Volcano on St Vincent is now code Red and apparently RCL has sent a ship to help evacuate

kearney

Latest I heard from the Prime Minister of St Vincent is that they may have to thank the cruise lines for their offer...but they can't get enough people who want to leave... people want to stay on the island. I think they are in a state of shock...  They have experienced pyroclastic flows in the valley's of the volcano and there are still people in some parts of the Red Zone. The PM indicated that ash impacts the motors of the ships making it difficult and dangerous to rescue people who chose to remain in the villages on the coast of the red zone. I hope they are successful in convincing people ... especially those with health issues... to leave... I would hate to see the ships leave and then people rush to leave... very scary... I know that it would be difficult for me to leave my home...so I understand. Now the good news is that there apparently are mountains south of the volcano which should help protect the southern part of the island from the pyroclastic flow...but still the ash is impacting water and food supplies. If you want to listen to the PM's discussion here is a link PM discussing the situation on St Vincent (first part discussing the volcanic activity, around 58 minutes..discusses cruise ships)