This is great news: "Carnival is crewing up its cruise fleet"

Lee Cruiser

33 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Why would their ships be different from their parks? Or maybe they get more revenue from non-cruise sources and are focusing on them? Spring break is coming.

My guess is that it's a whole lot easier to keep people distanced at the parks than on a cruise ship. There are a multitude of restaurants -- not just one main dining room and a small handful of other dining options; They can social distance people in line for a ride a *lot* more easily in the parks; If they cut back on shows offered (which they have) in order to not have a bunch of people all in the same indoor space, there are still plenty of entertainment options to choose from. 

On 3/9/2021 at 8:02 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Not sure we're on course to reach herd immunity anytime soon thanks to a core group of head-in-sand people. You know, the ones who never give much thought as to the consequences of their actions or inactions on others.

Tom

Absolutely! Right on Point!

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

How long do you have to be in contact with a spreader? Not long. Churches to garden parties have been spreader events.

Not disagreeing with that.  It is the litigious /ports closing in a panic side I was noting.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Cell phone data is how they connect dots on land along with identifying specific strains of the virus.

The US, in general, isn't doing contact tracing (AFAIK), so while it could be done, it isn't (probably relatively pointless anyway with such significant numbers and freedom of movement).

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

3 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

Disney Cruise Line is looking to *hopefully* return to sailing by Fall, and even that is on a "limited" basis... and they only have 4 ships to worry about. Why people still think Carnival will somehow be cruising by June 1 is beyond me.

At their shareholder meeting yesterday, Bob Chapek said: 

"We are anticipating that with some luck and the increase in the number of vaccinations out there and the encouraging that we are seeing that maybe by this fall we might be able to have some limited operations of our cruise ships, but that’s all going to depend on the incidence of the virus and the vaccination of the general public. So, we look forward though when we do open up to using the very same disciplined guidelines we’ve used in our parks to safely reopen and use those same guidelines on the Disney Cruise Line."

Hey Gina! I think part of it is that Disney is going above and beyond when it comes to how they've been treating the whole social distancing/mask thing (and I don't mean that in a bad way). They can probably also afford to keep their ships empty longer with all that Disney+ money rolling in. They can easily wait and let the other cruise lines start operations again and see how they do for a couple of months before committing to start sailing again. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 2:16 PM, Rudyard said:

Hey Gina! I think part of it is that Disney is going above and beyond when it comes to how they've been treating the whole social distancing/mask thing (and I don't mean that in a bad way). They can probably also afford to keep their ships empty longer with all that Disney+ money rolling in. They can easily wait and let the other cruise lines start operations again and see how they do for a couple of months before committing to start sailing again. 

Hey old friend! 👋 I didn't think Disney+ numbers directly affected the cruise division? But yeah, you're probably right. And they can always just raise prices even more from down here to make back the lost earnings, right? 🙄  I want to get Ray on there so bad, but sheeeesh...

And I just realized you're going to be on Breeze the sailing right before ours! You sail on my birthday. 🙂   Save some coconut rum onboard for us!!

• Like 1