Rebook Grouse

duquephart

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

On the booking that just cancelled we had a $400/pp "Past Guest" discount. When we look into a re-book that discount has decreased to $200/pp because it's now too long since our last cruise. Petty.

Not exactly. The regular past guest discount is $200 if booked within 1 year of a previous cruise; if longer, it is $100. In the past months, Viking at times has doubled it to $400. But they are still giving $200 as most past guests haven’t cruises in over a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

On the booking that just cancelled we had a $400/pp "Past Guest" discount. When we look into a re-book that discount has decreased to $200/pp because it's now too long since our last cruise. Petty.

$100 is the normal Explorers Club discount for a future cruise if you have taken one Viking cruise in the past.  $200 is the discount if you have taken two or more cruises with Viking.  To use either discount you must book within one year of your last cruise.  Double the Explorers Club discount ($200 or $400) has been offered on monthly special sailing offerings.  If you do not want the cash refund (which must be requested by Feb 28),  and are willing to take the voucher for booking a cruise in the future don't be in a rush to book your next cruise.  Watch for a special offer.  We saw many special offers from last summer through the fall and they rotated between River and Ocean cruises.  All the perks of a special sale may not appear on Vikings website.  The complete offering may only appear in an email from Viking or a brochure in the mail.  If it is an email, a Booking Code will accompany that special.  We booked a cruise this way last fall from an email we received.  The Viking website for the same cruise showed free airfare only as the perk.  However the email special sale gave us the free airfare, double the Explorers Club discount, included the Silver Spirits package, the Risk Free (cancel up to 24 hours before cruise) Guarantee and an additional $5.00 per person off price of stateroom.  Our Viking booking agent didn't even know the SSP was included until we have him the Booking Code from the email.  We had been watching these special for months.

Strange thing happened however.  We had been getting at least two emails per week from Viking.  Once we booked a cruise and paid the deposit we never again received a sale priced email from them.

13 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Not exactly. The regular past guest discount is $200 if booked within 1 year of a previous cruise; if longer, it is $100. In the past months, Viking at times has doubled it to $400. But they are still giving $200 as most past guests haven’t cruises in over a year.

Thanks! Odd that a Viking rep. can't put it that simply.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:17 AM, duquephart said:

I agree.  It is petty.  You should get the $400 past guest discount because the prior cancellation were not due to you cancelling the cruise.

I have a question for you that might help-  Do you have another Viking cruise prior to this re-booked cruise?

You only get $400 if Viking is making a special offer or you book on board or within 2 weeks of disembarkation. I had $400 on a cancelled cruise, but only got $200 when I rebooked. This makes sense - especially since I was way ahead with 125%.

3 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

I agree.  It is petty.  You should get the $400 past guest discount because the prior cancellation were not due to you cancelling the cruise.

I have a question for you that might help-  Do you have another Viking cruise prior to this re-booked cruise?

As it turns out the $400 was a Viking "special deal" at the time. The Viking "special deal" at the time of rebook is $1,200 discount for air so that sort of softened my ire. The argument that the deal this time is far better than the deal that time did contain some logic. Notice I didn't put "logic" and "Viking" in the same sentence.

5 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

I humbly agree with your last sentence.

And I assume that the answer to my question is, no I don't have another Viking cruise booked.

I am going to re-book the cruise for June, 2022. That is all we have going for now.