Grand Princess or Sapphire Princess for Alaska Cruise?

mtnlvr53

Greetings,

The Grand and Sapphire both mention above is a “Grand” class ship.

For more information please check out youtube.com.

Type in:  “Sapphire Princess cruise ship” and/or “Grand Princess Cruise ship”

There you will find several walk-through videos some only one to two years old.

A picture is worth a thousands words. 

Also, I listed (below) detail of 2 recent “Grand” ship dry docks.

Grand Princess (Grand Class) - Dry dock 2019 (Portland, Oregon)

• Reupholster lounge chairs in Explorer's, Crooner's, Wheelhouse, Crown Grill, Library, and Snookers. 
  • New information screens throughout elevator lobbies
  • New bathtubs in staterooms
  • New sofas for Explorer's and Crooner's 
  • Replace Mini-suite sleeper sofas 
  • Replace astro turf deck covering on upper decks 
  • Replace Horizon Court carpeting and tiles 
  • Replace Wheelhouse Dance floor 
  • Refurbish elevator interiors
  • Repair/Refinish beverage station cabinets in Horizon Court 
  • New carpeting in the dining rooms and Crooner's. 
  • New carpeting in hallways
  • Refurbish swimming pools
  • General maintenance and upkeep
  • Painted hull of ship
  • New propellers
  • New hot tub tiling around both Calypso and Neptune pools
  • Ocean Medallion wiring install (not active until subsequent dry-dock in 2021/2022)
  • SHIP SYSTEMS: Inspection and repair of propellers, exchangers, propulsion as well as hot and cold water lines.   

Sapphire Princess (Grand Class) - 2018 dry dock refurbishment 2 weeks (Singapore)

• new bow livery
  • All cabins were upgraded with the custom-made Princess Luxury beds.
  • Renovated the wellness center (Fitness Center and Lotus Spa )
  • Renovated all retail shops
  • Renovated corridors and hallways.
  • Princess Theatre (indoor movie lounge) received new LED screen (15x5 m / 49x16 ft).
  • Theater's show programs have been upgraded with the new production show like "Bravo". The musical is offered on formal nights.
  • A new category cabin (Club-Class Mini-Suite) was introduced with VIP amenities and reserved dining area. Price-inclusive amenities also include expedited dinner seating, priority services (embarkation/disembarkation), complimentary wine, expanded menu, premium bathrobes.
  • SHIP SYSTEMS: Inspection and repair of propellers, exchangers, propulsion as well as hot and cold water lines. 

Hope this helps in what ship to consider.  John

• Like 1

I’d pick the Sapphire. I haven’t been on the Sapphire since she was last sailing regularly in the US, but I really loved that ship. I have been extremely disappointed in the Grand and what horrible shape she was in. I read the impressive list of upgrades and it’s almost tempting, but I don’t know how they can fix the problems with plumbing and moldy dripping water issues. There are some things that cosmetic work can’t fix. Also, the missing Skywalkers is something to consider. 

Janet--another Janet here with the same question! Thanks for asking. I think we will do the Sapphire on May 14. We will have our grandson. I hope they have some activities for kids. He isn't bringing a friend. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 5:16 PM, KruzPrincess said:

I’d pick the Sapphire. I haven’t been on the Sapphire since she was last sailing regularly in the US, but I really loved that ship. I have been extremely disappointed in the Grand and what horrible shape she was in. I read the impressive list of upgrades and it’s almost tempting, but I don’t know how they can fix the problems with plumbing and moldy dripping water issues. There are some things that cosmetic work can’t fix. Also, the missing Skywalkers is something to consider. 

I was on the Grand in 2019 after the dry dock and she was in excellent shape. Plumbing was one of the items that was worked on during the dry dock.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the info. Looks like the Grand may be going if for another redo in 2021/2022.  Am booking the 12 day in Alaska in September 2022.  Like the new ships but looking forward to going back to the others. 

Denny

I have sailed on both ships and love them both!!!!  You cannot go wrong with any ship sailing to Alaska! I sailed on the Grand 3 times to Alaska and she was great with the last sailing after the refurbish in 2019.  My 2020 cruise was scheduled to be on the Star but as we all know those were all canceled.  Both my husband and I are now fully vaccinated and hope we can hop on a ship late fall this year.  I don't care if it just goes around in circles I will still have a good time.

Edited by toescat
spelling correction
  • Like 1