet approx noon, on top of the Hyatt. We were supposed to tour the ship, have lunch, go for a helicopter ride (somebody rented a helicopter for photographs of the 2 Queens), and be able to do standups (video press), photo sessions, etc. Now, it appears there are TWO media events-one in LA and one in Long Beach, on three different days. And how am I going to get on the ship if the event on the 23 is a "drive by"?

I have already changed my reservations at the QM hotel from the 21 to the 22nd. Do you think the newspaper owner has to contact Cunard for more press credentials for the other events?

I was planning a quick hop to LA, have a good day gawking, write a little article, then go to my LA office for some work. This scenario may be shot to crap. And I still have to do my regular job in LA. Anyone really sure what's going on? Cunard has put out TOOOOO many conflicting press releases for this event.

Greatam,

As stated previously, there are two distinct media events scheduled for the QM2. The events slated for Feb 22 and 25 are the Port of Los Angeles' attempt at one-upping Long Beach by staging a happening of its own. The schedule appears on the Cunard website.

The event slated for Feb 23--the so-called Meeting of the Queens--takes place in Long Beach Harbor at noon. This is what you referered to (I think) as the drive-by (actually, sail-by). It's a go, witness the full-page ad in Sunday's Long Beach Press Telegram. Also, my neighbor's son, who is with the Long Beach Marine Dept, offered to get his mom a parking pass for downtown marina lot, so it seems the Long Beach event is a go.

I don't know which ship you expected to be aboard, but if it's QM1, that's still happening, as one of the free viewing locations mentioned in the newspaper ad is the Queen Mary. I assume your credential is good there too.

Personally, I'd go for the helicopter flight over the bay. Great viewing, although I wouldn't say no to the roof of the Hyatt.

On a personal note, which paper are you representing? My wife retired after 34 years at the P-T.

I am totally confused. I have press credentials from the local paper-my neighbor is the owner and wants this covered. How nice of her!!!

The paperwork Long Beach Visitor's Bureau sent specifically stated the 23rd, meet and greet approx noon, on top of the Hyatt. We were supposed to tour the ship, have lunch, go for a helicopter ride (somebody rented a helicopter for photographs of the 2 Queens), and be able to do standups (video press), photo sessions, etc. Now, it appears there are TWO media events-one in LA and one in Long Beach, on three different days. And how am I going to get on the ship if the event on the 23 is a "drive by"?

I have already changed my reservations at the QM hotel from the 21 to the 22nd. Do you think the newspaper owner has to contact Cunard for more press credentials for the other events?

Cunard has put out TOOOOO many conflicting press releases for this event.

Well, I don't think the press releases conflict. There's one for the Long Beach rendevous, and there's one for events in the port of Los Angeles, where QM2 berths, which include the official press events.

The official media events while QM2 is berthed are outlined here:

As credentialled media, this is the info you want. Contact whomever you need to, as mentioned in the release, for official clearance to these events.

As hungry for publicity as Cunard is, it shouldn't be a problem for members of the press to receive clearance.

Your plans for the Thursday Long Beach rendevous sound great. A helicopter flyover would be the next best thing to being on QM2. You were never going to get on QM2 in Long Beach.

As QM2 was never planned to berth in Long Beach, (the rendevous was always a "drive-by", now the time and date have changed, that's all) it seems any press coverage of this from onboard QM2 would be from members of the press ticketed for the cruise itself.

So, you get to do all this and get paid? Have fun, and come back here to tell all about your experiences!

Your plans for the Thursday Long Beach rendevous sound great. A helicopter flyover would be the next best thing to being on QM2. You were never going to get on QM2 in Long Beach.

As QM2 was never planned to berth in Long Beach, (the rendevous was always a "drive-by", now the time and date have changed, that's all) it seems any press coverage of this from onboard QM2 would be from members of the press ticketed for the cruise itself.

So, you get to do all this and get paid? Have fun, and come back here to tell all about your experiences!

No, I get no pay. The newspaper is giving me a small per diem to cover some expenses. But the owner knew I was going anyway (arranged my business trip to coincide with the arrival), so asked if I would like full credentials, so I can actually see stuff. The only catch is I have to write an article and I am the world's worst writer. Too boring, too long, always too much.

Yes, the original paperwork from Long Beach states something similar to what the newest Cunard pr piece states-boat ride to the ship, then board for tour and lunch, then cruise around in the boat for 5:00PM whistle blowing. That was when the ship was going to be hanging around LA and Long Beach all day-the two drive by's.

The helicopter will be really neat, but since it is a photo op, wonder if they'll even let me on with my cheapo Fuji point and shoot. Oh, well, this should be really a hoot. Just getting to be on the top of the Hyatt, with that great view, will probably be worth it.

OK - I am actually booked on the QM2 for the West Coast Break - I am so confused - not being from the West Coast, I have no idea which port is what - I was told QM2 is leaving from San Pedro - so could use a little help from the West Coast people - is that LA or Long Beach? How far are the 2 ports apart from each other? Somehow I feel like I'm just going to be cruising around off the coast of California for 3 days - but that is OK - I just want to be on-board!

OK - I am actually booked on the QM2 for the West Coast Break - I am so confused - not being from the West Coast, I have no idea which port is what - I was told QM2 is leaving from San Pedro - so could use a little help from the West Coast people - is that LA or Long Beach? How far are the 2 ports apart from each other? Somehow I feel like I'm just going to be cruising around off the coast of California for 3 days - but that is OK - I just want to be on-board!

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/about.htm

The port of Los Angeles is in San Pedro, which is about 6 miles from Long Beach, where the original Queen Mary is at. http://www.polb.com/default.asp

And, yeah, we sort of will be cruising around off the coast of California for 3 days. Ensenada is only about 200 miles south of Los Angeles, in Baja California Mexico.

http://www.experiencela.com/images/GA_Portarea.gif

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/556/11450map_la_oc1.jpg

http://www.*****.com/images/ports/maps/132.gif

Gardenbunny,

The San Pedro cruise terminal is a part of the Port of Los Angeles which is the major port on the west coast. The Long Beach harbor is very close to it (about 5 miles away) but is a separate entity (it's where the QM1 is parked and it's also the location of the new Carnival cruise terminal which is NOT where the QM2 will be pulling in as the water isn't deep enough for her there)

Since San Pedro is the only port that will hold her, They're taking her there. But, at noon on the 23rd, she'll be sailing by Long Beach harbor where the two Queens will greet each other. If you mapquest the port of Los Angeles,you can see how big it is and how far away from the Queen Mary it is.

Thanks for all the links and maps - I think I've got it - Appears to be multi-celebrations - 1 at San Pedro (LA Port) and 1 on the sail-by on the 23rd at Long Beach - Then again something else when it leaves for Hawaii on the 25th - which I will be on an airplane back to Atlanta! I did get my official emergency notification from Cunard in the mail Monday about the itinerary changes - and they changed to 1 formal and 2 casual nights. I am just ready to be there. Reading all the other threads on trip cancellations, what a bad year this has started off to be for Cunard - 2004 had its issues getting the new ship up and running to standards, appears things evened out in 2005 - now this. Having only cruised HAL to Alaska in 1999, but only on board for 3 days and took the rest of the trip on land from Skagway, and this is only my 3rd time w/ Cunard (I'm a cruising rookie - I travel a lot but mostly by air and tour package), is it safe to say that all cruise lines have these issues with ports and schedule changes - or is Cunard just having bad luck?

Thanks for all the links and maps - I think I've got it - Appears to be multi-celebrations - 1 at San Pedro (LA Port) and 1 on the sail-by on the 23rd at Long Beach - Then again something else when it leaves for Hawaii on the 25th - which I will be on an airplane back to Atlanta! I did get my official emergency notification from Cunard in the mail Monday about the itinerary changes - and they changed to 1 formal and 2 casual nights. I am just ready to be there. Reading all the other threads on trip cancellations, what a bad year this has started off to be for Cunard - 2004 had its issues getting the new ship up and running to standards, appears things evened out in 2005 - now this. Having only cruised HAL to Alaska in 1999, but only on board for 3 days and took the rest of the trip on land from Skagway, and this is only my 3rd time w/ Cunard (I'm a cruising rookie - I travel a lot but mostly by air and tour package), is it safe to say that all cruise lines have these issues with ports and schedule changes - or is Cunard just having bad luck?

Hi gardenbunny! you say they changed it to "1 formal and 2 casual"

evenings - may I enquire as what it was before the change?

thanks and have a ball onboard!

Hi gardenbunny! you say they changed it to "1 formal and 2 casual"

evenings - may I enquire as what it was before the change?

thanks and have a ball onboard!

The info we were mailed a few weeks ago listed 2 formal nights. My travel agent called last week and told me it was in error, only 1 formal night will take place.

Someone here posted a link to all sorts of marvelous information on the original QM and deck plans through various times in her varied life.

From that. I linked to a Coast Guard Stories page on the QM radio operator's final transmission. (After berthing her at Long Beach, the City disabled her radios, and sold some, returned some to the manufacturers, and changed from direct current to alternating (household) current, disabling all electrical systems and devices which ran on DC.

It literally brought tears to my eyes (having had some experience in radio and morse code and a wee bit of experience now with Cunard and the history of the queens) As you read, non-radio operators will go "Huh?" Keep reading. All of the jargon is explained. Remember. The main communications method at the time was by wireless CW -Continuous wave using Morse Code. There were all sorts of shortcuts for tired fingers (and brains translating the code)

Before I give the final transmission as she was shutting down her radios for the last time,

Here is the transmission sailing down the Hudson for the last time (I wonder if they did something like this for the QM2 qnd QE3's last trip down the Hudson recently): from: http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/wireless.html

GBTT was QM's call sign,taken over after this by QE2

TO MANAGER AND STAFF WSC TUCKERTONRADIO // AS WE TAKE OUR LEAVE OF NEWYORK AND REGRETFULLY STEAM DOWN THE HUDSON FOR THE LAST TIME WE SEND YOU ALL OUR THANKS AND APPRECIATION FOR THE COOPERATION EXTENDED TO US OVER THE YEARS BEST WISHES AND OUR KINDEST REGARDS // RADIO STAFF GBTT+

WSC replies

GBTT DE WSC SVC R R AND MANY TKS OM

(Service Roger Roger and many thanks Old Man)

RR NW SHOOT K

(Roger Roger - Shoot (=send all your messages) K (=invitation to transmit))

WSC replies:

R R THIS SEEMS SAD MOM -

Such an understatement!

And her final transmission below: from: http://www.jacksjoint.com/queen.htm

ONE LAST MESSAGE FROM A QUEEN

By John R Smith

line1.gif

A last goodbye from a lovely lady................

Late one summer evening while on the Distress watch at the ubiquitous CG Radio Station Kodiak (Alaska) (NOJ), a loud modulated carrier wave began resonating through the headphones on 500 kcs. I have no idea the transmitter wattage, but the originator sounded as if he were sitting in St. Paul Harbor, in Kodiak. After initial tuning, the following message was sent out over the airwaves for all the West Coast to hear:

CQ DE GBSS BT AMVER NOW QTP LONG BEACH — FOREVER BT (*)73*S (**)VA**

To the poor, unwashed masses, this group of disjointed tones was merely another collection of dots and dashes in that foreign language of Morse Code. To the more informed, this brief message sent to "All Ships and Stations" (CQ) heralded the end of one of the most glamorous eras in history, for it represented the final docking message from RMS Queen Mary, and the virtual end of trans-oceanic passenger liner service.

To those of us fascinated—no, obsessed would be a better word—with those gigantic, beautiful, floating palaces, it was a rather sad message. I can only imagine how the Radio Officer felt. The only problem was, he wasn't able to shut his transmitter down for more than two hours following that all-stations AMVER (Automated Merchant Vessel Report). I was amazed by the sheer number of "73s", "Good Luck, OM and other well-wishes from vessels of all nationalities. International Call signs beginning with "G", "D", "U", "J", "6" and many others, as well as the expected American "K", "W", and yes, even "N". Formal radio procedure seemed to take a breather for this monumental occasion. Only the Silent Periods were legally observed.

Later, Queen Mary’s Radio Officer made a final, emotional sign off by keying his transmitter, and hitting the power switch, allowing that beautiful, broad signal to fade off into oblivion.

Another glamorous, romantic era had fallen victim to progress.

(*) Best Regards

(**) End of ALL transmissions.

Karie,

who kept choking up reading this to Marc. And listening to the actual CW transmission from QM leaving New York.

Archived