Volcano on St Vincent is now code Red and apparently RCL has sent a ship to help evacuate

kearney

I posted this under the Royal Caribbean form, but thought I would note it here. Apparently the volcano on St Vincent is getting close to popping and they have ordered an evacuation of a northern section of the Island. RCCL has offered three cruise ships to help evacuate residents and take them to other islands. Carnival has also offered assistance. It appears Serenade of the Seas is on its way along with Reflection.  check out marinetraffic.com if you want to track ships progress. Amazing what you can learn in real time....  Just checked it and it looks like Silhouette may be joining them, since it just left Barbados heading in that direction. It is really nice to see the cruise lines jumping in so quickly to offer assistance.  I am hoping and praying that this is not going to be needed help... but apparently the dome has been rising and has reached the top of the crater.  Here is a link to a news story about the situation a few hours ago.. news story on volcano

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks....please keep us updated if you learn more

And if you watch the YouTube news story, you will hear the Prime Minister say that those who will be evacuated to nearby islands will be required to be vaccinated. It doesn’t sound like they are overlooking pandemic protocols.  Evacuees were even told to pack sanitizer.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

Alas the risk of island life...when the island has a volcano on it. Just hope they can avoid a White Island situation and get everyone off that needs to get off. map showing the red zone being evacuated

I am assuming that most of the population is to the south... at least I hope so...it looks like the population is over 100k but that may include other islands.

1 hour ago, kearney said:

I posted this under the Royal Caribbean form, but thought I would note it here. Apparently the volcano on St Vincent is getting close to popping and they have ordered an evacuation of a northern section of the Island. RCCL has offered three cruise ships to help evacuate residents and take them to other islands. Carnival has also offered assistance. It appears Serenade of the Seas is on its way along with Reflection.  check out marinetraffic.com if you want to track ships progress. Amazing what you can learn in real time....  Just checked it and it looks like Silhouette may be joining them, since it just left Barbados heading in that direction. It is really nice to see the cruise lines jumping in so quickly to offer assistance.  I am hoping and praying that this is not going to be needed help... but apparently the dome has been rising and has reached the top of the crater.  Here is a link to a news story about the situation a few hours ago.. news story on volcano

Thanks for this!  

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

Thanks for posting this. I saw the original information on twitter... James van Fleet indicated that they were working on a press release. Really glad that they had empty ships in the area. 

Looks like Reflection and Serenade are in port....and just in time..... reports of volcano skewing ash within the last few minutes... follow @NEMOSVG on twitter or @JamesVanFleet on twitter.

• Like 1

So it looks like as many as seven cruise ships total are involved in the support at this time. I wonder if each of them is full of passengers in a holding pattern or whether most of those evacuated are going ashore in St. Lucia and Barbados. 

As of early this morning, Marine Traffic shows them all in the general area:

Celebrity Reflection - either in port or just offshore near St. Vincent

Serenade of the Seas - just offshore in St. Lucia

Celebrity Apex, Edge, and Silhouette - at or just offshore in Barbados - not clear if Edge and Apex are involved in the evac or just riding out the pandemic. Silhouette appears to be docked.

Carnival Legend and Paradise - just offshore near St. Vincent. It looks like Legend may have dropped evacuees in St. Lucia and returning for more.

Apparently they are just ferrying folks as they don't have sufficient staff and supplies to serve as temporary accommodation, which makes sense.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 6:09 PM, cruisestitch said:

At least one news outlet reported that those who will be allowed onto the cruise ships are required to have been vaccinated.

That news outlet are a bunch of idiots.  St. Vincent only received their first batch of covid vaccines 4 days ago.  Most of these passengers are probably from the more rural area of the island plus the small towns near the volcano.  Maybe, one or two are vaccinated??  If ash is raining down on you, covid is the least of your worries.  Heck, the cruise lines, Royal Carribean, Celebrity, & Carnival can test their covid  protocols on real live people, but I doubt any of these ships are sufficiently staffed to do a proper job.  Just glad there were apparently sufficient number of empty cruise ships nearby to help out.  Aren't alot of these ships have a bare minimum of around 100 crew members?  Food may become a problem unless these ships are just used as transportation.

• Like 3

Royal Caribbean President and CEO, Michael Bayley stated yesterday that the media reports requiring people to be vaccinated were not true.  He said a negative test was required, not vaccinations.  

He also posted some great photos yesterday taken by Martina from Argentina in St. Vincent:  https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=219051323341717&set=pcb.219052803341569

Also, please keep the discussion on this thread about the La Soufrière Volcano on St. Vincent.  Thanks so much!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Quote from Mr. Bayley yesterday....

Whatever happened to truth in Journalism. Media reports we only will evacuate vaccinated passengers from St. Vincent. We have stated that all passengers to be evacuated will need a negative Covid test.

2 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Deadzone, news outlets may be idiots, but that info about vaccinations was a quote from the nation’s prime minister, as seen on the video he made which you can see on Youtube

Could only find edited quotes, but it sounds like the vaccinations are required if the cruise ships happens to drop off these passengers on other Caribbean islands.  This sounds like the cruise ships may be stuck with these passengers unless they are only transporting them to other islands of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines.