I Asked NCL First

MsTabbyKats

Last night we booked an Alaskan cruise on Encore 9/26 - 10/3/2021.  We were booked to Alaska in April 2020 (cancelled) and then a TransAtlantic in April 2021 (also cancelled). We are crossing our fingers that we will be able to get the vaccines by late summer (we are in FL...under 65 but with some of those health risks) and that this ship will sail.  

On 1/19/2021 at 8:49 PM, maren91 said:

Unfortunately vaccines are only 90-95% effective depending on the maker of the vaccine so you still can get COVID. The vaccine also only protects you and you can still pass COVID to other people even if you're vaccinated so masks are definitely here to stay. 

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/preventing-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus#:~:text=The answer is%2C we,protected from becoming sick.

That's an overstatement.  The links state that you 'might' pass on the COVID but that still isn't known.

"The vaccine will protect you from getting sick, but it may not prevent you from infecting others. That's why, at least for now, you should continue wearing a mask and physically distancing from others, even after you get your shot."

That statement is far from saying that 'masks are here to stay'.

If you're waiting for 100% protection, that isn't going to happen and 90-95% vaccine effectiveness is far better than that provided by the masks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

That's an overstatement.  The links state that you 'might' pass on the COVID but that still isn't known.

"The vaccine will protect you from getting sick, but it may not prevent you from infecting others. That's why, at least for now, you should continue wearing a mask and physically distancing from others, even after you get your shot."

That statement is far from saying that 'masks are here to stay'.

If you're waiting for 100% protection, that isn't going to happen and 90-95% vaccine effectiveness is far better than that provided by the masks.

I appreciate your feedback Dr. RocketMan275. I'll make sure to discuss your research and findings with my coworkers at the hospital tomorrow.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maren91 said:

I appreciate your feedback Dr. RocketMan275. I'll make sure to discuss your research and findings with my coworkers at the hospital tomorrow.

Stay safe.

My comments were taken directly from the actual findings in the Harvard Medical reports you linked too.  

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

My comments were taken directly from the actual findings in the Harvard Medical reports you linked too.  

I'm hearing the same thing.  Hopefully the vast majority will get vaccinated and we'll reach herd immunity.  Otherwise, masks will be the new fashion accessory....kind of like hats in the winter.  I only wear them out of necessity!

On 1/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, sanger727 said:

I don't know what the situation will be in October, but I feel pretty sure you won't have a better indication in June at this point. The only thing that may allow a mask free cruise is if they require a vaccination. And I don't think they will require a vaccination until there is enough supply for it to be available to anyone worldwide. That isn't going to happen by June. Doubt it will happen by October. 

Also worth keeping in mind is that a vaccine-required cruise will affect the demographics of who can cruise at that time. As no vaccine for kids under 16 is ready yet, mandatory-vaccine sailings will probably only be open to those aged 16 and older.