Has anyone got recent experience booking flights through Royal UK?

I've found myself with a bit of a dilemma recently.

I don't get to cruise often, so the cruise I previously had booked for 2 weeks around the med on Anthem last June was a big thing for me. It was booked before covid, and when things kicked off I moved it to Dec 2021 in the Caribbean, thinking things would likely be back to normal by then. Throughout 2020, looking ahead to this has been the focus of my "let's get through this, there's a reward at the end" mindset.

When I moved the booking, there was actually a bit of confusion on my part between the sailing dates of the cruise in 2020 vs 2021, and it was only after moving it I realised I'd be flying back to the UK from NY on Xmas eve, landing on the 25th. Initially I panicked, thinking this would cost a fortune, but it actually produced an unexpected benefit. I didn't realise how much cheaper flights can be at this time, and for not much more than an economy round trip in the summer, I could fly out in premium, and back in business or first, which is an item on my bucket list I didn't think I'd ever get to tick off. I've been watching prices on December 2020 flights all year to get an idea of the best times to book once the 2021 flights started to become available.

However (I get there in the end), the dilemma has now presented itself. The UK is already well behind in its vaccine roll out plans and the need for more lockdowns next winter are now being discussed, and every travel insurer I've spoken to has stated that they would consider an itinerary change/cancellation to be down to covid, and therefore not covered. This means that if Royal cancel the cruise for any reason, or if a vaccination is required and I can't get one, I'm stuck with the flights. The only way I'd be able to cancel them once booked is if the UK/US closed their borders and the flight itself didn't go, or if I myself had covid. Most airlines also appear pretty inflexible around this, as I'd expect them to be. 

Royal don't currently have any flights available for that far ahead, and have advised waiting at least 3 months before approaching them, but does anyone have any recent experience booking flights through them from the UK, and have any ideas of how much more expensive they are? I know it used to be roughly 10% pre-covid, can anyone reliably advise what premium I can expect to pay? 

14 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

Royal don't currently have any flights available for that far ahead, and have advised waiting at least 3 months before approaching them

Make it more like 8 months. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Make it more like 8 months. 

Ouch. By that time I'll definitely be flying economy, which if I booked now would be a cost I wouldn't worry too much about losing!

This is where I keep leading myself in circles. Booking economy now would be cheap enough that I could deal with the risk, but then I'd spend the year wondering if I had missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime treat. But with the uncertainty around the cruise even happening, booking the upgraded seats is too much of an outlay to risk just losing. So booking with Royal solves the issue if it's affordable, but if they keep me waiting for months to find out it might cost too much, by which time I'm paying a lot more for downgraded seats whoever I go with!

Of course the safest option would be to cancel the drinks package, and assume the cruise will cancel before final payment (november), or if it doesn't just cancel then and lose the £300 deposit. But I think knowing the ship then went on to sail would finish me off after the year I've had!

If any UK users have actually booked flights through Royal in the last few months, I'd really appreciate a rough idea of how the cost compared with booking flights direct?

Thanks!

I'm in a very similar situation also from the UK and have return business class tickets for Heathrow - JFK booked myself for a cruise.. 

It's certainly a risk but like you its bucket list for us and I paid more in economy 20 years ago flying to the States.  No one knows what's going to happen but to correct you slightly the UK is 2nd or 3rd I think in the world vaccinating its population currently and although its really grim here at the moment it has to improve surely despite what that scientist says!

I might be foolish but I've risked it and to be honest the thought of being served champagne in my seat awaiting take off in Business is keeping me going. 

Edited by Tin can

5 minutes ago, Tin can said:

to correct you slightly the UK is 2nd or 3rd I think in the world vaccinating its population currently and although its really grim here at the moment it has to improve surely despite what that scientist says!

We might be high in the rankings, but we're still behind schedule already and the government schedules are unlikely to be fulfilled.

I'm unlikely to qualify for one anytime soon. Which is right, front line workers like NHS, Blue Lights, teachers etc should get them.

2 hours ago, Smiles1984 said:

Ouch. By that time I'll definitely be flying economy, which if I booked now would be a cost I wouldn't worry too much about losing!

This is where I keep leading myself in circles. Booking economy now would be cheap enough that I could deal with the risk, but then I'd spend the year wondering if I had missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime treat. But with the uncertainty around the cruise even happening, booking the upgraded seats is too much of an outlay to risk just losing. So booking with Royal solves the issue if it's affordable, but if they keep me waiting for months to find out it might cost too much, by which time I'm paying a lot more for downgraded seats whoever I go with!

Of course the safest option would be to cancel the drinks package, and assume the cruise will cancel before final payment (november), or if it doesn't just cancel then and lose the £300 deposit. But I think knowing the ship then went on to sail would finish me off after the year I've had!

If any UK users have actually booked flights through Royal in the last few months, I'd really appreciate a rough idea of how the cost compared with booking flights direct?

Thanks!

Hi, We've had a few cruises cancelled and rebooked some of them for this year and next year, I got a great deal on flights with Virgin and went with it as they are offering free rebooking, might be worth looking into it and just be resigned to the fact if it cancels you can get a credit but not a refund.  Not much comfort but until things really improve anything could happen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

We might be high in the rankings, but we're still behind schedule already and the government schedules are unlikely to be fulfilled.

I'm unlikely to qualify for one anytime soon. Which is right, front line workers like NHS, Blue Lights, teachers etc should get them.

Fully agree, just trying to paint an alternative 'glass half full' scenario as there is as much positive and negative news out there. Who knows though, that's the gamble I guess.

3 hours ago, welshrich said:

Hi, We've had a few cruises cancelled and rebooked some of them for this year and next year, I got a great deal on flights with Virgin and went with it as they are offering free rebooking, might be worth looking into it and just be resigned to the fact if it cancels you can get a credit but not a refund.  Not much comfort but until things really improve anything could happen.

That's a really good shout, looks like I could rebook for a trip in 2022 if it all falls apart. Thanks for the headsup!