Accessible Alaska cruise tour

shel003

1 minute ago, DUTRAVEL said:

See my edited post for a picture of the space for wheelchairs and walkers.

Thanks.  But I'm not yet sure if we can use that car if we're not ticketed for it.  

I really don't know what cruise lines mean when they are selling excursions considered "accessible".  The details about the train were identical to the non-accessible Princess was selling.  

Just now, atexsix said:

Thanks.  But I'm not yet sure if we can use that car if we're not ticketed for it.  

I really don't know what cruise lines mean when they are selling excursions considered "accessible".  The details about the train were identical to the non-accessible Princess was selling.  

Yes it all the same, the only difference is that one car has the lift and the spaces for four wheelchairs. 

2 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Yes it all the same, the only difference is that one car has the lift and the spaces for four wheelchairs. 

I guess we'll just ask to be taken to that car, and if all else fails, one car over, at least I can put our device in there while the train is under way.  

I really appreciate everybody's help today, it is surprising how little information is provided by anybody in an official capacity, it's all word of mouth.  I will definitely come back and post a review from a disability perspective.  Not just about my Dad, but my own as well, as a stroke patient my deficits aren't as obvious.  

If the accessible spaces are already sold out, there may not be space to accommodate your equipment.

I don’t remember if passengers are permitted to change between cars, either in station or when the train is in motion.

@atexsixOn Princess there are always people available to help with wheelchair users getting on or off the ship at each port.  They have always approached us to offer help.  We've even had one crew member go in front of the wheelchair and one behind when the gangway was a bit steep.  

I think that the Princess excursion for the train departs from the pier, rather than from the station in town.  I would suggest that you post a question on the Princess Board as they are cruising Alaska already.  Someone currently onboard my be willing to have a quick 'look see' at the accessible train car and how boarding it is handled.

Once onboard, go to the Excursions desk to ask your question regarding boarding the accessible train car with the regular excursion ticket.

If you can convince your dad to do it, I would take the wheelchair.  I think you will be glad that you did.  We've always had help provided by Princess during embarkation.  Two of three times, all the way to our cabin.  

One word of caution.  If you choose to push the wheelchair yourself, be careful at the end of the gangway entering the ship.  This area is sometimes steep.  You may want to turn the chair around, and go backwards at that point.

• Thanks 1

I googled wheelchair train skagway and came up with Sage Traveling dot com who apparently specialize in disabled travel.  On their tour for Skagway they have pictures of the lift and several inside pics of the car, including the accessible bathroom.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Thanks 1