Looking to book QM2 TATL NY to Hamburg

ysolde

Hello, everyone!  My DH and I are looking to book the QM2 TATL NY to Hamburg in the Fall of 2023 (I know, it's a ways away).  This would be our first QM2 (my very first cruise ever was Cunard Adventurer when I was 3 or 4 years old, with my parents, way back in the 70s, but I digress).  We have questions.  Queen's Grill v. Princess Grill -- what are the major differences?  Are there walk-in showers in PG cabins?  What kind of music can we expect on the QM2?  We know the dress code is somewhat more formal that other cruise lines (which is a nice change): How many nights are formal nights?  Is a tuxedo required for men on formal nights, or is a dark suit and tie sufficient?  Are women required to wear long evening gowns on formal nights, or are cocktail dresses appropriate?  Are there hairdressers at the spa who can do a lady's hair?  What exactly is the planetarium about?  How many theme nights are there, and what are they like? We are looking to cross to Europe on QM2 and start a Europe trip this way.  How realistic is this?

I can’t comment on the grills, but there are three formal nights on the UK-US TA, perhaps the extension to Hamburg adds another.  Most men wear a dinner jacket but there were enough mainly US passengers in dark suit that in Britannia you needn’t worry; my guess is that in Grills it may be more strictly observed.  Even the basic cabins have showers.  The planatarium is perhaps over-rated, used for short film shows about the night sky on four days of the crossing.  It’s an interesting novelty but the film shows themselves arent anything special, or serious.

It is entirely realistic to add on a European tour, either by train or hiring a car (choose the former for visiting larger cities and the latter for smaller towns and villages).  The main challenge with either is managing the packing to cover both the needs of the QM2 and of a travelling holiday thereafter.  I spent seven weeks travelling the US in 2019 and had the dinner jacket folded up in dry cleaning plastic on the rear seat floor of the car.  For a European train trip I’d look into storage options for a suitcase, as you won’t want to lug stuff all around Europe that you don’t need for the trip.

• Like 2

As far as I am aware Princess grills and below do not have walk in showers they are over the bath. Planetarium is not shown at all times only on occasional days and if interested in astronomy etc. is very interesting if not then yes it could be classed as over rated but you could say that about anything if you havent go an interest. Difference between QG and PG is bigger suite with butler and some free drinks to drink in suite  and a better choice of menu in dining room. We found majority of men wore tuxedos on formal nights in dining room. There are hairdressers in Spa area of the ship but are very expensive and IMO not the best qualified.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IB2 said:

I can’t comment on the grills, but there are three formal nights on the UK-US TA, perhaps the extension to Hamburg adds another.  Most men wear a dinner jacket but there were enough mainly US passengers in dark suit that in Britannia you needn’t worry; my guess is that in Grills it may be more strictly observed.  Even the basic cabins have showers.  The planatarium is perhaps over-rated, used for short film shows about the night sky on four days of the crossing.  It’s an interesting novelty but the film shows themselves arent anything special, or serious.

It is entirely realistic to add on a European tour, either by train or hiring a car (choose the former for visiting larger cities and the latter for smaller towns and villages).  The main challenge with either is managing the packing to cover both the needs of the QM2 and of a travelling holiday thereafter.  I spent seven weeks travelling the US in 2019 and had the dinner jacket folded up in dry cleaning plastic on the rear seat floor of the car.  For a European train trip I’d look into storage options for a suitcase, as you won’t want to lug stuff all around Europe that you don’t need for the trip.

Thanks.  I think our biggest concern would be how much we would be packing and lugging around.  We would be spending 4-5 weeks in Europe afterwards, and if we are packing a tuxedo and two evening gowns, plus some costumes for theme night, we might be talking an extra suitcase.  Carrying all that around on planes and trains throughout Europe sounds exhausting.  But you're right that maybe we should look to store it early on and then fly home with it at the end.  Food for thought.

3 hours ago, ysolde said:

Thanks.  I think our biggest concern would be how much we would be packing and lugging around.  We would be spending 4-5 weeks in Europe afterwards, and if we are packing a tuxedo and two evening gowns, plus some costumes for theme night, we might be talking an extra suitcase.  Carrying all that around on planes and trains throughout Europe sounds exhausting.  But you're right that maybe we should look to store it early on and then fly home with it at the end.  Food for thought.

You could always use a service to ship the unwanted formal attire home.

There apparently are storage options in/near Southampton, but that would not be too useful if you are flying home from Dublin or Oslo.

I don't know how solid you plans are - but you could consider getting the flying out of the way first, doing the land tour - and then meeting QM2 in Southampton, Hamburg or LeHavre (with previously shipped formal wear waiting in your room).

• Like 2

My DH and I have taken many TA crossings from Ny, and then traveled around Europe for an extra 2-3 weeks.

cocktail dress is fine. Some women even wear sparkly top with nice pants on formal night.  
we have traveled both Princess grill and ( once) QG . Although most men wear tux, a dark suit and tie is also acceptable.

No walk in shower ( shower is over tub) in All PG.  we were in a Q4 and it was also just a shower over tub. Not sure if any of the fancier QG may have separate tub and shower.  Britannia class has walk in shower only.

besides the butler, the QG rooms ar larger. Bigger walk in closet and larger bathroom and separate makeup/ desk area. The rooms are wider so you do get a wider balcony.

strategies we have used:

1. Ship home tux and shoes to a neighbor. They held them until we returned from our voyage. We did this from a high end Hamburg hotel. They packed up, and charged us a very minimal cost. Can’t remember if they used DHL or some other.

2. For NY- UK, we stay in London a couple of nights, leave one suitcase at the hotel.  They hold it for us while we travel around Europe. Then stay in London at same hotel at end of trip, pick up extra suitcase then fly back to California form LHR.

also have become adept at choosing clothes than can be worn in multiple ways to minimize our luggage. When traveling by train you want to have as little as possible.

I think the one time we took the ship all the way to Hamburg as you are doing, there were no extra formal nights between SOU and Hamburg, just the 3 formal nights NY to SOU.

have a great trip!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hawaii136 said:

No walk in shower ( shower is over tub) in All PG.  we were in a Q4 and it was also just a shower over tub. Not sure if any of the fancier QG may have separate tub and shower.  Britannia class has walk in shower only.

Although I have not travelled in a Q4 on the Queen Mary 2 - called Penthouse  - the floor plans show a separate shower stall. Some passengers we met on board said two things they liked about the Q4 as opposed to the Q5 and Q6 was the shower stall and the extra toilet and sink. As indicated, the lower QG categories and the PG have a tub with overhead shower.

• Like 1