Ports of call arrangements

Just started asking the same question when yours came up.   I am looking at either Discovery Jan 22 or P &O  Jan 22 from Barbados - trying to decide between them P&O is quite a bit cheaper for a balcony cabin but there is a lot of discussion about only getting off the ship if on their tours.  

Trying to see what Marella doing but considering you can book a week in Barbados first I can't see how they will then not allow you off on your own. 

Can’t see you getting an answer for that for months. Who knows what the situation will be next year. We have bitten the bullet and just booked for Caribbean and Panama next January. We’re so needing a cruise now. Have a holiday booked for June in Greece from last year, fingers crossed. We need to me more positive as many here now seem to be talking in the past how things were in the old days. Onwards and upwards . Carry on cruising 😂

• 1 month later...

I've just called TUI for clarification on shore visits in respect of the Marella 2 cruises from Newcastle, details of which will be announced shortly.

No DIY independent disembarkations - you have to join a ship organised excursion.

No thanks, not for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently heard that Fred Olsen are allowing DIY shore excursions on (at least) one of their UK departure cruises - it has two ports of call, Lerwick and Faroe Islands.

Based on local regulations at this time - of course these could be revised if the health scenario has a subsequent negative impact.

Not sure if that's general policy for all ports of call around the British Isles.

45 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Recently heard that Fred Olsen are allowing DIY shore excursions on (at least) one of their UK departure cruises - it has two ports of call, Lerwick and Faroe Islands.

Based on local regulations at this time - of course these could be revised if the health scenario has a subsequent negative impact.

Not sure if that's general policy for all ports of call around the British Isles.

The Faroes will be interesting, magnificent scenery but not much to do. when I was there a few years ago we docked at Torshavn  and discovered there was not even a bar or cafe open. Apparently it is better now.

Thanks Dave.

Interesting that Lerwick is going to be open for self service runs ashore - meanwhile other cruise lines (MSC and Marella that I know of) maintaining their shIp excursion only mantra for ports of the British Isles.

They say it's down to policy of local authorities - if so, why is Lerwick OK, and not others ? Have the Shetlands separated from the UK ?

Edited by WeeCountyMan
SPELLING

14 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Thanks Dave.

Interesting that Lerwick is going to be open for self service runs ashore - meanwhile other cruise lines (MSC and Marella that I know of) maintaining their shIp excursion only mantra for ports of the British Isles.

They say it's down to policy of local authorities - if so, why is Lerwick OK, and not others ? Have the Shetlands separated from the UK ?

The cynic in me thinks it may be a way to increase revenue via excursions.

Marella wouldn't do that would they.? 🤔🤔