Catch an earlier flight with later tix?

Tiger Shark

I read on the boards that someone had a later flight out of Miami but was able to make it to the airport by 11:30 and got on an earlier flight. Can anyone tell me how this works? I don't understand why the airline will let you on an earlier flight if your tix are for a later one. Is this common? Is it hard to convince the airline to let you do this?

DH and I have tix out of Miami at 6:30 PM:eek:, and I would love to be able to get us out of there and home at an earlier time.

There is nothing strange about this. It has gone on for years. At one time it even worked across airlines but no more.

You check in at the counter and ask. The rep will tell you what is available and how much it will cost. There are so many different airline rules that vary from airline to airline. With some airlines the type of ticket you have may dictate the $. Sometimes it can cost zero dollars.

Some airlines have the kioshs. Delta's will display a message asking if you want to get an earlier flight and the cost would be 25.00. ( I can't remember the time frame that you can make a change for 25.00 but it is the same day and a couple of hours prior to your flight.)

Your best bet is to check in at the counter, or call the airline that morning.

I read on the boards that someone had a later flight out of Miami but was able to make it to the airport by 11:30 and got on an earlier flight. Can anyone tell me how this works? I don't understand why the airline will let you on an earlier flight if your tix are for a later one. Is this common? Is it hard to convince the airline to let you do this?

DH and I have tix out of Miami at 6:30 PM:eek:, and I would love to be able to get us out of there and home at an earlier time.

Yes, you can fly STANDBY. Space available only. However, you have now created a boring problem for yourself. You will have to get to the airport at least an hour (preferably 1.5 hours) before whatever flight you want to standby for. Let's say you want the 1:00 instead of 6:30PM. You should be at the airport at 11:30. IF you don't make the flight, you are now essentially stuck at the airport inside security for 7 hours. Sure, you can go in and out and reclear security as many times as you want. But you will be dragging all your "stuff" with you. MIA can be a real hassle standing repeatedly in long lines.

And with your flights being immediately after a cruise (and lots of other cruise passengers), your chances of flying standby are not good.

My advice (and I fly a LOT)-get a priceline cheapo rent a car for the day (for luggage storage and transport) and get out and enjoy Miami. You have enough time for a quick trip to the Everglades, SouthBeach or lots of other places.

Good luck. We thought we could get an earlier flight--but on the weekend when all those cruise passengers come in most flights are fully booked or over-booked. We waited in Miami airport for a 7:30 flight all day and then were an hour and a half late due to a minor mechnical problem. Didn't get home until midnight. Bummer! I think you would have a better chance if your cruise comes in on a week day.

Good luck. We thought we could get an earlier flight--but on the weekend when all those cruise passengers come in most flights are fully booked or over-booked. We waited in Miami airport for a 7:30 flight all day and then were an hour and a half late due to a minor mechnical problem. Didn't get home until midnight. Bummer! I think you would have a better chance if your cruise comes in on a week day.

That's always the way ... a mechanical error turns an 8 hour wait at the airport into a 10-12 hour one. UGH! Talk about flights where I wouldn't want to be the flight attendant ....

I've never had a problem going stand by. Yeah, I have been rolled over to another flight but I eventually get a seat on something earlier than my original flight.

There are 2 ways to try to get out early on an airline......

1. For a certain fee (depends on airline) they will grant you a postive space seat on your desired flight.

This is great if you just have to get out as soon as possible. I don't use this method....why should I pay more?

2. Request stand by for an earlier flight (some airlines charge a small fee, but the ones I fly are free).

Yeah, you have to wait around the airport, but by the time my cruise is over I'm so exhausted I just want to go home. Knowing that I'm planning to go stand by on an earlier flight, I always try to make sure I get off the ship as early as possible.

Only on one occassion did I not make my first intended stand by flight. I rolled to the next flight and my spouse and I got seats on the next flight (split seats, but I didn't care). I got home at 4pm versus 8pm. I have never flown on my original flight when coming home from a cruise.

I am looking to fly standby on AA out of miami to Puerto Rico on a Sat. As long as I can get out of DTW at 7:16am vs 12:11pm then I will have 3 opportunities to get into puerto rico earlier than 8:32pm. I didnt realize we have to be on the ship by 9pm. We set sail at 11pm. Hopefully I will be able to get a earlier flight. Any feedback??

Here is the easiest way;

When you get to the counter to check in, ask nicely.

And don't check your bags curbside. If you do and they go to the original flight you are stuck. (It did not used to be that way but it is now.)

I am looking to fly standby on AA out of miami to Puerto Rico on a Sat. As long as I can get out of DTW at 7:16am vs 12:11pm then I will have 3 opportunities to get into puerto rico earlier than 8:32pm. I didnt realize we have to be on the ship by 9pm. We set sail at 11pm. Hopefully I will be able to get a earlier flight. Any feedback??

Call and pay to switch to an earlier flight. A lot of the flights to San Juan are full.

Do you already have confirmed seats???

I do have confirmed seats already. I called to see how much it was going to be to change the flight and it is about $800 to change. That is double the amount I paid of the ticket. I guess I will just take my chances and fly standby. The only thing to lose is time. Worst case scenario, I will just have to take my already scheduled, paid and confirmed flights.

Archived