Need HELP with Shore Excursions in ALASKA

jennyjayfl

:confused: I was wondering if any of you past Alaska cruisers could give me some advice on choosing the best tours. My husband and I (in our thirties) tend to shy away from the huge tours offered by the cruise line, and prefer much smaller, private tours. We will be on the Celebrity Summit- May 27th 2006 sailing and are still looking for tours in Juneau, Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), and Ketchikan. We will be staying in a Sky Suite #6125 Has anyone stayed in this cabin before on any of the other Millenium Class Ships?? THANKS

Jenny:p

Carnival Liberty (Europe 2005)

Norweigan Wind

Carnival Victory, Immagination, and Sensation

Jenny,

You'll be on the Summit right after we get off. We promise to leave her in good shape!

Your best bet for finding advice is to go to the Ports of Call Boards and click on Alaska. There's a wealth of information from people who have great experience in Alaska, including independent tours where you have fewer people and more personalized tours!

By the way, we went last year to Alaska and loved it so much we're going back! We LOVED Icy Strait, you will find a couple independent tour options listed on the boards.

Happy planning!

We took our mother and went on an evening whale watching excursion, through the cruise ship, in, I believe, Juneau. There were not a lot of people from the ship because most people went in the morning or afternoon. We had a nice buffet meal and a great tour. We saw humpback whales bubble netting. It was a very cool experience.

By the way, we went last year to Alaska and loved it so much we're going back! We LOVED Icy Strait,

What is sooo GREAT about Icy Strait? This is our third Alaska cruise and this port is our first time this coming May along with Vancouver and we have already been to Juneao, Ketchin, Skayway, Haines, Stika and Victoria. I thought Stika was the most beautiful place!

Hello,

I highly recommend renting a car in Juneau. This will save you lots of money and give you the flexiibilty to see and do more. The East Loop trail at the Mendenhall Glacier is a great hike and you will have some great views of the Glacier as well as the surrouding Alaska wilderness. There are only 40 miles of paved road in and around Juneau so you can't get lost. Make sure though that you can rturn the rental car in downtown Juneau and not just at the airport.

Ketchikan is a town that you can see by foot, that is, by walking around the town.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Fredr's note about where you rent a car in Juneau, if you choose to do so, is really important -- otherwise you can waste a lot of money and time getting to and from the Juneau airport (not even remotely near the pier) to get your car. We did that on our first Alaska cruise (Infinity, August 2003). Last summer (Mercury, August 2005), we just caught a shuttle bus to Mendenhall from the dock -- $10 round trip. (Depending on where Summit docks, you may have to walk a block or two to get to the shuttle zone.)

Ketchikan is where I wholeheartedly recommend renting a car. Both cruises, we've done so, with convenient pickup and return (Budget the first time, Alaska the second time, both with offices a little bit north of town but drivers to pick us up by the dock and take us back there afterward) -- and we made the same two stops both times, as we enjoyed them so much originally -- Totem Bight and Settler's Cove state parks. (The latter is at the literal end of the road north of Ketchikan.)

Have a great cruise -- TR

We went on a whale watching tour with Captain Larry in Juneau which was wonderful. We even had a humpback whale dive under the boat!

In Icy Straits, if you want some local color, book with Floyd of F.I.S.H.E.S. You go out on a small fishing boat in search for whales. He even has an underwater microphone so you can hear them talk.

Garry

We went on a whale watching tour with Captain Larry in Juneau which was wonderful. We even had a humpback whale dive under the boat!

Garry

We also went on Captain Larry's tour and had a hump back dive under his boat---I was sitting right behind him and as the whale came at us he yelled, "Look out! Don't forget where the lifevests are!" Then he grabbed his camera and started shooting!! I didn't even have time to get worried before I started laughing. Check out his web site--his photography is awesome!!! http://www.orcaenterprises.com

From what he mentioned on our tour, his main job is studying whales.

The touring is to supplement the cost of him going out to study whales.

We noticed that all of the other tour companies were just kind of sitting out there and when Captain Larry came out they just watched to see where he was going because he knows their habits and where they will probably be. He has a great sense of humor and knows his stuff.

This is really a great private tour!!

The Alaska Board under Ports of Call was invaluable to us in planning our Alaska cruise in 2005. We especially enjoyed whale watching with Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises in Juneau and the White Pass Railroad trip in Skagaway. People are amazed at the pictures we took on both of excursions.

Hi Jenny,

You did not say if your cruise was travelling northbound from Vancouver or southbound from Juneau, but I have a suggestion for you if you are on a southbound cruise and have to fly to Juneau to get to the port. Although I wouldn't technically call this a shore excursion, there is no harm getting a jump on experiencing Alaska's beauty before you board the ship.;)

We are doing a southbound on SUMMIT in September, and have the same aversion to large group excursions as you do. We decided to take the Alaskan RR to Seward from Juneau to board the ship after a couple of days of pre-cruise flyfishing. It leaves very early in the morning (5:30 - 6:00 I think), takes a scenic coastal route, and arrives in Seward before noon. I was told the train sells out months in advance, so I have already reserved seats for us. Here is the website: http://www.alaskarailroad.com/arrc8.html

Whatever you decide for excursions, I wish you Good Luck and a wonderful voyage!

Cheers,

I was wondering if any of you past Alaska cruisers could give me some advice on choosing the best tours. My husband and I (in our thirties) tend to shy away from the huge tours offered by the cruise line, and prefer much smaller, private tours. We will be on the Celebrity Summit- May 27th 2006 sailing and are still looking for tours in Juneau, Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), and Ketchikan. We will be staying in a Sky Suite #6125. Has anyone stayed in this cabin before on any of the other Millenium Class Ships?? THANKS

Jenny,

We did Alaska on the Summit with our daughters in July of 2004...Stayed in Sky Suites #6122 and #6124...Very nice! You'll enjoy it...

As to excursions, the ABSOLUTELY best one we did was a Helicopter Glacier Landing with Coastal Helicopters in Juneau:

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/t_icefield.htm

This was absolutely spectacular...and less expensive than the one offered by the ship yet it flew farther up onto the icefield...DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY...there is really nothing else like it anywhere--We cruised the Norwegian Fjords this past summer, and, despite all the glaciers, they do not offer heleicpter landings like this anywhere...Just walking around on the pristine blue ice at what feels like the top of the world is an experience one can't adequately describe.

Icy Strait Point is sort of a different animal...When we went in 2004, it was their first season as a cruise ship port and the only excursions available were through the ship...It's actually the town of Hoonah, Alaska and it's home to a small local tribe and the tribe is the supplier of all excursions to the cruise line...very little, if not zero, competition...although, someone on our cruise did contact the tribe and arrange for a private fishing boat...

For Ketchikan, we made no advance plans--just got off the ship and "found" a tour--there's a "Visitors Center" building just off the pier with counters for any sort of tour imaginable...

Good luck...and enjoy!

I agree about the Alaskan Railroad. It's a great ride and we have great pictures. We arrived a couple of days early, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward which is like a block from the train depot. We took a 6 hour excursion in the fjords and saw lots of wild life and glaciers. I'd do it again. We also took the Railroad in Skagway. Another great ride.

In Ketchikan you can get a trolley tour for $25 each when you are in town. There are lots of people doing this or similar. It goes to the totem park, Dollys House (they give you a ticket when you get off), a town tour, "rainforest" area, a very knowledgable guide and not a big crowd. We thought it was pretty good for the money and you can probably fit in soething else too.

In Skagway we went on a tour bus to the Summit rather than the overpriced WhitePass Railway. You see the same thing for half the price and have the guide in the same car so you can ask questions. They also took us to a place called Liarsville where we gold panned. There they have a short show of a Robert Service poem reading which is a riot. We loved this and paid $55 each. Just the railway pass is $89 ea. But maybe you aren't stopping there?? When we did Alaska we were on Dawn Princess. Hope this helps.

I think I would spend the bucks to ride the train (White Pass) yes you can save some but the bus isn't the train, it is after all over 100 years old.

Juneau, you can bus to Mendenhall and back for 10 bucks. The Big Blue Bus just outside the ship at the dock, runs every 30 minutes.

Icy Strait, we just walked to Hoonah, about 2 miles. LOTS of Eagles along the way.

Oh you are in for a great trip. Like everyone else, I would say Captain Larry - he was wonderful and then, if your budget will allow it, do a helicopter trip as well in Juneau - Captain Larry will fix it all up for you including all the transport between ship, airport and back. In Ketchikan we went with Michelle Island Wings on her float plane to Misty Fjords and then we had the most fantastic trip with a lovely lady called Lois Mucnh in her chevvy all around Ketchikan - she really knows the place having been a school teacher - you can get a link to her on the Ketchikan Tourist Board website - think she is called Classic Tours. Icy Strait POint is lovely and unspoilt; not sure if it is bear time or not for you - when we were there that was the trip we went on and it was great. In ISP there are virtually no private operators; the locals work with the cruise company but it all works very well; you will meet people who come out to their garden gates just to talk to the cruise passengers because they are so happy the ship is in

hello,

I suggest renting cars in Alaska, especially Juneau and Skagway so that you can see more for far less money. i am not anti tour because there are some great tours. But Alaska is very special because you have no language concerns, there are great maps, and great roads which make renting a car an ideal way to see this truly fascinating State. The shuttle to Mendenhall is great but does the shuttle run all day? And in Skagway the drive to Whitehorse is in the DO NOT MISS category for much less than the railroad or the bus. And there is lots of resources available to you to do your own research on what to see , especially from the Alaska State Tourism Department.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

I concur. Rent.

Juneau: we rented a van for $65 from Rent-A-Wreck in advance and were met at the pier. We drove to Mendenhall Glacier Park where we took in the glacier and two self-guided trails: Photo Point and Nugget Falls (free). Toured the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery ($12 for our group of 6). Highly recommend both. Hit Safeway grocery store for an early afternoon snack and souvenirs. Upon returning the van we were given a gratis tour of downtown. We elected to be dropped off in town to shop. Red Dog Saloon was too crowded so we just checked out a few shops in route to the ship.

Ketchikan: we didn't have much time to do anything special in Ketchikan other than visit the National Park Service’s museum which was quite informative, and shop. The town had some really fun shopping opportunities. Three places to stop in... "Good God" and ask for a sample of his Special Reserve smoked salmon; "Sockeye Sams": a nice all-around store; check out the ancient whale bone carvings. Look for the awesome (and reasonably priced) fossils and gemstones at "Poker Creek Gold" , and ask for a taste of the Birch Syrup at “Sam McGees” on Creek Street. We enjoyed another Alaska Amber Ale in a 3rd floor pub overlooking the dock. We didn’t leave the bar until the lines, to get back on the ship, got short.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/alaska.html

We were on the Infinity last summer. We used Southeast aviation to take a tour of the fjords in a seaplane. It was a great excursion. My wife does not usually like small planes but thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Unfortuantely, in Juneau, our helicopter trip was rained out so we cannot give you a comparison to the glacier helicopter tour.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to everybody who responded to my need for some advice! :) As for our Juneau plans, we were able to book a helipcopter tour through Coastal helicopters in the morning and then arranged for Captain Larry to pick us up from Coastal's heliport on the way to his boat for his infamous whale watching tour. From there (if weather permits) we will get dropped off at the Mendenhall Glacier on the trip back from Captain Larry's, and then hope to return to the cruise ship port in time to catch the tram up to Mt Roberts. Has anyone done this? Do you feel it was worth it? We will probably only have about 3 hours to explore up there... is that enough time to see everything?

As to Ketchikan, I think I will go with the group consenus and wait until we get there to book any other tours. The only thing we have planned right now in Ketchikan is a flightseeing tour to POW (Prince of Wales Island) for a bear /wildlife expedition through Alaskan Sea Plane tours at 5:30 PM (we are meeting Ryan at 5:15).

Thanks again, Jenny

P.S. To correct my earlier post, we ARE leaving from Seward:cool: Sorry:(

Archived