Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

19 hours ago, gailellen12 said:

This single supplement might be a blessing for me. I had to cancel my Aug 3 cruise due to my passport renewal not returned to me in time. I sent it expedited in May. Now all I need is it to come back soon so I can use my cruise credit to book the no single supplement a sept cruise. I would actually have cruise credits to spare as my Aug cruise would have cost me more $  Now all I would need to figure out is how to apply for my personal days at the start of school and successfully jump all the necessary hurdles 🤔

I just booked onto September 10 as a solo. I think I might know you. It’s Sally from the wine store. Maybe I’ll see you on the cruise if you can get on September 10. 

10 hours ago, Bonnycastle said:

That what bothering me the most. I saw a flight with very short connection at JFK (55 min) and much longer flights (up to 22 hours). So I hesitate because I don't understand how the flight that they are organizing will look like.  

We had American from SFO to CLT to BDA.  Long layover (5 hrs) in CLT but Viking gave its passengers free access to the Admirals Club,

• Like 3

23 hours ago, JM0115 said:

A question for those cruising this week and last.  Did the ship show any of the olympics? Any thing on the big screen?

Nothing that I’ve noticed so far. The big screen above the pool has been covered during the day.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 8:54 PM, JM0115 said:

A question for those cruising this week and last.  Did the ship show any of the olympics? Any thing on the big screen?

I was on the cruise last week and could not locate any coverage.  They do have CNBC and MSNBC in the room but when they were scheduled to have Olympic coverage on https://www.nbcolympics.com/ I didn't see it so maybe the ship's feed for those is different.  I did mention my disappointment at not being able to watch in my post cruise survey.  Maybe if you complain early on they may be able to do something.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

I can’t recall if this has been covered before, but apparently Bermuda is limiting cruises to half capacity. We have 400 on board according to the GM.

Guest Services informed me that we had 418 on the July 27 departure.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, JM0115 said:

Jim - we dealt with similar issues during the World Cruise where they showed the US type football matches, but not the English Premier League or Champions League. I asked the GM and he advised that they didn't have a contact to show any football matches.

While they may not show it on the big screen, suggest checking out Sky Sports & Sky Sports News channels on the cabin telly. Might get some Olympic's coverage or highlights.

• Like 1

Just booked the 9/10/21 Bermuda Escape cruise a few days ago and I have a few questions for those of you that have taken the cruise or about to take the cruise:

1. As a COVID test is required to fly back into the US does Viking give you the test? I assume (currently waiting on flight info) we will be flying out after disembarkation and if Viking does provide a test,  I am not sure we can get one done prior to the flight back into the US.

2. About how long prior to the cruise did you receive your flight information (we were able to get the Viking free flights)?

3. Didn't purchase the insurance but considering it (have about 10 more days to be eligible to purchase from Viking); what are some opinions on purchase, no purchase, or purchase from 3rd party insurance company?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

@BillK400- Onboard you will submit a daily saliva sample into a test tube in addition to a health questionnaire & temperature check, via face scan. On I believe the second to last night of your cruise you will be provided a paper document as your Covid-19 neg proof. No hassle of having to process a test on your own during the cruise. Pre-cruise is a different story. A few of us on here who were on the first few sailings were freaking out with labyrinth of details required. Definitely stay tuned to your MyVikingJourney for your updated info regarding Verify, health questionnaire, & obtaining your Bermuda Travel Authorization.

I'm coming back for the Sept. 3 & 10 sailings. So 28 days out I don't have my flight info yet, soon I hope. Your documents including luggage tags, airport transfer sticker, ect. should arrive by mail above two weeks before sail date.

Always, always, & if I didn't say it yet, always purchase travel insurance! Going through Viking is convenient or you may purchase through your TA. Make sure the insurance you purchase specifically covers COVID-19/Bermuda. 

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

1 hour ago, BillK400 said:

Just booked the 9/10/21 Bermuda Escape cruise a few days ago and I have a few questions for those of you that have taken the cruise or about to take the cruise:

1. As a COVID test is required to fly back into the US does Viking give you the test? I assume (currently waiting on flight info) we will be flying out after disembarkation and if Viking does provide a test,  I am not sure we can get one done prior to the flight back into the US.

2. About how long prior to the cruise did you receive your flight information (we were able to get the Viking free flights)?

3. Didn't purchase the insurance but considering it (have about 10 more days to be eligible to purchase from Viking); what are some opinions on purchase, no purchase, or purchase from 3rd party insurance company?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

@BillK400 Check on whether or not you can still get the Tripmate insurance through Viking. We purchased a cruise that at the time of booking was less than 60 days from embarkation and declined the travel insurance. We then decided that it would be good to have the travel insurance through Viking and the same day spoke with them. They told us that we could not purchase it because it was less than 120 days from embarkation. Would only be allowed to purchase the insurance at the time of booking.  Tripmate states specifically that this is true.  We ended up buying insurance separately. You may get a different answer than we did - I can only tell you what I was told.

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 3.15.25 PM.png

20 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

@BillK400 Check on whether or not you can still get the Tripmate insurance through Viking. We purchased a cruise that at the time of booking was less than 60 days from embarkation and declined the travel insurance. We then decided that it would be good to have the travel insurance through Viking and the same day spoke with them. They told us that we could not purchase it because it was less than 120 days from embarkation. Would only be allowed to purchase the insurance at the time of booking.  Tripmate states specifically that this is true.  We ended up buying insurance separately. You may get a different answer than we did - I can only tell you what I was told.

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 3.15.25 PM.png

I haven't checked with Viking, but would probably get the same answer as you...no go. What plan/company did you go with?

6 minutes ago, BillK400 said:

I haven't checked with Viking, but would probably get the same answer as you...no go. What plan/company did you go with?

We went with Tin Leg Luxury. I am not 100% sure that it ticks all the boxes, but I am hoping it will cover what I need (and hope that I don't need anything).

9 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

We went with Tin Leg Luxury. I am not 100% sure that it ticks all the boxes, but I am hoping it will cover what I need (and hope that I don't need anything).

I think the important things I would look for are: trip cancelled at last minute if one of us gets COVID and can't fly (test positive within the 72 hr. pre flight window) or test positive at time getting on the ship (I assume we would not be allowed to embark) and paying for expenses if we test positive at end of cruise and can't fly back/need to isolate in Bermuda.

Thanks for the info. I will check out the company you used.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting a link to the review!

Based upon all the research and tips posted by all who have experienced Bermuda trips, I took a leap and booked the 8/13 sailing.😀

This will be my first Viking trip but from all of feedback and reviews, thinking this will just be the start of my relationship with Viking.

I can't tell you how much I have relied on the information gathered on cc to guide me through what I need to prepare for the trip and what to expect along the way.

Tomorrow will be Covid PCR test and fingers crossed, Tuesday I can submit BTA form.

Unfortunately the roll call started for 8/13 is silent, I'm sure I will connect with fellow cruisers once I step on to the ship.

Again, thank you for all your posting, tips and words of wisdom. I believe the term used was trail blazers and that aptly describes all of you!

Paula

• Like 3

Hopefully, by now, everyone is aware of the morning saliva in a tube routine required for Covid-19 testing.  What you might not know, or think of, is that you will receive a phone call from housekeeping if you decide to sleep in and they haven't received your tube(s) by around 10 AM.  My dad (84) regularly sleeps past 10 and we received the phone call twice.  Fortunately, it only woke him up once. I haven't seen an absolute deadline for providing the test tube(s) but if you are planning to sleep in on an at sea day or otherwise you might let your cabin steward/housekeeping know the night before. I decided that I would rather deal with aggravated housekeeping than my dad's dementia aggravated by not getting a full night's sleep. They were understanding of our situation but were insistent that we provide them as soon as possible.

13 minutes ago, SRHall64 said:

Hopefully, by now, everyone is aware of the morning saliva in a tube routine required for Covid-19 testing.  What you might not know, or think of, is that you will receive a phone call from housekeeping if you decide to sleep in and they haven't received your tube(s) by around 10 AM.  My dad (84) regularly sleeps past 10 and we received the phone call twice.  Fortunately, it only woke him up once. I haven't seen an absolute deadline for providing the test tube(s) but if you are planning to sleep in on an at sea day or otherwise you might let your cabin steward/housekeeping know the night before. I decided that I would rather deal with aggravated housekeeping than my dad's dementia aggravated by not getting a full night's sleep. They were understanding of our situation but were insistent that we provide them as soon as possible.

Could you do the sample before going to bed?

17 minutes ago, formernuke said:

Could you do the sample before going to bed?

The tubes are provided at turn down time so I don't see why not but my dad would go straight to bed after dinner so that would not have worked for us either.  I don't think that you are supposed to eat or drink within an hour before the sample is provided.

50 minutes ago, SRHall64 said:

The tubes are provided at turn down time so I don't see why not but my dad would go straight to bed after dinner so that would not have worked for us either.  I don't think that you are supposed to eat or drink within an hour before the sample is provided.

No food or beverage  30 minutes before you do the saliva test. 

On 8/8/2021 at 11:10 AM, paulapatti4 said:

Thank you for posting a link to the review!

Based upon all the research and tips posted by all who have experienced Bermuda trips, I took a leap and booked the 8/13 sailing.😀

This will be my first Viking trip but from all of feedback and reviews, thinking this will just be the start of my relationship with Viking.

I can't tell you how much I have relied on the information gathered on cc to guide me through what I need to prepare for the trip and what to expect along the way.

Tomorrow will be Covid PCR test and fingers crossed, Tuesday I can submit BTA form.

Unfortunately the roll call started for 8/13 is silent, I'm sure I will connect with fellow cruisers once I step on to the ship.

Again, thank you for all your posting, tips and words of wisdom. I believe the term used was trail blazers and that aptly describes all of you!

Paula

See you August 13, Paula! I'm on that cruise and packing as I type!

--Susan

Hi Susan-

I'm anxiously awaiting my PCR test results. The suitcase is out with clothes sitting beside it- not putting anything in until BTA is submitted-didn't want to jinx myself.

Looking forward to starting vacation.😀

Paula

• Like 1

We just got off the ship and will do a full review when I am able, but for those of you about to board on Friday (the 13th), just know the following:

1. Viking is now the 6th line that I have sailed and without question, will be my go-to line if I can help it. 

2. I have never experienced the quality of food and service on a cruise ship (or on land for that matter) ever before. The crew all GENUINELY want you to be happy and they also all seem so genuinely happy to work for Viking. 

3. The little things. There was a post on here recently talking about the "little things" that Viking does best. I can't wait to make my list as every day, we found a new one that made us so happy.

I am happy to answer any questions any of you may have for upcoming Bermuda trips or for any other Viking virgins (as we were)!

• Like 4