Have you had any missing items while you were on excursion?

lilmsonry

I was just wondering if you do an excursion and all of your party does it, i.e. snorkeling, dive, etc., have you ever had any trouble with somebody getting in your bag for money, camera, etc. while left on boat? What do you do with your stuff? I want to take my camera into port, obviously can't take it with me to snorkle. What would you do or did?

Thanks so much, 3 weeks to go!!:D

My family booked a tour with Phil Lafayette in Jamaica last August. We did Dunn's Falls and River Tubing. On the river tubing a man in our group lost his prescription glasses in the river. The guys who took our group down the river said they would go back with snorkles and try to find the glasses later- some chance!! we all thought. Any way, later that afternoon, Phil's phone rang, and it was the guys from the river. They had found the glasses!! Phil dropped us at the shops then went back to collect the specs, and returned them to their delighted owner. Amazing, or what!!

I would buy a disposable, single use underwater camera. My husband has swim trunks with a plastic lined pocket for cash, cards and such. Our beach bag, if we take one, will usually just have water, sunscreen and towels from the ship. Leave your valuables onboard, in the safe if possible.

If time permits, you can return to the ship to retrieve the nice camera after snorkeling, but I'd not take it off the ship. Unless, of course, you have someone with you to watch it at all times.

Have a great cruise!

I always take a disposable camera if I am going to leave things on a beach when snorkeling. You can always get a waterproof camera bag so you can take the camera with you. You can get one from http://www.aquapak.com and then go to product information.

On snorkeling excursions from a boat, I have sometimes taken my good camera and left it in the bottom of my bag. I think that most people on an excursion are too busy having fun to take my camera, and its absence would be noticed very quickly.

Have a great cruise!

Laura and Ken, we put ours in our waterwallet. We got ours at the local dive shop, but the do sell them on the ships, and also here on CC. They are wonderful. When snorkeling, I loop it through the strap of my swimsuit and then tuck it inside the top. I think they are a "must have" item.

Michelle

What do people do with their SetSail pass and things like that?

A Set Sail pass is of little use to a thief so I wouldn't worry too much about it, although obviously you'll try to make sure it's secure. I wouldn't leave a camera, wallet or anything like that otside my control. I have been on excursions where they have told us they would watch our stuff and have noticed that either my things have moved or the zipper on my bag is in a different position that when I left it. It's a fact of life and I see my role as making sure that there is nothing to take should someone open my bag.

When my family did the St John's island tour we stopped off at one of the beaches for about 10 minutes. We left our beach bags on the taxi and my dad's bag with his snorkel equipment was stolen. His was closest to the rear and easier to get to. My bag had more valuables in it so I'm glad they didn't nose around too much. We all learned a strong lesson from that experience. My poor father couldn't snorkel for the rest of the trip because his goggles were prescription goggles and he can't use regular ones.

We also went on Phil LaFayette's tour. Had heard great things on the board about how safe things are in his van. My BF is a skeptic though and carried our money and set sail passes in the cruise critic safe around his neck. A bunch of us collided on the river tubing and we all went under. The waterproof safe broke away and floated down stream. Luckily my grandson saw it and was able to save it. Our glasses were lost and no amount of diving saved them. I think I would take my chances with the tour operators.

We left a walkie talkie behind in a cab in Grand Caymen and didn't even realize it until we got a call, after back on ship but still in port, on our other one from a strange person :confused:

They asked if we lost a walkie talkie in a cab on the island and if so could we describe it and did we want it back. At first we thought they were joking or that it wasn't ours but after checking with the others in our party of 8 we realized that one was missing and that it probably was ours.

We called them back on one of our other ones and they said the cab driver ( very nice lady) turned it in to port security and they would have someone take it out to the ship ( we were tendered). Later that night after we were at sea someone from ship security called us and delivered it to our door. Very cool:)

Another story... not exactly leaving something behind but this is so bizarre because it not only happened to me once but twice on two separate cruises.

We were on the Navigator and Voyager. They have the jewelry safe right over the tv which is over the fridge. I keep my jewelry ( mostly not expensive, mostly costume) in the safe so I know where it is and it all stays together. On both occasions I went to take something out and something else fell out, slid on the back of the tv and flew right down the hole behind the fridge. Now imagine that:eek: ... The first time it happened I was embarrassed but called maintenance and they came( within 5 min) took out the fridge and got the earring... after apologizing and tipping the very nice maintenance man he smiled and said no problem.

The same thing happened to me on the second cruise :rolleyes: once again.. and our room attendant was in the hall so he and his wife ( who also worked as a room attendant on our floor) came in and called maintenance once again.. we all had a good hoot including the maintenance man and they once again retrieved the piece of jewelry.

Well we are cruising once again in May and guess what I am NOT going to put my jewelry in that darn safe over the tv

You can just imagine the comments etc... from the men folk of our party, my DH, my Dad and my brother who were all ribbing me for the rest of the cruise.

So BEWARE of these safes and the "chute" on the tv that leads right to the hole behind the fridge :D . Now if this was some kind of contest and I was going to win a million $$ to do that prank it never would happen even once

What do people do with their SetSail pass and things like that?

Get your husband a pair of shorts/swim trunks that have the waterproof wallet in the pocket. Speedo makes them as well as a lot of other companies now. I picked up several pairs at JC Penny last year on clearance for $2 a pair :D Just put both of your sea passes, credit cards and ID's in his pocket and your good to go into the water with no worries.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Thank you everybody who has posted their experiences. It is amazing and very enlightening to hear of the ones who got their stuff returned!! Although, the other stores need to be told also to help more cruisers and I appreciate you all. Thank again for all your input. If you have more stores about this keep them coming please!!! Very helpful!!:D

Archived