Eastern Seaboard Explorer: Considering.....

Michael219

We are considering the Eastern Seaboard Explorer and welcome/appreciate any insight others may have to offer.  We've previously sailed Viking Ocean on the Italian Sojourn and totally enjoyed it!   I've always had a desire to sail into or out of NYC Harbor and this cruise would offer that.  One question for anyone who has taken this itinerary, is it better to sail out of NYC to fully get the 'gee-wiz' factor?

Also interested to learn your thoughts on the itinerary/ports etc.

If we book, it will undoubtedly be for September 2022.

Thank you!

Michael, NYC is one of the world's great harbors and it's history can hardly be separated from Atlantic passenger travel.  I have been lucky enough to sail into and out of NYC going back to the original Queen Mary and most recently in Fall of '19 on Viking Sun.  We docked just North of the aircraft carrier Intrepid on the North River.  For my money, arrivals in NYC are hard to beat anywhere.  Passing the Ambrose Light and entering the approaches then coming under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge is the big reveal for lower Manhattan and on your port side the Statue of Liberty.  Hope you get to do this itinerary.😎

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Michael219 said:

We are considering the Eastern Seaboard Explorer and welcome/appreciate any insight others may have to offer.  We've previously sailed Viking Ocean on the Italian Sojourn and totally enjoyed it!   I've always had a desire to sail into or out of NYC Harbor and this cruise would offer that.  One question for anyone who has taken this itinerary, is it better to sail out of NYC to fully get the 'gee-wiz' factor?

Also interested to learn your thoughts on the itinerary/ports etc.

If we book, it will undoubtedly be for September 2022.

Thank you!

End of September for the colorful foliage.

I think you might need to ask Viking a few questions about the expected timing and consult a sunrise/sunset time chart. https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-york?month=9&year=2022

September is approaching the equinox, days are getting shorter.

If you are interest is sailing in or out of New York harbor, then you want to know what time the ship arrives in NYC if starting from Montreal (the ships may arrive pre-dawn)  and what time it will depart from NYC when starting from NYC. If you are working with a TA, get your TA to get this info from Viking; else call Viking yourself (ask to speak to a supervisor if the agent who answers the phone cannot answer the question for you; continue up the line of supervisors as needed).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

End of September for the colorful foliage.

I think you might need to ask Viking a few questions about the expected timing and consult a sunrise/sunset time chart. https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-york?month=9&year=2022

September is approaching the equinox, days are getting shorter.

If you are interest is sailing in or out of New York harbor, then you want to know what time the ship arrives in NYC if starting from Montreal (the ships may arrive pre-dawn)  and what time it will depart from NYC when starting from NYC. If you are working with a TA, get your TA to get this info from Viking; else call Viking yourself (ask to speak to a supervisor if the agent who answers the phone cannot answer the question for you; continue up the line of supervisors as needed).

Peregrina651, you are always a wonderful resource and so open to sharing your experiences and more!  Thank you, I will look into that and use it as we make our decision.

10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Michael, NYC is one of the world's great harbors and it's history can hardly be separated from Atlantic passenger travel.  I have been lucky enough to sail into and out of NYC going back to the original Queen Mary and most recently in Fall of '19 on Viking Sun.  We docked just North of the aircraft carrier Intrepid on the North River.  For my money, arrivals in NYC are hard to beat anywhere.  Passing the Ambrose Light and entering the approaches then coming under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge is the big reveal for lower Manhattan and on your port side the Statue of Liberty.  Hope you get to do this itinerary.😎

Hiya Jim, thank you so much for your insight and info, much appreciated!  Earlier I found some of your previous posts, such as your comparison of Viking Ocean vs. Seabourn.  The timing was good as I've been considering both for this trip.  One TA mentioned some concern about inconsistencies on Seabourn and was more positive about the VO itinerary & overall offering.  Being a past Viking Ocean client, we became fans quite quickly!  I am hoping that by September 2022 travel is open and everyone is healthy and happy!!  Thanks again!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Michael219 said:

Peregrina651, you are always a wonderful resource and so open to sharing your experiences and more!  Thank you, I will look into that and use it as we make our decision.

Once bitten, twice share.  

So excited to read in the description that we would be sailing past Gibraltar.  They made such a fuss about it in the literature.  In reality, it was midnight when we sailed past and we could see a damned thing.  I was so bummed.  

Like me, you are looking for the gee whiz, so just trying to make sure you get it.  

If the big NYC sail by isn't going to work, take a look at the Montreal to Miami.  It skips New York and Boston in favor of smaller, more picturesque ports, and it does have more sea days.  

• Like 1

One thing about NYC arrival/departure is that both day and night runs are spectacular.  You know, NYC the city that never sleeps....  Statue of Liberty is beautiful at night as is the Verrazano Bridge.🍸

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:58 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Once bitten, twice share.  

So excited to read in the description that we would be sailing past Gibraltar.  They made such a fuss about it in the literature.  In reality, it was midnight when we sailed past and we could see a damned thing.  I was so bummed.  

Like me, you are looking for the gee whiz, so just trying to make sure you get it.  

If the big NYC sail by isn't going to work, take a look at the Montreal to Miami.  It skips New York and Boston in favor of smaller, more picturesque ports, and it does have more sea days.  

Hello again,

Thanks so much for your insight - could not agree more about checking and then rechecking!

I found another possibility but this is on the Seabourn Quest, Montreal to Miami with an overnight in New York City.  We've never sailed on Seabourn and would like to hear from anyone with experience on their ships & a comparison - asking respectfully as this is a Viking Ocean thread.

Good day all,

So here we are, trying to make a decision on a New England/Canada cruise with NYC in the itinerary someplace.  We loved our prior Viking Ocean experience but someone has also suggested a Seabourn itinerary - I am requesting any input/insight from others who may have sailed on both, along with the different itineraries (shown below).  

On Viking we'd probably book a PV3 cabin.

On Seabourn we'd probably be in a V1 Veranda.

Viking 13-day Eastern Seaboard Explorer: Viking Star

*(we'd probably do this in reverse to sail out of NYC)

Montreal, Canada (Overnight)
Montreal, Canada
Quebec City, Canada
Saguenay, Canada    
Scenic Cruising: St. Lawrence Seaway
Gaspé, Canada
Halifax, Canada
Cruise the Nova Scotia Coast
Boston (overnight)
Boston
New York City (Overnight)

Seabourn 14-Day Atlantic Coast Harbors: Seabourn Quest

Montreal, Quebec
Quebec City, Quebec
Saguenay Fjord, Canada
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Shelburne, Nova Scotia
Bar Harbor, Maine
New York, New York
New York, New York
Charleston, South Carolina
Miami, Florida

Thanks in advance!!

IMHO, it comes down to this: do you want more time in big cities or in picturesque towns? Viking offers overnights in Montreal, Boston and NYC.

The other thing I would want to look at is how much time does each cruise line spend in each port.

• Thanks 1

Only ever sailed into New York and that was around midday by dint of a re-schedule caused by our failure to tender into Bar Harbor due to adverse sea conditions.

Ordinarily we would have arrived in the early hours of the morning when it would have been more problematic getting to see the sights.

Because we arrived around noon we were treated to an on-board commentary by one of the entertainment staff and had the wow factor of sailing under the Verrazano Bridge with the Manhattan panorama in front of us and the Statue of Liberty to the left.

As has been said, check with Viking to see what their arrival and departure times are. If the ship is due to arrive early morning on its arrival in New York then it may be better to book the sail out of NY as that is likely to be mid to late afternoon and you will get the best views at a more convenient time

• Like 1

Have sailed to and from NYC on RCL, X, Princess, Carnival and VO.  Every time we entered the harbor around dawn and departed late afternoon.  The harbor and city skyline are always impressive but best seen in full daylight.  On our Viking Sun NYC - Miami sailing a couple of years ago the ship must have arrived very early as embarkation for higher level cabins began at 11am.  

5 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

as embarkation for higher level cabins began at 11am.  

Just to clarify: Viking does not offer priority boarding. Boarding is first come, first served, regardless of cabin category, and usually starts just as soon disembarkation is completed (by 10 am). This will obvious change a bit once operations resume since we will all have to wait for our test results before we will be permitted to board but I still expect that Viking will want to stick to trying to getting us on board as quickly as possible, as opposed to have us sitting around the terminal.

Once on board, access to cabins is by cabin category, with higher level cabins being promised earlier in the day.  The crew sees those times as a challenge, a time to beat, not just meet. So, check your cabin when you board; it may be ready for you. Viking will make only one announcement and that is when all cabins are ready.

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Just to clarify: Viking does not offer priority boarding. Boarding is first come, first served, regardless of cabin category, and usually starts just as soon disembarkation is completed (by 10 am). This will obvious change a bit once operations resume since we will all have to wait for our test results before we will be permitted to board but I still expect that Viking will want to stick to trying to getting us on board as quickly as possible, as opposed to have us sitting around the terminal.

Once on board, access to cabins is by cabin category, with higher level cabins being promised earlier in the day.  The crew sees those times as a challenge, a time to beat, not just meet. So, check your cabin when you board; it may be ready for you. Viking will make only one announcement and that is when all cabins are ready.

And we have always been able to dump our carry ons in the room even if not ready.  Makes enjoying all the other stuff we can do more enjoyable.🍷

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 7:21 PM, Peregrina651 said:

IMHO, it comes down to this: do you want more time in big cities or in picturesque towns? Viking offers overnights in Montreal, Boston and NYC.

The other thing I would want to look at is how much time does each cruise line spend in each port.

You consistently respond with thought provoking & insightful information &/or questions.  In reviewing the two itineraries with my better half, she prefers the "picturesque towns" as you so aptly put it, and I agree.  Plus, this will provide both a sail in to and out of New York Harbor - a bonus!  We wish Viking offered such an itinerary but we will absolutely sail with them again - this will be a new experience with Seabourn.

Thanks again for your time and sharing here on Cruise Critic - and when we've previously emailed awhile back!!

Michael I look forward to your comparison of Seabourn and Viking.  I did one back in 2018 as we sailed Seabourn Sojourn in Alaska a month or so after getting off Viking Sun after 4 months.  I did a very detailed comparison of the two at that time.  Possibly you might find it using the search function but it was posted somewhere around August 2018.  Everyone has to make up their own minds what they like.🍸

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 3:43 PM, Peregrina651 said:

There you have it! The clincher!

Now it is just 18 months and counting to "bon voyage."

--

Booked and now the countdown begins!  It will be interesting to compare Seabourn to our wonderful Viking Ocean experience - but no matter what, it will be a wonderful time and experience!!

Thanks again for your insight and comments across so many threads here on Cruise Critic, so much appreciated!!