Summit Hawaii Review

jdymiller

from the 1-29 sailing. We did have a little wait getting on the ship in SP, but the day was sunny and we enjoyed talking to the folks in line with us. Once the line moved (about 25-30 minutes) we were ushered into the terminal and on board the ship in another 20 minutes.

And....we DID see the lava flow, at the time that the captain said we would, approximately 10:15 pm.

Except for an hour wait for the tender in Maui, we did not have a major issue with anything else....it was a great cruise. (this was our 11th X cruise).

OP, I would encourage you to write Celebrity, not with the intent of compensation, but to help them improve their product. Your experiences and concerns will likely be passed along to the right people. It's worth a try. Good companies want feedback. Hope you filled out the on board survey. Those on board surveys are very important to the staff, especially the CD.

Write to:

Dan Hanrahan, President

Celebrity Cruise Lines

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

When we did the Hawaii cruise in October 2002 we sailed by the lava flow twice so that both sides of the ship had a viewing opportunity. We had no intention of visiting Volcanoes National Park but that "drive by" peaked our interest and we drove there the next day. It was fantastic and we got to walk up very close to the lava flow. It's a shame the OP didn't think of doing this since it was to be a major highlight of the trip. Nothing worse than coming home saying "I wish I had".

We were also on the 1/15 cruise and didn't even hear the announcement in our cabin. We found out when we went down to the theatre as planned and my cousins informed us of the wait. Since we needed to be off early for a 12:15 flight, we were afraid to get out of line for breakfast. People were very hostile towards the crew staff but their hands were tied. Frankly, more announcements would have been welcome as would have being allowed in the theater to sit down in order of arrival.

They did have coffee, juice and sweet rolls in there when they finally let us in 45 min later. Once the customs people came it was very quick. But, while we waited in the lounge for our number to be called, the line stretched from the front of the ship all the way to the back.

Yes, we missed the lava flow also but we had taken the helicopter tour and had already seen it in broad daylight. But did this ruin my cruise? No, not at all. We had a great time and never felt crowded where ever we were. The food was the same, no better or worse than our previous cruises.

I have posted a review of this cruise and it should be showing up soon.

You should find yourself fortunate to have gotten to Hawaii. Last year we were booked on the Summit for Hawaii and the cruise was cancelled 4 days prior to sailing due to propulsion problems. Never have made it there. Though this summer we are going to the greek Islands and Istanbul on Galaxy.

Danklcsw:)

Sure, there is a technical stop in Ensanada, but if no one leaves the ship, why should we have to go through the immigration and customs hassle at all? Frankly, you have to wonder why we even have a law that says the ship must stop in a foreign port. I don't see what we gain by that as a country.

Archived